ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Sky one and Sky news just got removed from my NTl/Virgin cablebox (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/587538-sky-one-and-sky-news-just-got-removed-from-my-ntl-virgin-cablebox.html)

Lee-B STi Type UK 01 March 2007 12:19 AM

Sky one and Sky news just got removed from my NTl/Virgin cablebox

Boo! :razz:

I just lost sky one and sky news off of my NTL/virgin media cable box, at the stroke of midnight they were turned off. Dont know about any others yet.

I heard about it on the news but thought they (SKY & NTL/Virgin) would have sorted it out before it came to this!

No more brand new simpsons, Lost or others for me now :mad: Well annoyed,

Anyone else had this happen?

#Suppose I will have to sign up for SKY+ now :brickwall#

Lee :thumb:

Tam the bam 01 March 2007 12:27 AM

Happened to me too, pity as Sky 1 was one of the better channels on cable as the rest are ****e, might have to dig the old digi box out again :mad:

Granby 01 March 2007 12:33 AM

Just happened to me as well :( no more lost for me :cry:

Lee-B STi Type UK 01 March 2007 12:39 AM

I just realised that i've lost battlestar galactica aswell (that blonde cylon one is a bit tasty :norty: )

Gutted :cry:

My little boy (and me) will have to settle for the at least 5 year old simpsons repeats on channel 4 on before hollyoaks starts during weekdays now....

Oh well, SKY+ programme recording looks well handy anyway

ScoobyDriverWannabe 01 March 2007 12:43 AM

The internet is your friend

dont bother waiting for them to be shown on TV keep upto dat with the yanks

myblackwrx 01 March 2007 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by ScoobyDriverWannabe (Post 6707543)
The internet is your friend

dont bother waiting for them to be shown on TV keep upto dat with the yanks

That's the main grievence with virgin it wouldn't have been so bad if they cut
Sky 1 off when all the series had ended (e.g. the finale of Stargate is coming up soon) so people are as much as being 'forced' to download the programmes illegally (unless there is a legal way of downloading in this country) or pick Sky.

Andy Porter 01 March 2007 10:09 AM

I think it is a f**cking liberty :mad: greedy b@stards sky

fatherpierre 01 March 2007 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Lee-B STi Type UK (Post 6707541)
I just realised that i've lost battlestar galactica aswell (that blonde cylon one is a bit tasty :norty: )

Gutted :cry:

My little boy (and me) will have to settle for the at least 5 year old simpsons repeats on channel 4 on before hollyoaks starts during weekdays now....

Oh well, SKY+ programme recording looks well handy anyway

Battlestar's on Bravo right now.

Simon C 01 March 2007 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by myblackwrx (Post 6707962)
That's the main grievence with virgin it wouldn't have been so bad if they cut
Sky 1 off when all the series had ended (e.g. the finale of Stargate is coming up soon) so people are as much as being 'forced' to download the programmes illegally (unless there is a legal way of downloading in this country) or pick Sky.

Worse than that, looks like SG1 could be getting the chop too, so could be last ever SG1.

KiwiGTI 01 March 2007 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Andy Porter (Post 6707972)
I think it is a f**cking liberty :mad: greedy b@stards sky

Don't you mean Virgin?

They are the ones not willing to stump up the cash, in fact in todays paper they were even saying that the Sky channels weren't popular - which I think is BS because some of the most popular series are shown on it. They'll definitely lose customers.

As for downloading off the internet - I don't particularly want to put up with the low quality and arsing about.

Apparition 01 March 2007 10:41 AM

There was a full page ad in the press about this from Sky the other day.
Yve

The Chief 01 March 2007 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI (Post 6708069)
Don't you mean Virgin?

They are the ones not willing to stump up the cash, in fact in todays paper they were even saying that the Sky channels weren't popular - which I think is BS because some of the most popular series are shown on it. They'll definitely lose customers.

As for downloading off the internet - I don't particularly want to put up with the low quality and arsing about.

Both channels have their versions here but i thought it was Sky putting up the prices and Virgin wouldn't play ball as they would have had to pass the increases onto their customers.

By the sounds of it Virgin tried to reach a compromise at the last minute and Sky did not want to know and today pulled the plug.

I think it is more Sky than Virgin they've always put profit before their customers:mad:

I may be wrong though:wonder:

JackClark 01 March 2007 10:48 AM

Pass the increase to the customer, I don't blame them, I mean they only made a billion last year.

myblackwrx 01 March 2007 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Simon C (Post 6708066)
Worse than that, looks like SG1 could be getting the chop too, so could be last ever SG1.

This is the last season of SG-1 (I watched the Sky special) but 1 big character is going over to Atlantis which is taking over.

KiwiGTI 01 March 2007 11:21 AM

It's only 3p,per customer, per day.

Sky News: Cable Customers Lose Channels

fatherpierre 01 March 2007 11:27 AM

Balls.

Didn't realise Sky Sports News had gone.......

Only pain in switching is you have to get a BT line and wait ages for the changeover.

SirFozzalot 01 March 2007 11:34 AM

Glad I opted for Sky over cable now. :D ;)

FlightMan 01 March 2007 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI (Post 6708196)
It's only 3p,per customer, per day.

Sky News: Cable Customers Lose Channels

Of course, that's an unbiased opinion from a Murdoch owned news broadcaster. :wonder:

FlightMan 01 March 2007 11:40 AM

:rolleyes:

Originally Posted by fatherpierre (Post 6708215)
Balls.

Didn't realise Sky Sports News had gone.......

Only pain in switching is you have to get a BT line and wait ages for the changeover.

Not the only pain. Due to the Sky satellites low inclination, only those properties with a clear view can actually get a signal. My house is in no way untypical, but i can't get a signal.

Way to go Sky! :rolleyes:

Reffro 01 March 2007 11:47 AM

This is all Sky's doing, they are trying to squeeze out Virgin Media, as they realise that they can't compete with them. I pay £43pm for TV ( which was all channels execpt Sky Movies and Sports), 2MB unlimited Broadband and phone. No way can Sky match that, plus cable broadband is way better than ADSL.

Sky are trying to dominate the market using price to squeeze out competitors, and their newspapers to fight a propaganda war.

cottonfoo 01 March 2007 11:58 AM

The are a lot of people who live in places where they're not allowed to have a dish, so they're pretty much stuck. Personally I find standard ADSL far superior to cable provided access anyway because of the stupid, brain-dead methods used to prevent you from having more than one machine on your network on some operators :)

Kirsty Towler 01 March 2007 12:03 PM

I called Virgin last week and was told that Sky News would be staying!
Got up this morning and low and behold - no Sky News.

Just spoken to Virgin media and they've agreed to upgrade me free of charge to the extra large tv package and the extra large broadband package free for the next 12 months. Only a year I know but I hardly watched Sky One and have freeview for Sky News lol

Feel like I've kinda won, but know where you guys are coming from

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

KiwiGTI 01 March 2007 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by FlightMan (Post 6708252)
Of course, that's an unbiased opinion from a Murdoch owned news broadcaster. :wonder:

I'd still trust them over the BBC.

myblackwrx 01 March 2007 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Reffro (Post 6708283)
This is all Sky's doing, they are trying to squeeze out Virgin Media, as they realise that they can't compete with them. I pay £43pm for TV ( which was all channels execpt Sky Movies and Sports), 2MB unlimited Broadband and phone. No way can Sky match that, plus cable broadband is way better than ADSL.

Sky are trying to dominate the market using price to squeeze out competitors, and their newspapers to fight a propaganda war.

So what are Virgin going to replace all the shows that you can get on Sky One with?:confused:

Prasius 01 March 2007 12:09 PM

And there are lots and lots and lots of people who will *never* have cable.

So we don't care. :p

The Chief 01 March 2007 12:17 PM

i feel this is personal - Murdock and Branson have disliked each other for feckin' years.

This i feel is Murdocks revenge:confused:

FlightMan 01 March 2007 01:19 PM

Here's a thought.

Stick 2 fingers up to both these childish billionaires, and try this instead!

BBC NEWS | Technology | BitTorrent download portal debuts

warrenm2 01 March 2007 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Kirsty Towler (Post 6708328)

Just spoken to Virgin media and they've agreed to upgrade me free of charge to the extra large tv package and the extra large broadband package free for the next 12 months. Only a year I know but I hardly watched Sky One and have freeview for Sky News lol

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Also just phoned them, they have upgraded me to 10MB indefinitely (from 4MB) for no extra cost. Will take a month to sort so giving me 1 month free broadband....

Deals are there to be had.......

The Chief 01 March 2007 02:47 PM

TBH i've always thought that Murdock was a slimy little s*** and i would love someone to give him a bloody nose for a change.

As much as Branson does a lot of stuff for publicity the way he handled the train crash last week and people in general gets a thumbs up from me.

i really do think he is a decent enough bloke (as well as a hard nosed businessman)

^Qwerty^ 01 March 2007 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by FlightMan (Post 6708583)
Here's a thought.

Stick 2 fingers up to both these childish billionaires, and try this instead!

BBC NEWS | Technology | BitTorrent download portal debuts

Can't register in the UK?