ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Blood Diamond - Anyone Seen It? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/587551-blood-diamond-anyone-seen-it.html)

P1Fanatic 01 March 2007 07:48 AM

Blood Diamond - Anyone Seen It?

Went last night with the girlfriend and was worried with it being 2.5hrs long but must admit it was really entertaining. Fair play to Di Caprio in this day an age where many big actors stick to the same familiar roles. I thought his accent and mannerisms were very good.

Overall a very good and and thoroughly enjoyable film.

Did make me wonder at the end when they put "its up to the consumer to demand non-conflict diamonds". How the feck does the average joe know what is conflict and what is not.

Simon

SD 01 March 2007 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic (Post 6707673)
Went last night with the girlfriend and was worried with it being 2.5hrs long but must admit it was really entertaining. Fair play to Di Caprio in this day an age where many big actors stick to the same familiar roles. I thought his accent and mannerisms were very good.

Overall a very good and and thoroughly enjoyable film.

Did make me wonder at the end when they put "its up to the consumer to demand non-conflict diamonds". How the feck does the average joe know what is conflict and what is not.

Simon

Most reputable diamond brokers will be able to supply you with a certificate or declaration of originality - It's passed down the line from when the diamond is first cut etc.

Would like to see this one myself but can't persuade the misses to go. Oh well.

Simon.

P1Fanatic 01 March 2007 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by SD (Post 6707717)
Most reputable diamond brokers will be able to supply you with a certificate or declaration of originality - It's passed down the line from when the diamond is first cut etc.

Would like to see this one myself but can't persuade the misses to go. Oh well.

Simon.

I dont profess to be a Diamond expert but where its cut is not where it was sourced. I was trying to get across the fact that if the broker told you it was non-conflict and even gave you a bit of paper saying so, youd never know otherwise even if it was a dodgy one.

I guess at the end of the day all you can do is ask that it comes with the official paperwork. I just found it funny that they put such an onus on the buyer.

Simon

SiPie 01 March 2007 08:43 AM

Thoroughly enjoyed the film (much to my surprise)

His accent took a bit of getting used to but very good none the less :thumb:

Scenes of the refugee camps sure brought some reality home :eek:

P1Fanatic 01 March 2007 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by SiPie (Post 6707762)
Thoroughly enjoyed the film (much to my surprise)

His accent took a bit of getting used to but very good none the less :thumb:

Scenes of the refugee camps sure brought some reality home :eek:

Aye, I thought my girlfriend would have found it boring but at the end she told me she really enjoyed it as well.

He takes some stick for Titanic and Romeo & Juliet does old Leonardo but he has actually done some very good films (inc Titanic imho).

Certainly is a wake up call. If you ever thought you had a rough upbringing or issues in your life you may think again after watching this film.

Thumbs up from me :thumb:

Simon

SiPie 01 March 2007 08:56 AM

Certainly is a wake up call. If you ever thought you had a rough upbringing or issues in your life you may think again after watching this film.
Yeah....especially the Sierra Leone death squads, filled with kids :eek: Terrifying.

RichB 01 March 2007 09:03 AM

Good film, quite disturbing in places but entertaining!

STi wanna Subaru 01 March 2007 09:09 AM

Quality film. jennifer connolly looks good it's worth mentioning.

Cool Chick 01 March 2007 09:16 AM

Brilliant film, thoroughly enjoyed it!! Very hard hitting in certain points..... but a great film none the less.

Brendan Hughes 01 March 2007 09:48 AM

I was thoroughly depressed by how accurate / cynical / brutal it seemed by three-quarters of the way through. Thank heavens for Hollywood's happy endings!

Very impressed by the film and Di Caprio.

Make an effort, go and see it.

davegtt 01 March 2007 12:48 PM

Loved it. I was a bit wary about it at first thinking its going to be a film Id switch off half way through but it had me hooked and didnt want it too end.

Most impressed.

P1Fanatic 01 March 2007 12:55 PM

Glad to know it wasnt just me who thought this film was great. A nice change amongst most of the drivel that comes out these days.

Simon

KiwiGTI 01 March 2007 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic (Post 6707781)
He takes some stick for Titanic and Romeo & Juliet does old Leonardo but he has actually done some very good films (inc Titanic imho).

I think those are his worst.

The Departed, Catch Me If You Can and The Aviator all very good too.

P1Fanatic 01 March 2007 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI (Post 6708616)
I think those are his worst.

The Departed, Catch Me If You Can and The Aviator all very good too.

I didnt like R&J either. I loved Catch me If You Can. The Aviator was good but started to drag at the end when he went crazy living in the Cinema and pissing in milk bottles :)

The Beach was also pretty good although not everyones cup of tea. And Gangs of New York I enjoyed.

Simon