ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Essex Subaru Owners Club (https://www.scoobynet.com/essex-subaru-owners-club-362/)
-   -   Advice from those with young children (https://www.scoobynet.com/essex-subaru-owners-club-362/583906-advice-from-those-with-young-children.html)

ScoobyMaz 16 February 2007 08:31 PM

Advice from those with young children

My little girl has had a stomach bug for the last few days, so yesterday although she seemed to be getting better, we decided to take her to the doctors. All was fine, she has some viral infection which will clear up on its own. However, on the way home she was sick and some went on to the seat (and everything else she was wearing....I will spare the details!!). My question is a simple one......how on earth can you get rid of the smell??:wonder: Anyone have any experience of this? Or is it a case of a full valet, if so any recommendations?

IN THE STICKS 16 February 2007 08:34 PM

Not that I've experienced sick on the seat , but I find that Febreeze stuff to be quite good at masking smells

Dave

Adidas 16 February 2007 08:36 PM

Maz,

My old next door neighbour was a taxi driver. If someone was sick in the cab he'd use something called Zoflora to clear it up and hide the smell. However, it does smell very 'clinical', but he swore by it.

It's still available in Tesco's, Sainsburys etc.

HTH

John1uk 16 February 2007 08:38 PM

i would advise a valet...... spraying anything in the car only masks the smell, when my dayghter was ill she did the same, we tried to hide the smell but it lasted over a week and we then valeted it.

ScoobyMaz 16 February 2007 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by IN THE STICKS (Post 6665840)
Not that I've experienced sick on the seat , but I find that Febreeze stuff to be quite good at masking smells

Dave

Thanks Dave, half a bottle of fabreeze has been sprayed and I can still smell it. It might be physcological but I don't think so. After a day standing on the drive I got in the car tonight and there was definitely "the" smell!!

ScoobyMaz 16 February 2007 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Adidas (Post 6665853)
Maz,

My old next door neighbour was a taxi driver. If someone was sick in the cab he'd use something called Zoflora to clear it up and hide the smell. However, it does smell very 'clinical', but he swore by it.

It's still available in Tesco's, Sainsburys etc.

HTH

I will give it a try tomorrow, trust me clinical will be better than what I have!

IN THE STICKS 16 February 2007 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyMaz (Post 6665868)
Thanks Dave, half a bottle of fabreeze has been sprayed and I can still smell it. It might be physcological but I don't think so. After a day standing on the drive I got in the car tonight and there was definitely "the" smell!!

:( :(

Mrs ESC 16 February 2007 08:44 PM

For a start

If you take your little child out in your beloved car to the Drs and they have a tummy bug:cry:

:brickwall TAKE A BUCKET :brickwall :brickwallWITH YOU:brickwall

Sorry its a mum thing, after 2 kids and 16 years a of being a parent.
You will know next time. and leave the windows open

Try anything as long as it smells nice, how about one of those big smellies that spray everyso often.

stevey 16 February 2007 08:48 PM

2 kids = plenty of sick. So i bought a car with leather

53 16 February 2007 08:52 PM

Same happened to me about 6 months ago. :cry:

Step one: remove all debris with a hoover/vax

Step two: very dilute disinfectant sprayed onto the seat particularly the seams. Rubbed around with tescos baby wipes, nice smell and good amount of wetness in these wipes, plus they don't shred !

Step three dab dry the excess

Step four: re-vax.

Step five: spray until soggy with feebreeze.

In my experience feebreeze really works, but you are right it starts to smell in your head of that which you are trying to hide.

It has taken a couple of months for the psychological smell to disappear but it does go.

Another product I have discovered which is really good and quick drying is

Chemical Guy's Sofast Odour And Bacteria Killer
Available from CARWASHnWAX - Factory Direct Professional Detailing Supplies Warehouse

David at Carwashnwax turns round orders next day during the week.:thumb:

This product works a treat where our dog sleeps in the house, and on other sick accidents in the house.

If I were in your situation now, I would still do all the above but end with a good squirt of the Sofast Odour And Bacteria Killer.

Chemical Guy's do a range of sweet smelling spray fresheners that if spritzed in the air vents will relieve you of the niff of sick.

Best of luck

Stu:thumb:

And yes, after the first time this happened our car is now equipped with a bucket !

Mrs ESC 16 February 2007 08:55 PM

Hope your little girl feel better soon

XXXXX

ScoobyMaz 16 February 2007 09:03 PM

Thanks for all the advice. However, the bucket WAS there, she said she didn't feel sick and by the time we realised she was going to be we put the bucket there and she missed it! The silly thing was we was going to tke the wifes car which has leather seats, but as she was feeling a bit better and hadn't been sick for 24 hours I thought I was safe to take mine. Next time she is ill I will put it in the garage!
Stu, if I wasn't working all weekend I would give it a good clean using your method, now it will have to wait.

ScoobyMaz 16 February 2007 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs ESC (Post 6665951)
Hope your little girl feel better soon

XXXXX

She is much better now, after a week with nothing staying down she is making up for it by eating everything in the house. But she has given it to the wife now!

Mrs ESC 16 February 2007 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyMaz (Post 6665999)
Thanks for all the advice. However, the bucket WAS there, she said she didn't feel sick and by the time we realised she was going to be we put the bucket there and she missed it! The silly thing was we was going to tke the wifes car which has leather seats, but as she was feeling a bit better and hadn't been sick for 24 hours I thought I was safe to take mine. Next time she is ill I will put it in the garage!
Stu, if I wasn't working all weekend I would give it a good clean using your method, now it will have to wait.

Must be your driving then lol.

Just not your week this week then.

Hope Mrs ScoobyMaz is ok soon then.

53 16 February 2007 09:16 PM

It was my fault .......'dad go faster round this one'..........followed by .....http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...3/thpuke-1.gif

Was on my way back from H&S with my new exhaust just fitted, huge smile on my face at the noise...then it disapeared...replaced by a feeling of horror, knowing this was going to take ages to clean up...and in my scoob:cry:

We bought a second car soon after for family trips:thumb:

There's no quick way to clean it up, just have to grin and bear it, methodically doing each bit that got covered and then sniffing for splash back on the back of the seats and door http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...3/thpuke-1.gif

Stu