ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Direct PC to PC resource sharing - aaaaagh! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/58475-direct-pc-to-pc-resource-sharing-aaaaagh.html)

Trout... 12 July 2001 10:32 PM

Guys,

thanks for the answers so far...

...I am using a cross-over parallel cable - on the box it says it will work with Windows Direct Cable connection.

So far this has completely thwarted me.

HHxx "The way it works for me is to create a share on the 98 box and password protect it, on the win2k box go - start - run - \\<machinename>\<sharename>." Sorry to be completely thick, but how do I create a share.

And Danny....:p:p:p:p....the problem is I don't work in the Microsoft bit! If fact I don't work with technology of any kind!

Trout

[Edited by Trout - 12/7/2001 10:35:56 PM]

Trout... 07 December 2001 06:52 PM

Does anyone know how to make this work.

I have one PC - steam powered Pentium 1 which is the HOST, Windows 98

I have a second PC - which is the GUEST. Windows 2000

I have set up the Direct connection at both ends and when I go to connect them it all comes apart. They are clearly talking to each other however the GUEST insists on trying a username/password and then I get rejected as the username/password is not recognised.

What am I doing wrong? It is driving me insane!

Any offers of assistance would be gratefully received!

Trout

ptholt 07 December 2001 07:45 PM

might be a silly thing to say, but all i did was get two network cards, one utp patch cable, give both pcs 'names' place them in the same workgroup etc, give them different ip address's in the same subnet and gateway then shared out the drives between the two......

XRS 07 December 2001 08:37 PM

Should that be a crossover cable?

Or would Trout need a hub?

I never did make direct cable connection work.

With XP Pro it does everything for you with network cards, hub and cables.

mega_stream 07 December 2001 09:21 PM

x over cable indeed

Squeaker 07 December 2001 09:52 PM

lap-link and a cross over serial cable....

ptholt 07 December 2001 10:10 PM

nah sod serial, just get a cat 5 utp patch cable, much quicker.
got one sitting here if you need it trout.

HHxx 07 December 2001 10:17 PM

Trout,
easy answer, well it works for me :D

The way it works for me is to create a share on the 98 box and password protect it, on the win2k box go - start - run - \\<machinename>\<sharename>. Up pops a username/password box, forget the username and just enter the password. This works for me at work. Never tried without password as of yet...

H
ps. are u using tcpip or netbeui??

Danny Fisher 07 December 2001 10:23 PM

Trout, WHO DO YOU WORK FOR? ;)

Dan

HHxx 07 December 2001 10:33 PM

Trout,
parallel cable sucks, doesn't work well if not at all with win2k.

Go Ethernet:D

H Power

HHxx 07 December 2001 10:38 PM

Trout,
right click a folder/drive and choose the option that say "Sharing":D

H Power to the rescue:D

Trout... 07 December 2001 10:39 PM

HHxx,

neither machine has a network card.

By the time I get that sorted I might as well have bought an external CD writer - and then I can't get one with a parallel cable, they're all USB and the 98 machine don't have it.

The objective is simply to move some files from the old machine to the new one - there must be a way to do it!

Cheers,

Trout

Trout... 07 December 2001 10:41 PM

HHxx,

this is sounding interesting...final question, how to establish the machine name of the 98 machine - if I do My Computer properties it does not have a 'name' :(

Cheers,

Trout

HHxx 07 December 2001 10:43 PM

Trout,
Properties on Network neighbourhood or Network control panel:D

H

Trout... 07 December 2001 10:48 PM

Off to give it a go.

Thanks!

Trout

Trout... 07 December 2001 11:12 PM

Sadly it didn't work - it couldn't establish a network connection - it needed to Direct Cable Connection to be established first - so I am back to square one as when I try to connect it is seeking a valid logon in the domain.

And no matter what I do I can't find a way to set it up!

It is looking for Logon/Password/Domain

I remain at a loss.

Trout :(

PS Thanks for trying guys!

HHxx 07 December 2001 11:17 PM

Trout,
buy 2 network cars for around £5 each, they are dirt cheap and very cheap they are indeed, else if you are by my way then I'll give you 2 network cards and the cable:)

H

jjones 07 December 2001 11:18 PM

CANT HELP!

no the exact probelm - it connects then asks for a poxy username and password that you don't know!!

you can use the windows comms package that i cannot for the life of me name!! OH OH HYPERTERMINAL!!!! this works with a serial connection (bit slow!!) but does work!! (goto to add remove programs / windows setup / communications)

alternaltively goto www.bootdisk.com and download a freeware link program from there.

good luck!!

Trout... 07 December 2001 11:20 PM

Final comment - honest...

...the card slots on the two machines are different sizes! Certainly the sound card on my old machine, which I thought was standard, does not fit the newer machine.

How ridiculous is that?

Trout :D

HHxx 07 December 2001 11:24 PM

Trout,
I'm sorry to say that I have to give up:D, I'm not going to even mention the slots;):D

H

Trout... 07 December 2001 11:27 PM

HH,

yeah, I started with the plan of simply installed the hard disk as a slave drive, but the connectors were different sizes. It has gone down hill from there ....:rolleyes:

Trout :D

HHxx 07 December 2001 11:30 PM

Trout,
Give me a shout if you need any hints:D

As for the HD they shouldn't be unless you have 2.5" ide drive or scsi drives:D

H