ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Which oil for winter? (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/58554-which-oil-for-winter.html)

JohnD 12 September 2001 10:44 AM

Would I.M. go as far as a chemical analysis of the oil in the sump to determine its make? especially as it could be a few thousand miles old! If you`ve put a non approved oil in, surely you are not going to admit it?
J.

[Edited by JohnD - 12/9/2001 10:46:54 AM]

Dave T-S 12 September 2001 07:35 PM

Hoppy
Of course Shell Helix semi synth isn't the "best" oil around - but that's what Subaru UK recommend......if I were to have an engine let go, I don't want the possibility of that nice Mr Swatman trying to tell me it was because I put a non recommended oil in.

Our only engine mods are exhaust and panel air filter. If, say, a piston went, they would have a hard job blaming the engine failure on those mods.....

[Edited by Dave T-S - 12/9/2001 7:37:49 PM]

TonyBurns 08 December 2001 11:00 AM

I normally use Mobil1 Motorsport 15w50 fully synthetic but should i use a 5w40 rated fully synthetic for winter??

Tony

JohnD 08 December 2001 11:43 AM

Although full synthetic flows easier than semi. I reckon 15/50 is too thick at low temps. A full syn. of 5/40 or 5/50 seems a better bet and wuold be fine for all year use. I normally use Valvoline "Synpower" 5/50 all year with the "fashionable" oil/filter change every 3000 miles. This is a good oil at a really sensible price. Using a thicker oil in engines with hydraulic valve lifters can give problems, although phase II and Sti`s with solid lifters are ok.
I actually did a very scientific comparison of oils by putting some in transluscent 35mm film containers and popping them into the fridge (and freezer!) The 15/50 Mobil was noticably more reluctant to run than the 5/50 and 10/40.
Just my thoughts. JohnD

bennetm 08 December 2001 12:11 PM

These aren't F1 cars!

Just use the normal bollox. I've got semi castrol magnatec in mine, good as anything.

MB

glen4 08 December 2001 12:13 PM

hee hee

Dave T-S 08 December 2001 09:59 PM

SUK recommend Shell Helix semi synth, and that's what goes in both ours all year round. And, if there should ever be a warranty issue, it's down to them.....

Hoppy 09 December 2001 02:40 PM

Dave, I'm amazed! I know your and Missus' cars are new (under 10,000 miles?) and may not be quite fully run-in yet, but do you really believe a) that the Shell semi-synth is the best, and b) if there was a problem that IM would somehow fail to spot some of the other mods on your engine/s? Serious question, m8.

I run Castrol RS 10-60 but am seriously considering a can of Castol RS 0-50 (I think) to run over winter. On my regular runs to work, shops, and taxi service for half the teenagers in my area, the oil sometimes never gets above 80 degrees (that's a guess based on my wife's P'geot 206 temp gauge - Santa's bringing mine :D ).

Any comments gratefully received.

Richard.