ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Seatbelts - Do you, don't you? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/587559-seatbelts-do-you-dont-you.html)

The Zohan 01 March 2007 09:07 AM

Seatbelts - Do you, don't you?

Driving in to work today on a d/carriageway. Pulled up into slow/stationary traffic and looking around (as you do). Car next to me has four occupants.
One female adult driver and three school age kids.

Not one of the kids had a seatbelt on only the adult driver.

What is wrong with people? If the drive/adult does not have control enough over the kids or feel it is important then they need a slap or help!

Now then do you wear yours and do you make your passengers?

SJ_Skyline 01 March 2007 09:14 AM

I wear mine and I make my passengers wear theirs.

From you story Paul, natural selection beckons... ;)

Jay m A 01 March 2007 09:21 AM

This should be a no brainer poll - Paul I hope what you saw is an exeption to the rule, unless of course excluding cab drivers!

Abdabz 01 March 2007 09:32 AM

But if you asked the driver "Do you love your kids" they would say "yes". Clearly they dont.
Wearing a seatbelt saved my life and my when I was 5. My little brother and mum were saved also. Our Vauxhall Chevette skidded on diesel at 60mph and hit a stone wall at the side of a bypass in Cheshire. We ended up on the tele show "Play It Safe" with Sir Jimmy Saville as a result of wearing the belts. :D
'Ow's about that then? :)

fast bloke 01 March 2007 09:39 AM

Wear Your Seat Belt!

I didn't used to insist on adult passengers wearing their seatbelt, on the basis that it was their own health and life they were risking. Now I give people a choice - Wear your seatbelt or walk

eldudereno 01 March 2007 09:41 AM

Any adult not wearing or not insisting that their passengers wear a seat belt should be banned for life, simple as that. :mad:

It's also amazing the number of people you see pulling out of car parks whilst on their mobile. :mad: I can sort of understand someone using their mobile on the motorway etc when they cannot stop but whilst pulling away in their car after being parked up!!!! gggrrrr :mad:

:mad: :mad: :mad:

richardg 01 March 2007 09:46 AM

i always wear a seat belt without fail and insist that passengers do too. still amazes me the number of people i see letting their kids crawl around on the parcel shelf! i always used to make our dog wear her harness as well - something people don't often seem to bother with.

richardg 01 March 2007 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by eldudereno (Post 6707907)
It's also amazing the number of people you see pulling out of car parks whilst on their mobile. :mad:

would be nice to think they'll all be fined these days and get points on their licences, but 9 times out of 10 people seem to get away with this :mad: :mad:

fivetide 01 March 2007 09:52 AM

To be fair i don't insist on adults in the back but most do anyway.

5t.

hutton_d 01 March 2007 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by fivetide (Post 6707942)
To be fair i don't insist on adults in the back but most do anyway.

5t.

I do. Not for any thoughts of their safety but if I did hit something they would come flying forward and take my head off. No thanks .....

And the people who let their kids go beltless need a good kicking! 'Oh, but he just takes it off ' .... Sorry, but you lay down the law - not your kids!

Dave

PeteBrant 01 March 2007 10:34 AM

Insisting that kids wear seatbelts is of course entirely sensible and correct. However, I do not insist adults wear seatbelts. It is up to them if they want to go through the windscreen.

Chris L 01 March 2007 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by PeteBrant (Post 6708048)
Insisting that kids wear seatbelts is of course entirely sensible and correct. However, I do not insist adults wear seatbelts. It is up to them if they want to go through the windscreen.

Or more to the point, killed by the airbag. Seat belts are an integral part of the process - they are designed to hold you back when the air bag goes off - if you don't wear them, you'll be thrown forward and even if the crash doesn't kill you, the force of the air bag going off will in many cases, be enough to break your neck.

I don't think this point is made clear enough. It's why airbags are marked SRS - Supplementary Restraint System and not Primary - which is the seatbelt.

From an adult perspective I don't think there should be a law forcing people to wear them - it's common sense, rather like wearing a helmet when riding a bike. Natural selection and all that...

The number of people you see not wearing a seat belt never ceases to amaze me.

Prasius 01 March 2007 11:08 AM

I insist that *everyone* in my car wears a seatbelt. At the end of the day as the driver you are responsible for the safty of those in your car.

And anyhow - like above - if they wanted to die horribly going through the screen then you'rer right; its kind of upto them - what I object to is them killing me, or the front passenger, on their little flight.

PeteBrant 01 March 2007 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Prasius (Post 6708161)
At the end of the day as the driver you are responsible for the safty of those in your car.

No you aren't. You can't force an adult to wear a seatbelt (well you could obviously refuse to take them anywhere unless the belt up).

However, you have no "official" responsibility for them wearing the seat belt - If you got stopped by the police it would be the passenger that had to cough up..

David Lock 01 March 2007 11:15 AM

I'm usually too busy fiddling with the phone to think about seatbelts....

It's the poor seagulls that I worry about. :)

bootsy 01 March 2007 11:18 AM

me and my sister got out of this alive thanks to seatbelts
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...y13/img016.jpg
we got hit by a pikey in a stolen sierra on the wrong side of the road

KiwiGTI 01 March 2007 11:18 AM

Typical western attitudes displayed here. Seatbelts are only for people who are afraid of death.

bootsy 01 March 2007 11:26 AM

what make you say that:wonder:

fivetide 01 March 2007 11:35 AM

Well i got out of this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...a/IMG_0085.jpg

thanks to the seatbelt. Kids always make sure they belt up. As i said adults not necessarily but we rarely have passengers and i have to say most people do belt up.

Had a bruised shoulder from the Supra smash, that was it.

5t.

Prasius 01 March 2007 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI (Post 6708189)
Typical western attitudes displayed here. Seatbelts are only for people who are afraid of death.

Due to a lack of any indication that this is sarcasm. You are an Idiot.

KiwiGTI 01 March 2007 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Prasius (Post 6708259)
Due to a lack of any indication that this is sarcasm. You are an Idiot.

And you are an unintelligent cock.

myblackwrx 01 March 2007 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI (Post 6708189)

I am confused by this if it's the law (in this country) then being afraid of death has nothing to do with seatbelts (not having a go just need you to quantify your reasoning please)

KiwiGTI 01 March 2007 12:46 PM

FFS, how do people cope in real life without smilies.

Prasius 01 March 2007 01:01 PM

Because this is an internet forum, not a face to face conversation. You should be able to work out the rest for yourself.

myblackwrx 01 March 2007 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI (Post 6708468)

ah-ha problem with comments not using smilies can't 'hear' the inflection in your voice indicating sarcasm and on this website it's hard to know how to take any comment (even with smilies)

bootsy 01 March 2007 01:04 PM

you could try answering the question

SwissTony 01 March 2007 01:12 PM

always wear mine and as I have kids, I make them wear them as well..no arguements.

I have been know, on the odd occasion, when driving from home to the petrol station down the road, a matter of metres, not to :(, but I usually feel so bad about doing it, that I buckle up 9/10 times for that trip.

loved the sketch from peter kaye about old people and how they just pull the belt over, but wont put it into the slot..just hold it across their chest :D

Markus 01 March 2007 01:22 PM

Always wear a seatbelt and always ensure my passengers are doing so too, if they refuse to wear one then they are politley asked to get out the car.

If seatbelts didn't work then why are the fitted to all cars, and their use, at least for the driver, if not front seat passenger(s), is typically mandatory in most countries.

nathanb 01 March 2007 01:51 PM

As stated daft poll! You deserve to die if anybody risks their life like that! Harsh but true...

Abdabz 01 March 2007 01:54 PM

Ahhhhh now Carol Smilie. I couldnt cope without her.