ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Technical Topics Archive (https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-topics-archive-427/)
-   -   FRONT MOUNT INTERCOOLER PROJECT (https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-topics-archive-427/582670-front-mount-intercooler-project.html)

bibo_boy 24 July 2007 10:18 AM

Nice thread guys!!!!

Can I ask a couple of questions....

How long does it take to fit a FMIC.....?

My car has two holes in the inr wing... will I still need to cut a large hole?

KIPS 27 July 2007 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by bibo_boy (Post 7133117)
Nice thread guys!!!!

Can I ask a couple of questions....

How long does it take to fit a FMIC.....?

how longs a piece of string should get it done in a day if not a weekend if you got everything to hand

My car has two holes in the inr wing... will I still need to cut a large hole? if yours is the later classic you may not need to

hope this helps kip :thumb:

olliecampbell 03 August 2007 08:45 PM

Excellent stuff mate.....hope its on the Wiki :)

KIPS 11 August 2007 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by olliecampbell (Post 7159699)
Excellent stuff mate.....hope its on the Wiki :)

CHEERS,:thumb: Not sure how to get it on there :wonder:
kip

z1000 23 September 2007 08:46 PM

Thanks in advance as i've the very same intercooler to fit so ur thread has made my life a damn site easier.

Cheers
Steve

KIPS 23 September 2007 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by z1000 (Post 7276201)
Thanks in advance as i've the very same intercooler to fit so ur thread has made my life a damn site easier.

Cheers
Steve

Your welcome Steve
Havent been on her for a while if you have any questions or you get stuck just give us a shout :thumb:

KIP

z1000 14 October 2007 07:19 PM

Got it all fitted although the bumper needs a bit more fettling but main problem is the dump valve.
I've got the old plastic type and am off to get remapped a week tomorrow so need it sorted by next weekend so whats the best option.
Other problem is laptops playing up so cannae get on ebay and some other sites.

KIPS 14 October 2007 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by z1000 (Post 7330669)
Got it all fitted although the bumper needs a bit more fettling but main problem is the dump valve.
I've got the old plastic type and am off to get remapped a week tomorrow so need it sorted by next weekend so whats the best option.
Other problem is laptops playing up so cannae get on ebay and some other sites.

HELLO STEVE, Have emailed you sorry for delay havent been on here in a while you may get some other options as others have retained their original DVs
cheers kip

KIPS 01 January 2008 09:58 PM

JUST POPPED BACK TO WISH EVERYONE HAPPY NEW YEAR
HAVE MOVED AWAY FROM SCOOBIES NOW AND GONE ONTO FORD POP SIT UP AND BEG HOTRODS FANCIED SOMETHING TOTALY DIFFFERN'T
FEEL FREE TO EMAIL IF YOU GET STUCK OR NEED ADVICE

CHEERS ALL KIP

KIPS 09 January 2008 04:59 AM

dazza have pmd you link for turbo jacket
hope you got it fitted ok
cheers kip

hux309 24 February 2008 09:23 AM

Great guide and has given me some things to think about.

Just a heads up though autobahn have now changed their design the ic now mounts upside down and the piping is also different, there's now more of it im assuming they done this to make for a better fit.

The pipe you shaved because it caught the tb has now been made in 2 parts, it starts with a small u bend pipe which then connects to the others.

I'll see if i can knock up a guide for any new buyers that way sn will have guides to cover both styles of intercooler.

New design still comes with the poor clips though they should really sort that one out.

Im hoping i won't need to drill a hole in the wing but i'll worry about that when i get round to it.

But from the guide i have it seems to be a much better fit with the pipe to the turbo sitting near to the suspension turret.

gaz-cole 25 February 2008 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by hux309 (Post 7680807)
Great guide and has given me some things to think about.

Just a heads up though autobahn have now changed their design the ic now mounts upside down and the piping is also different, there's now more of it im assuming they done this to make for a better fit.

The pipe you shaved because it caught the tb has now been made in 2 parts, it starts with a small u bend pipe which then connects to the others.

I'll see if i can knock up a guide for any new buyers that way sn will have guides to cover both styles of intercooler.

New design still comes with the poor clips though they should really sort that one out.

Im hoping i won't need to drill a hole in the wing but i'll worry about that when i get round to it.

But from the guide i have it seems to be a much better fit with the pipe to the turbo sitting near to the suspension turret.

that would be great as i am looking into these new ones at the mo, could you tell me does the new one still hang below the bottom of the front bumper cheers.

hux309 02 March 2008 05:51 AM

Nope it sits inbetween the bumper bar and the frame at the bottom.

One very big downside is that they didn't think of putting on an outlet for the dv now im scratching my head as to what to do. :wonder:

Kind of buggered me up tbh as a remap is due this thursday.

One thing i will add, take the bumper bar out and fit it to the car, makes for fitting the ic much easier, some angle grinding of the bar is required now it sits upside down.

And no cutting the wing was required, it fed straight through the existing air box hole. :)

Ive decided to phone these guys tomorrow to see if they can rush me in.

About Us

hux309 02 March 2008 06:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok a little update, i'll take a piccy of the front end when it's all finished. :)

Oh the drivers side fog bracket needs quite a bit of grinding, should finish it off once the weather clears up, but all in all it looks quite tidy.

Im just hoping the side of the bumper bolts back fine hence the extra grinding needed.

Attachment 49519

Attachment 49520

hux309 05 March 2008 03:40 PM

All done, forgive the mp filter the apexi is on back order. :p

Oh the passenger fog needed say 15mm of spacers as the piping wasn't having any of it.

Bring on the simtek tomorrow, i can't wait!!! :norty:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...309/scooby.jpg

olliecampbell 12 March 2008 10:04 PM

Just out of interest, what insulating tape did you use on the FMIC pipes?

hux309 13 March 2008 05:43 PM

Dei heat barrier tape. :)

A 30ft run was enough to cover most of the piping in the engine bay.

olliecampbell 14 March 2008 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by hux309 (Post 7729053)
Dei heat barrier tape. :)

A 30ft run was enough to cover most of the piping in the engine bay.

Thanks, handy to know the length as well :)

keirnna 08 April 2008 03:57 AM

What an awesome thread. Be careful when buying these kits as the Chinese quality control is a bit spotty at the least. Look at the BOV flange on the other pipe. It is rotated 90* from where it should be.
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/6797/p4082231rr7.jpg

xX Domino Xx 17 May 2008 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by hux309 (Post 7700032)
One very big downside is that they didn't think of putting on an outlet for the dv now im scratching my head as to what to do. :wonder:

does anyone know how to get around this as i am trying to fit mine but there is nowhere to plumb in my Blitz BOV :confused:

Jay m A 19 May 2008 09:13 AM

You can get a Samco T piece from Merlin motorsprt, then cut a section out of the pipe and fit it. Not sure of the pipe dimensions but something like this:

SAMCO - 70MM SILICONE T-PIECE 25MM SPT - STP70

keirnna 19 May 2008 01:06 PM

It is a lot cheaper from someplace like siliconintakes.com.

Turbo_Tkk 06 July 2008 02:05 PM

hey anychance of getin ur numba mate just a bit stuck on the intercooler fitting bit.:wonder: :confused:
cheers
keep it up

fendel 20 July 2008 08:43 PM

Just a quick tip you might add KIPS:
If you don't have A/C you can move the fan to the other side which will greatly improve the space for the pipe coming back up :)

KIPS 18 January 2009 10:02 PM

been a while

2 Attachment(s)
hi all thanks for all the comments on write up hope its been handy for a few of you

I need a mod to get in contact with me as im running out of picture hosting space dont want to delete them so everyone only sees the poxy red x in a box if someone would like to copy and host to keep it live let me know

good luck to all in 2009 ill pop in now and again but ive moved on to these now
And Then Their Was 3 - NSRA Forum something differn,t :norty:
adrian

HAY ANOTHER YEAR HAS PASSED
thought id pop back on took a bit of finding this thread diddnt know it had been moved thought id add a couple of pics finished and painted still got it kicking about not driven since 2007 keept the miles down

time to sell £2200

last edited by kip 2010 ;)