ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   defi's (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/586871-defis.html)

stevie1982 26 February 2007 09:19 PM

defi's

need some pointers please

just picked up my new toy a P1 will poat up some pictures when i get the chance.

what i need to do is fit some gauges and i have been recommended that defi's are the best on the market

can anyone tell me the best place to get a set from and what i will need other than the pod and gauges themselves? do the gauges come with senders and do you need a control unit or anything

thanks

steve

stevie1982 26 February 2007 09:32 PM

sorry also what is the difference between the defi link gauge and the BF

stevie1982 26 February 2007 09:33 PM

sorry also what is the difference between the defi link gauge and the defi BF gauge?

are they that much better and worth spending the extra money on them?

thanks

scottishcruiser 26 February 2007 10:14 PM

Hey mate am going to be selling my DEFI white faced gauges soon(ish).. Its a full kit, which compromises of 1 x 60mm boost, 1 x 60mm oil temp & 1 x 60mm water temp, the defi control unit and also all teh cables/sensors.

If you look for my posts you will see I haev been trying to get a feel for what there worth and the general opinion is about £300 delviered, which I think is fair considering £500+ RRP..

Im not entirely sure difference between the white/dark faced (BF), but I am sure someone can comment..

If your interested, give em a PM or e-mail/MSN me and we can talk.

Regards,

J.

funkyspider 26 February 2007 10:14 PM

Don't know if they are the best - they are certainly the most expensive. You're looking at 300+ for a set of 3 including the link controller secondhand.

I'd certainly steer clear of the newer led gauges that claim to be 'like defi' from prosport and autogauge.

This site will give you a good overview of the defi range
Defi - Defi-Link Meter BF

alcazar 27 February 2007 05:41 PM

The three you need are oil pressure, oil temperature and boost.

You need a control box too, Defis come with senders and wiring.

Try Scoobymania, mine were a lot less than £500 inc the pod and an adaptor to fit the oil temperature gauge.

IMHO, buy whichever ones most closely match your OE dials, so white faced in a P1.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/09...gauges_etc.jpg

Alcazar

MaDaSS 27 February 2007 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by stevie1982 (Post 6699588)
sorry also what is the difference between the defi link gauge and the defi BF gauge?

are they that much better and worth spending the extra money on them?

thanks

The BF range are called Black Faced, as this is what they look like when turned off. No dials, etc, show.
They do a turn on and turn off light up routine which if you goto the Defi website you can see all about them.
Defi - Defi-Link Meter BF
The Defi BF gauges have to be connected via the Defi link controller. Upto 6 in all.
The above website is full of info all about them :D

stevie1982 27 February 2007 09:02 PM

thanjks guys,

it has been mentioned that defis are not the best but the most expensive now if this is the case can you tell me which are the best and why?

its just i spoke with lenn at subaru4you and bob from brdevelopments and they both said defis where tops on their list

any explinations

steve

alcazar 27 February 2007 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by stevie1982 (Post 6703459)
thanjks guys,

it has been mentioned that defis are not the best but the most expensive now if this is the case can you tell me which are the best and why?

steve

That was not what was said. The original poster stated he DIDN'T KNOW if they were the best..........

Alcazar

stevie1982 27 February 2007 09:37 PM

ok my mistake didint read it properly so i take it back sorry no offence ment

alcazar 28 February 2007 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by stevie1982 (Post 6703590)
ok my mistake didint read it properly so i take it back sorry no offence ment

None taken;)

Defis MAY not be the best, but are certainly up there amongst the best.

Alcazar

scoob_wrx1 17 March 2007 11:41 AM

hi mate intrested in the gauges have u got a contact number thanks mark

alcazar 17 March 2007 02:56 PM

Here you go:

ScoobyMania Online Shop

Click on "Our Location" down the left hand side.

Alcazar

Also, seen here?:

https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...-buy-whos.html

rb5 286 17 March 2007 04:36 PM

or even cheaper here: Defi guages, controller & centre pod - The RB320 Owners Club Forum

olliecampbell 18 March 2007 08:03 PM

Hey Alcazar,

Was it hard getting the top dash bin off/out? Im just about to try so that i can fit the exact same Defis as you.

Sorry for hijacking....

pippyrips 18 March 2007 09:57 PM

i got a full set of BF's, controller unit, all sensors, defi pod and knocklink built-in to the pod for £350 in the wanted section - "sale of the f**king century!"

Worth a shot:)

alcazar 18 March 2007 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by olliecampbell (Post 6759256)
Hey Alcazar,

Was it hard getting the top dash bin off/out? Im just about to try so that i can fit the exact same Defis as you.

Sorry for hijacking....

Nope, easy. Open lid, prise out two screw covers, undo screws.

Thread strong string, or a cloth through the catch on the base, and PULL hard forwards, (towards you, ie: rear of car).

I then removed the lid, (you can get at the screws now it's out), drilled a hole in the rear of the base to take the single Defi wire that has to come through, (allow for size of connector), refitted base with wire poking through, and fastened pod to base with two blobs of clear silicone.

Alcazar

olliecampbell 19 March 2007 11:47 AM

Brilliant, i was hoping it was going to be as easy as that! Just was a little worried about pulling too hard on the bin and ripping it apart!

Pippy...that was a good deal!!!!!

pippyrips 19 March 2007 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by olliecampbell (Post 6760468)
Brilliant, i was hoping it was going to be as easy as that! Just was a little worried about pulling too hard on the bin and ripping it apart!

Pippy...that was a good deal!!!!!

:D

Andy 02STI 07 April 2007 07:19 AM

I also have white faced boost, water temp, oil temp, controller, wiring, boost sensor and water temp sensor (no oil sensor) for sale if anyone is interested.

pm for more info