ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Lighten Flywheel or not ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/583390-lighten-flywheel-or-not.html)

~DrEaM~ 14 February 2007 11:42 PM

Lighten Flywheel or not ?

will be getting a Exedy organic fast road clutch, thinking of getting the 4.5kg flywheel as well...

the car is 02 STI

Should i go for it? what are the + and - ??

thanks
kevin

cookstar 14 February 2007 11:43 PM

I was told that for a road car 4.5 is too light, will effect drivabiliy too much.

I had a lightened OE flywheel and it improves throttle response, without effecting the drive at all

stevebt 15 February 2007 06:46 AM

i bought an ACT prolite flywheel from the usa £220 delivered to my door and was 13lbs, the sti 6 speed flywheel is no good for skimming weight off so you will have to buy aftermarket !!

MaDaSS 15 February 2007 08:07 AM

On my 03 WRX i have a Kaiten Chromoly flywheel. Not sure about weight, but i feel it is borderline too light sometimes.
The only info i found on the net, depending on which model Kaiten i have, says it is 5.3 Kg.
So i would NOT go any lighter than that in a WRX.
The car has a tendency to want to stall easier with it, which it will due to less inertia, etc, etc. So you have to watch that.
And i feel, although without going back cant prove, that at 30 mph my car is labouring more than it used to in 4th gear. Would need to drive a normal WRX to be sure though.
Positives are less inertia so a lot easier car starting, loses less revs between gear changes due to less weight. But in reality just means less revs if any to match the next gear speed.
I like the down change more now with the lighter flywheel too for similar reasons to the above.
Basically it just makes for less rotational mass, and i also had RCM lightened pulley set fitted on Monday too during my 60k service at RCMS.
Again aides the rotational mass, etc, etc.
For me, am i glad i have it? Yes i am. It defintely improves the throttle response.
BUT i would be interested to drive a normal WRX to compare now and see what the real differences are one after the other. I only sometimes, (its too late now) if maybe i would have been better with a lightened OEM flywheel, which being a WRX i could have done.
Anyways, its only imho.

~DrEaM~ 15 February 2007 11:08 AM

what effects will be on the 6 speed?

will be getting a Fidanza 4.5kg alloy flywheel

hmhaga 16 February 2007 03:05 PM

A common problem with lightweight flywheels and the 6MT is *serious* gear rattle on deceleration (~3000-2000 rpm). BTDT...

~DrEaM~ 16 February 2007 03:26 PM

anymore advices? need to decide this few days :confused:

surely if its installed correctly it shouldnt rattle?

gaz-cole 16 February 2007 03:42 PM

i would from past experience be getting a lightweight flywheel next time the clutch is done as the improvement is amazing but the weight you have qouted seems abit on the anorexic side for every day ease of use and if you dont like it it would cost to get it put back, but its up to either way you will notice a difference

ride5000 22 February 2007 07:33 PM

i'm quite happy with my 13-odd lb act streetlight flywheel.

there IS more noise on deceleration, due to the lash necessary in the gearbox. you just hear more of it with a lw fly.

i have no intention of going back to oem weight. i drove a friend's with an oem flywheel and it felt like the engine was running on molasses. ;)

ken

poormansporsche 28 February 2007 05:58 AM

+1 I have the ACT Streetlite fly. It's a 6kg and change fly. It's awesome on my V5 RA gearbox. I mean.... DAMN! Love it.

cheers

garrett