ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Best way to cook RAW tiger prawns ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/583843-best-way-to-cook-raw-tiger-prawns.html)

spectrum48k 16 February 2007 05:22 PM

Best way to cook RAW tiger prawns ?

Fry in some sesame oil ? How long for ?

or

Can you bake them ?

or

I'll be steaming tuna steaks, so can you steam prawns?

stevem2k 16 February 2007 05:25 PM

course you can. shell and de-vein, cook until just colored all the way through.

Holy Ghost 16 February 2007 05:51 PM

heat your oven to 200 degrees. take a casserole pot, cover the base to a one inch depth with sea salt. let the oven heat up to temperature; put the lid on the pot and stick it in the oven for 30 minutes.

after 30 minutes, take pot out, take the lid off and lay your raw tigers on the salt. put the back lid on & leave for 3 to 4 minutes. no need to put it back in the oven.

take off lid - ta-da! baked tiger prawns with a hint of the sea. serve with melted butter & milled black pepper.

spectrum48k 16 February 2007 05:56 PM

nice

carl 16 February 2007 06:03 PM

what do you do with the 3kg of salt you've just used?

DCI Gene Hunt 16 February 2007 06:04 PM

I cook with 'heat'..... it helps quite a lot :thumb:

fatherpierre 16 February 2007 06:04 PM

Grill them with shells on.

JPL 16 February 2007 06:58 PM

Shell and de-vein... but leave the tail on for finger eating

A few cloves of crushed garlic

BIG knob of butter

Lots and lots of finely chopped finger chillies

Lightly fry garlic in the butter
Add chillies, stir
Add prawns, stir until nice and pink (2-3 mins)

Serve with the chillies and garlic all over them, lovely!!

AFRIKANZ 16 February 2007 07:24 PM

You want to keep it as simple as possible- cook with strips of ginger, garlic and butter, add chillies and salt to taste.....

AFRIKANZ 16 February 2007 07:30 PM

Another way is- fry some diced red onions till golden brown (add some white wine now agakn). Add ginger till brown. Add gralic and some red tined tomatoes for colour. I usually fry some finely chopped red chillies before the onions but this is for the big chilly eaters. Once you've got a nice sauce simmering, add coconut milk and continue cooking the sauce for 8-10 ins. Add prawns until they curl and garnish with coriander.

rabskyline 16 February 2007 07:31 PM

flash pan fried with a knob of salted butter. barely 2-3 mins and thats it...and you can try them wrapped in slivers of scallops.. wrap them in sliver of scallop and put a tooth pick type skewre and pan fry again as before. gorgeous....

fitzscoob 16 February 2007 07:31 PM

I normally have the woman do this sort of work, but hey ho.

Daryl 16 February 2007 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by spectrum48k (Post 6665224)
Fry in some sesame oil ?

Don't fry anything in sesame oil, it burns at a very low temperature - so just add a couple of drops at the end of the cooking time if you want the taste.

As stated above, de-vein them first, then marinate them in some fish sauce, light soy sauce and Shaoxing rice wine (and sesame oil, if you like) for about half an hour to an hour. This will ensure that, however you decide to cook them, they are fantastically tender. Whatever you do though, never overcook prawns! :)

Trout 16 February 2007 07:47 PM

Fried in sesame oil would be disgusting!

An alternative which I used to use as my pulling dish before I got married...

get a saute pan that is the right size so the prawns will cover the bottom.

Into the saute pan put a large knob of butter, one to three birds eye chillies finely sliced, add a glass of dry (white) martini and the juice of one fresh lime. Add a little salt and fresh black pepper.

Heat until simmering nicely and then drop in the prawns whole with the shells on.

Cook until the prawns are evenly pink.

Remove from heat, put in a good handful of roughly chopped fresh coriander and stir.

Serve at the table in the pan with hunks of fresh crusty bread.

Eat with fingers (make sure you have a shell bowl and plenty of serviettes).

Yummy :D

gatty 16 February 2007 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rannoch (Post 6665662)
Fried in sesame oil would be disgusting!

An alternative which I used to use as my pulling dish before I got married...

get a saute pan that is the right size so the prawns will cover the bottom.

Into the saute pan put a large knob of butter, one to three birds eye chillies finely sliced, add a glass of dry (white) martini and the juice of one fresh lime. Add a little salt and fresh black pepper.

Heat until simmering nicely and then drop in the prawns whole with the shells on.

Cook until the prawns are evenly pink.

Remove from heat, put in a good handful of roughly chopped fresh coriander and stir.

Serve at the table in the pan with hunks of fresh crusty bread.

Eat with fingers (make sure you have a shell bowl and plenty of serviettes).

Yummy :D

got any ideas for brains faggots?