ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Technical Topics Archive (https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-topics-archive-427/)
-   -   FRONT MOUNT INTERCOOLER PROJECT (https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-topics-archive-427/582670-front-mount-intercooler-project.html)

KIPS 24 February 2007 12:56 PM

MOUNTED O/E RECERC DV TODAY

2 Attachment(s)
Got to much time on my hands at the mo so looked about for somewhere to mount the o/e recerc dv found the best place with loads of room at the back in the middle so knocked up a couple of brackets and managed to get it sitting right the pipe runs shouldn't be to bad only concern is getting a reducer pipe to run to the original dv return input if any one has a part no for hose could they let me know so i can get it ordered up ready
CHEERS KIP
ITCHING TO GET THE FRONT MOUNT NOW LOOKING FORWARD TO FITTING IT AND GETTING THE WRITE UP DONE

Attachment 49618 Attachment 49619

Dill_typeR 24 February 2007 02:43 PM

Good thread and very clear pics, nice if you have the time, space etc, will save you a few quid. I just let the pro's do it:)

KIPS 25 February 2007 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mangel (Post 6691387)
Heat wrap I've always used is the stuff they use for canal boats, you can get it off the shelf from any good chandlers!!

CHEERS ILL GIVE THEM A TRY :thumb:
KIP

KIPS 26 February 2007 01:42 PM

SOME THINGS YOU MAY NEED WHEN GOING FRONT MOUNT

12 Attachment(s)
SOME PICS OF THE O/E DV ADAPTORS TO RUN WITH THE FRONT MOUNT
STI8 AND STI STIV4/5

THINK THESE ARE YEAR RELATED RATHER THAN MODEL RELATED
THIS IS THE LATER TYPE NEWAGE PICTURE 4 IS A CONVERSION SO THE DV CAN BE USED ON THE EARLY MY93 MODELS

Attachment 49620 http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m.../bovnew2-1.jpg http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m.../bovnew1-1.jpg Attachment 49621

THIS IS THE EARLY GC8 STI V4/5

Attachment 49622 Attachment 49623 Attachment 49624

IF YOU WANT DV CONVERSION OR ADAPTORS MADE CONTACT DAONE A MEMBER ON HERE OR PM ME AND ILL GIVE YOU CONTACT DETAILS AND YOU CAN DEAL DIRECT NO NEED FOR GROUP BUY ON THESE MADE TO ORDER SO ORDER EARLY

IF YOU REQUIRE ONE THEY WORK OUT £20 INC POST FOR EITHER TYPE OF DV CONVERTOR
SELLING FOR £25. ON EBAY SO SAVE A FIVER

the quality of the work is excellent when going to a front mount you may require one of these to run your std recerc dump valve

KIP:thumb:

will add to this as I get more info on how to fit
will add pics of early type Sunday
IF YOU NEED ONE FOR THE EARLY PLASTIC DV YOU WILL NEED A REDUCER PIPE FROM SAMCO DEMON TWEEKS HAVE THESE
HAVING SOME ALLOY ADAPTERS MADE FOR THE EARLY PLASTIC TYPE DVS WILL POST PICS WHEN DONE

MIKALOR HOSE CLAMP UPGRADE

ITS WORTH THINKING ABOUT UPGRADING THE SUPPLIED JUBILEE CLIPS TO THE MIKALOR TYPE YOU CAN SEE THE DIFFERANCE AND LESS CHANCE OF BLOWING A PIPE OFF

Mikalor Supra Hoseclips...

Attachment 49625 Attachment 49626

THESE ARE THE SIZES NEEDED FOR THE UPGRADE

1 x 79-73
2 x 55-59
2 x 79-85
7 x 68-73

Attachment 49627 Attachment 49628

APEXI POWER INTAKE

WHEN FITTING THE FRONT MOUNT YOU WILL LOSE YOUR STD AIRBOX DUE TO INTERCOOLER PIPE RUNNIN THROUGH THE WING, SO YOU WILL NEED A CONE FILTER TRY AND AVOID THE OILED ONES AS THIS WILL UPSET YOUR MAF
THE APEXI IS A DRY TYPE AND IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE OF WHATS ABOUT

Attachment 49629 Attachment 49630 Attachment 49631

KIPS 01 March 2007 02:57 PM

THERMO HEAT SHIELD AND HEAT WRAP

4 Attachment(s)
RIGHT WHILE SPENDING MOST THE DAY TRYING TO TRACK DOWN THESE ALLUSIVE INTERCOOLERS I CAME ACROSS THESE

BELOW HEAT SHIELD BLANKET....................................THERMO WRAP
Attachment 49632 Attachment 49633

Attachment 49634 Attachment 49635

THERMO HEAT SHIELD FOR THE TURBO AND SOME HEAT WRAP FOR THE DOWN PIPE AND THE INTERCOOLER PIPE THAT RUNS OVER THE TURBO
IVE READ THAT UNDER BONNET HEAT IS ONE OF THE PROBLEMS WITH THE SCOOB SO MY INTENTION IS TO TRY AND CUT SOME OF THIS DOWN IVE ALREADY MADE A PLATE TO SEPARATE THE INDUCTION KIT BUT SOME REFLECTIVE HEAT SHIELD WILL MAKE THIS EVEN BETTER I CANT WRAP THE EXH MANIFOLD AS ITS STD AT THE MOMENT AND THE EXTRA HEAT WHEN WRAPPED DOES THE WELDS IN
QUESTION
IS THEIR ANYTHING ELSE THAT SHOULD BE SHIELDED FROM THE HEAT THAT ANYONE COULD RECOMMEND WHILE I'M AT IT ??????

WILL BE ORDERING THIS SOON

READY FOR WHEN I DO GET THE FRONT MOUNT LATEST LEAD TIME NOW IS 1 MONTH

ANY TIPS AND IDEAS ARE WELCOME OR JUST A COMMENT ON THE THREAD IF YOU FIND IT GOOD

CHEERS ALL KIP

trails 01 March 2007 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by KIPS (Post 6708832)
RIGHT WHILE SPENDING MOST THE DAY TRYING TO TRACK DOWN THESE ALLUSIVE INTERCOOLERS I CAME ACROSS THESE

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...werx_turbo.jpg http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...erx_exhaus.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...erx_heat_r.jpg http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...werx_refle.jpg

THERMO HEAT SHIELD FOR THE TURBO AND SOME HEAT WRAP FOR THE DOWN PIPE AND THE INTERCOOLER PIPE THAT RUNS OVER THE TURBO
IVE READ THAT UNDER BONNET HEAT IS ONE OF THE PROBLEMS WITH THE SCOOB SO MY INTENTION IS TO TRY AND CUT SOME OF THIS DOWN IVE ALREADY MADE A PLATE TO SEPARATE THE INDUCTION KIT BUT SOME REFLECTIVE HEAT SHIELD WILL MAKE THIS EVEN BETTER I CANT WRAP THE EXH MANIFOLD AS ITS STD AT THE MOMENT AND THE EXTRA HEAT WHEN WRAPPED DOES THE WELDS IN
QUESTION
IS THEIR ANYTHING ELSE THAT SHOULD BE SHIELDED FROM THE HEAT THAT ANYONE COULD RECOMMEND WHILE I'M AT IT ??????

WILL BE ORDERING THIS SOON

READY FOR WHEN I DO GET THE FRONT MOUNT LATEST LEAD TIME NOW IS 1 MONTH

ANY TIPS AND IDEAS ARE WELCOME OR JUST A COMMENT ON THE THREAD IF YOU FIND IT GOOD

CHEERS ALL KIP

i have a question...are you going to be running a GB on the heat wrap too pmsl :D:D:D

sorry mate it had to be said :)

KIPS 01 March 2007 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by trails (Post 6708868)
i have a question...are you going to be running a GB on the heat wrap too pmsl :D:D:D

sorry mate it had to he said :)

YOU LOT ARE GONNA TURN ME GREY :freak3:

BUT IF I DO ILL DO A SEPERATE GROUP BUY GOT TO SPEAK TO JOHN FIRST:thumb:

KIP :D

trails 01 March 2007 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by KIPS (Post 6708880)
YOU LOT ARE GONNA TURN ME GREY :freak3:

BUT IF I DO ILL DO A SEPERATE GROUP BUY GOT TO SPEAK TO JOHN FIRST:thumb:

KIP :D

nice one Kips, let me know if i can help out :)

Puppetmaster 01 March 2007 04:00 PM

Would definately be interested in heat shield GB :)
Just got my HKS FMIC... going to get on the mikalor GB too.

Great write up so far :)
Thanks

worbs 01 March 2007 04:31 PM

I would be interested in the heatshield as well mate if was on a group buy. :luxhello:

KIPS 02 March 2007 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by worbs (Post 6709056)
I would be interested in the heatshield as well mate if was on a group buy. :luxhello:

IT LOOKS LIKE ITS IN THE PIPE LINE FOR A G/B ;)

KIP:thumb:

KIPS 06 March 2007 08:50 AM

FOR THOSE WATCHING THIS PROJECT SORRY FOR DELAY BUT CANT CARRY ON ON UNTILL FRONT MOUNT ARRIVES :(

KIP

Slowboy Racing 06 March 2007 08:56 AM

Its been a whille now ? Still you need to get into the right frame of mind for the bumper cut ;)

Slowboy Racing 06 March 2007 08:57 AM

Kips who supplys the turbo jacket ?

KIPS 06 March 2007 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by *Un-ink* (Post 6721730)
Kips who supply's the turbo jacket ?

JOHN at pipewerx who sorted the mikalor clamps for us he hasn't received stock yet something new his trying going to contact me when in with prices and possibility of a group buy.
They look easier to fit than trying to wrap it
I'm hoping to fit under o/e shield and lag intercooler pipe and a few other things with their products
again though waiting for stock :(

KIP

KIPS 06 March 2007 07:28 PM

LINK FOR HEAT WRAP AND TURBO HEAT SHIELD GROUP BUY

https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...ml

KIP

KIPS 09 March 2007 07:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
HAVE HAD A CONVERSION DONE ON THE WRX/STI NEWAGE DUMP VALVE SO THIS CAN BE USED ON THE EARLY MY 93 THAT RUNS THE PLASTIC D/V SO CAN BE ROUTED TO ORIGINAL POSITION

Attachment 49636 Attachment 49637

HAVE ALSO ADDED SOME PICS TO THE MIKALOR CLAMP UPGRADE SECTION

MORE TO COME SOON

KIP

IF YOU WANT DV CONVERSION DONE CONTACT DAONE ON HERE OR PM ME AND ILL GIVE YOU CONTACT DETAILS

KIPS 10 March 2007 09:17 PM

STAGE 4/5 UPDATE 10/3 04

UPDATED FIRST THREAD WITH STAGE 4 APEXI REMOVAL AND STAGE 5 BUMPER BAR PREP AND REFIT

CHEERS ALL KIP :thumb:

silent running 11 March 2007 11:09 AM

What are you planning to do about the number plate mounting? I'm still mulling over this. From all the picture of FMIC installs I can see, you can't still have the standard mount.

KIPS 11 March 2007 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by silent running (Post 6737247)
What are you planning to do about the number plate mounting? I'm still mulling over this. From all the picture of FMIC installs I can see, you can't still have the standard mount.

Been thinking about this one as far as i know the law says it has to be on the car front facing so I'm gonna see if i can get away with mounting it inside at the top of the screen then a have a sun strip made with a cutout for number plate to show through and probably the Subaru swoop each side on the sun strip
I'm also making a numberplate out of ally and cutting into two strips and putting into a frame the two strips will be able to swivel up with air pressure at certain speed then when you stop it will drop down to show the reg printed on think this may be illegal but Ill give it a go

KIP

silent running 11 March 2007 09:25 PM

LOL that last idea is well illegal, but you've got spirit, I'll give you that. From the looks of it, by the time I've chopped out enough of the bumper to accomodate the FMIC, there'll only be a couple of inches of depth left there. I think I'll try and make up a bracket out of bent aluminium sheet with an L-profile from the side. So it'll bolt up or bond to the underside of the top part of the bumper, and give a forward facing vertical surface to mount the number plate to. I've ordered a 3/4 size plate to try to keep it a bit more out of the way.

Jay m A 12 March 2007 10:46 AM

Who needs fog lights? This is how mine is done - all legal size too

http://server2.uploadit.org/files/jaymawrx-FR1.jpg

Not good for those with driving light conversions though

frayz 12 March 2007 12:53 PM

Great thread KIP.

Nice job and a good clear write up :D

KIPS 12 March 2007 10:10 PM

CHEERS FRAYZ DO I GET A FRAYZ APPROVED TAG :D

KIP

KIPS 13 March 2007 11:52 PM

:luxhello: BREN@APEX HAS SORTED ME A FRONT MOUNT INTERCOOLER SO I CAN FINISH THE FITTING GUIDE BEFORE EVERYONE GETS THEIRS SO EVERYONE WILL HAVE SOMETHING TO FOLLOW AND ANY ISSUES WITH FITTING ON THE EARLY CLASSICS WILL BE SUSSED OUT AND ANSWERS WILL BE THEIR TO RESOLVE WILL START FIT ON SUNDAY AND ADD TO THE FIRST THREAD AS I GO ALONG

CHEERS BREN FOR SORTING THIS FOR US :thumb:

KIP

trails 14 March 2007 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by KIPS (Post 6745237)
:luxhello: BREN@APEX HAS SORTED ME A FRONT MOUNT INTERCOOLER SO I CAN FINISH THE FITTING GUIDE BEFORE EVERYONE GETS THEIRS SO EVERYONE WILL HAVE SOMETHING TO FOLLOW AND ANY ISSUES WITH FITTING ON THE EARLY CLASSICS WILL BE SUSSED OUT AND ANSWERS WILL BE THEIR TO RESOLVE WILL START FIT ON SUNDAY AND ADD TO THE FIRST THREAD AS I GO ALONG

CHEERS BREN FOR SORTING THIS FOR US :thumb:

KIP

Glad he's got you one sorted mate...I'll be watching this with interest :)

Gary Track Day RA 16 March 2007 04:27 PM

Just been advised in another thread that I need an FMIC. FMIC I said, what's one of them, Oh, I said, one of them. And how do I fit that I thought???/

Top Banana, Keep up the good work, and oh, hurry up will yer, :) :) :)

KIPS 16 March 2007 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Track Day RA (Post 6754103)
Just been advised in another thread that I need an FMIC. FMIC I said, what's one of them, Oh, I said, one of them. And how do I fit that I thought???/

Top Banana, Keep up the good work, and oh, hurry up will yer, :) :) :)

:D arrived today so will be updating project this weekend takes time though with having to take photos and jot down details
IF YOU NEED A FRONT MOUNT CHECK OUT THE GROUP BUY IM RUNNING £189.00 deliverd theirs also a clamp upgrade for £29.00 deliverd apexi induction kit from £73.00 deliverd

CHEERS THE COMMENT ON PROJECT HOPE IT HELPS

KIP :thumb:

silent running 17 March 2007 12:00 AM

I might well be tackling mine this weekend Kip, so if I find anything that you've not covered I'll post it up.

KIPS 17 March 2007 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by silent running (Post 6755443)
I might well be tackling mine this weekend Kip, so if I find anything that you've not covered I'll post it up.

NICE ONECHEERS What years your one if its the later one could you take photos then we can cover all years of the classic in the write up
CHEERS KIP