ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Turbo Question (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/583809-turbo-question.html)

Keiron 16 February 2007 03:00 PM

Turbo Question

Hi,

I've got a 95 WRX with a TD04 at mo, is a swap to a TD05 a straight forward or will there be a lot of ancillary work to do as well.

Sorry if it's a stupid question - I'd just rather know from the outset

myblackwrx 16 February 2007 03:39 PM

Is your 95wrx a wagon cos they had the td04 whereas the saloon had a td05

Keiron 16 February 2007 03:44 PM

Hi - it's a wagon with the TD04, can I not "upgrade" to the TD05 ??

bob's wagon 16 February 2007 03:50 PM

i think u.k.wagons had a td05 as standard(well mine did!)
bob

myblackwrx 16 February 2007 06:37 PM

You can change to a td05 turbo but i think you will have to change the ecu.

New_scooby_04 16 February 2007 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Keiron (Post 6664804)
Hi,

I've got a 95 WRX with a TD04 at mo, is a swap to a TD05 a straight forward or will there be a lot of ancillary work to do as well.

Sorry if it's a stupid question - I'd just rather know from the outset

Nope, it's not a straight swap mate; at the very least your fueling will be all wrong for the larger turbo. You'd most likely be looking at a new ECU (like Apexi PFC) and re-map. Also, you'll need to look at the injectors, 380s will be too small for the TD05, the fuel pump should be upgraded too. I think you'd also need a larger intercooler.

Those are the 'must dos'

There are more things that are a good idea:

If the std Exhaust is on the car, you'd be much better off going for a sports cat/decat system.

Ported headers

Uprated panel filter

I'd have a word with David at APi - he'll give you some great advice!

Tell him NS04 says hi! :thumb:

Ns04

scoobyman95 16 February 2007 07:50 PM

no you can change I did it in mine and it works fine amd they are a straight swap

New_scooby_04 16 February 2007 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyman95 (Post 6665674)
no you can change I did it in mine and it works fine amd they are a straight swap

Running a TD04 map on a TD05 is asking for a rebuild!

At the very least, you won't be getting the best out of the turbo, at the worst......bang!

Ns04

mickywrx 16 February 2007 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04 (Post 6665558)
Nope, it's not a straight swap mate; at the very least your fueling will be all wrong for the larger turbo. You'd most likely be looking at a new ECU (like Apexi PFC) and re-map. Also, you'll need to look at the injectors, 380s will be too small for the TD05, the fuel pump should be upgraded too. I think you'd also need a larger intercooler.

Ns04

My WRX saloon of a similar age has that size injectors as standard IIRC and TD05 as standard. So unless I'm missing something, :wonder: I'd say you're wrong.

Scoobyfirsttime 16 February 2007 08:23 PM

I would agree that a new ECU would be needed, the mapping on any ECU should be set-up for the components of that are on the car at that time otherwise at the very least you will not be achieving optimum efficiency from your car.......

Obviously a bigger turbo also leads to greater fueling and breathing requirements, it will be drawing a higher level of hot exhaust gases in so common sense says that you should ensure your intercooler is up to the job, as NS04 suggests, increases in inlet temps are potentially disasterous at worst and at the least you won't get the best from your turbo if inlet temps are too warm. This is the reason that so many people with high bhp turbo cars of any type spend so much money on FMICs, spray coolers etc.

My advice is if in doubt speak to one of the many expert car tuners out there.

Darren

StiX 16 February 2007 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by mickywrx (Post 6665758)
My WRX saloon of a similar age has that size injectors as standard IIRC and TD05 as standard. So unless I'm missing something, :wonder: I'd say you're wrong.

No he's right, assuming that an Apexi was used and power was raised to over 320bhp.

Over 300, the slanty intercooler and injectors need to be changed.

Over 320, fuel pump should be changed.

However, if the turbo was changed to a td05 and ecu changed to a Z4 - then bingo instant 256bhp theoretically and no need to change pump, intercooler or injectors.

Also, if the car is an import pre Sep '95 then it can sit the non-cat test so no need for any cats.

My last impreza was a 95 WRX, with a Z4 ecu and a td05 :)

New_scooby_04 16 February 2007 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by StiX (Post 6665983)
No he's right, assuming that an Apexi was used and power was raised to over 320bhp.

Over 300, the slanty intercooler and injectors need to be changed.

Over 320, fuel pump should be changed.

However, if the turbo was changed to a td05 and ecu changed to a Z4 - then bingo instant 256bhp theoretically and no need to change pump, intercooler or injectors.

Also, if the car is an import pre Sep '95 then it can sit the non-cat test so no need for any cats.

My last impreza was a 95 WRX, with a Z4 ecu and a td05 :)

Thanks for the clarification StiX :thumb:

You're quite correct, my spec assumed an aftermarket ECU and remap. Given that 330-350bhp is achievable with a properly tuned TD05 16G set up and appropriate supporting mods, I thought the poster would want to be greedy. That's considerably more expensive than your effective budget conscious solution though! :thumb:

I would add that with a car of that age if you're increasing the power upgrading the fuel pump is a sensible precaution IMHO.

To the poster:

Have a look at Andy F's website for some good general info on the limitations of the std parts.

Ns04

StiX 16 February 2007 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04 (Post 6666208)
Thanks for the clarification StiX :thumb:

You're quite correct, my spec assumed an aftermarket ECU and remap. Given that 330-350bhp is achievable with a properly tuned TD05 16G set up and appropriate supporting mods, I thought the poster would want to be greedy. That's considerably more expensive than your effective budget conscious solution though! :thumb:

I would add that with a car of that age if you're increasing the power upgrading the fuel pump is a sensible precaution IMHO.

To the poster:

Have a look at Andy F's website for some good general info on the limitations of the std parts.

Ns04

No worries :)

And I have a confession - I checked AndyFs website myself before I posted to make sure!!

AndyForrestPerformance

mickywrx 17 February 2007 07:38 PM

:lol1: Forgot about the greed factor. TBH I was presuming that the thread starter only wanted the slight(?) increase in power the TD05 would give. But it is a very slippery slope once modifying starts.

Micky

New_scooby_04 17 February 2007 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by mickywrx (Post 6668528)
:lol1: Forgot about the greed factor. TBH I was presuming that the thread starter only wanted the slight(?) increase in power the TD05 would give. But it is a very slippery slope once modifying starts.

Micky

The only problem here is that if the poster swaps to a TD05 and Z4 ECU they're not using the optimum turbo for the power output A TD05 developing 260bhp would be significantly less nice to drive (and slower point to point) than a well mapped TD04 with supporting mods.

If you're after an assurred 320bhp+ up to 350bhp (with supporting mods) then a TD05 makes a lot of sense, but sub 300bhp there are significantly better turbos for the job.

Quite tricky: if the poster wants the best out of the car, they have to spend whatever they do.

To the poster

Have a word with David at APi. Say NS04 says hi!

Ns04

mickywrx 17 February 2007 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04 (Post 6668625)
The only problem here is that if the poster swaps to a TD05 and Z4 ECU they're not using the optimum turbo for the power output A TD05 developing 260bhp would be significantly less nice to drive (and slower point to point) than a well mapped TD04 with supporting mods.

If you're after an assurred 320bhp+ up to 350bhp (with supporting mods) then a TD05 makes a lot of sense, but sub 300bhp there are significantly better turbos for the job.

Quite tricky: if the poster wants the best out of the car, they have to spend whatever they do.

To the poster

Have a word with David at APi. Say NS04 says hi!

Ns04

Ah, now I get what you meant. Makes sense to me now :)

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Micky

Craigieloon 17 February 2007 09:06 PM

handy thread this. I have just bought a TD04 for my WRX as my VF10 is knackered. I was planning a Z4 but it seems im in need of a scooby chip to sort this out...

Many thanks guys.. saved me a fortune..

Craig