ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Technical Topics Archive (https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-topics-archive-427/)
-   -   FRONT MOUNT INTERCOOLER PROJECT (https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-topics-archive-427/582670-front-mount-intercooler-project.html)

KIPS 12 February 2007 05:43 PM

FRONT MOUNT INTERCOOLER PROJECT

75 Attachment(s)
FRONT MOUNT INTERCOOLER FITTING GUIDE
FROM START TO FINISH

FRONT MOUNT INTER COOLERS FOR THE CLASSIC CAN BE SOURCED HERE

https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...ic-kit-11.html

Attachment 49521 Attachment 49522

CLICK ON PICS FOR LARGER VERSION

HI ALL,
I'm running the group buy for the classic front mount inter cooler supplied by bren@apex, I'm going to be writing the project in stages so will add to this by editing.
My spelling ain't that great so any wannabe school teachers practice else were

Please note this is a My93 WRX and this is a guide of how i did it so not held responsible for any mistakes if you care to use the guide

STAGE 1 LIGHTS AND FRONT BUMPER REMOVAL

TOOLS NEEDED FOR BUMPER/LIGHTS REMOVAL
1, 10MM SPANNER/SOCKET
2, 17MM SPANNER/SOCKET
3, PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER
4, FLATHEAD SCREWDRIVER
5, CONTAINER FOR BOLTS AND SUNDRIES
6, TORX SOCKET FOR No PLATE
NOTE THIS IS A SECURITY TORX HAS HOLE IN IT (I DRILLED MINE OUT AS NOT USING No PLATE FIXING)
1 TEA LADY FOR CONSTANT CUPPAS :thumb:

FIRST OF ALL I REMOVED THE FRONT GRILL 2 CLIPS IN THE TOP I USED A SMALL SCREWDRIVER TO PUSH DOWN THE CENTERS AND GENTLY PULLED.
THEIR ARE 2 LOCATING LUGS WHICH JUST PUSH INTO RUBBER GROMMETS EITHER SIDE OF THE BONNET CATCH ONCE ALL RELEASED GENTLY PULL UP
AND PUT TO THE SIDE

UNDO THE PHILIPS SCREW ON TOP OF THE HEADLIGHT THIS HOLDS THE SIDELIGHT AND GENTLY EASE OUT AND UNDO THE CLIP ON THE WIRE OR TAKE THE BULB HOLDER OUT.

YOU CAN NOW SEE THE HEADLAMP BOLTS THESE ARE 10MM THEIR ARE 2 TO THE CENTER AND 2 TO THE SIDE REMOVE HEADLAMP BULB CONNECTOR THEN UNDO THE 4 BOLTS AND EASE OUT AND PLACE TO ONE SIDE
REPEAT FOR OPPOSITE SIDE

FOG LIGHTS ARE HELD IN BY 3 10mm BOLTS THIS WILL ALSO RELEASE THE INDICATOR REPEAT FOR OPPOSITE SIDE PLACE TO ONE SIDE SAFELY

UNDER ARCHES THEIR ARE THE BRAKE COOLING DUCTS THESE ARE HELD IN BUY 1 x 10mm AND 3 PLASTIC CLIPS PUSH THE CENTER OF THE CLIP IN NOT TO FAR OR THEY WILL FALL OUT IF THEY DO JUST PUSH BACK IN THE FRONT
ONCE THESE ARE OUT THE WAY YOU WILL SEE THE 2 X 10mm BOLTS THAT HOLD THE BUMPER AT THE SIDE

NOW LOOK ALONG THE TOP OFF THE BUMPER YOU WILL SEE ? x 17mm BOLT WITH A PHILLIPS CENTER UNDO THESE, UNDERNEATH THE BUMPER THEIR ARE 3 X 10mm BOLTS REMOVE THESE, WERE THE FOG LIGHT HOLES ARE IF YOU FEEL INSIDE TO THE TOP THEIR IS A 10mm BOLT HIDDEN UP THEIR UNDO THESE
THE NEXT BIT I DRILLED OUT THE SECURITY TORX BOLTS AS I DIDN'T HAVE A TORX WITH A HOLE IN THE END THINK THE TORX IS A 32?
THE BUMPER SHOULD NOW PULL FORWARD LEAVING THE BUMPER BAR BEHIND

TO TAKE THE BUMPER BAR OFF IF YOU LOOK IN LINE OF THE CHASSIS RAIL THEIR ARE 2 X 17mm BOLTS EACH SIDE UNDO THESE AND SLIDE THE BUMPER BAR OUT

YOU SHOULD NOW BE LEFT WITH SOMETHING THAT LOOKS LIKE THIS READY FOR THE NEXT STAGE

]

STAGE 2 O/S/F WING REMOVAL

THIS ISN'T NECESSARY BUT MAKES CUTTING THE HOLE IN THE INNER WING EASY

TOOLS NEEDED

1,10mm SPANNER/SOCKET
2,PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER
3,DOOR TRIM STUD REMOVAL TOOL
4,STANLEY BLADE
5, JACK

FIRST OF ALL I JACKED THE CAR UP TO REMOVE ARCH GUARD THIS HAS
2 x 10mm AND FOUR /FIVE PLASTIC CLIPS EASY TO SPOT
ONCE REMOVED I THEN STARTED TO TAKE OFF FRONT SPLASH GUARD AND SIDE SILL AGAIN ALL 10mm BOLTS THE SPLASH GUARD AT THE TOP IS HELD ON WITH DOUBLE SIDED TAPE GENTLY PULL AWAY FROM BODY AND CUT WITH A BLADE CAREFUL NOT TO CUT INTO PANEL THE SPLASH GUARD IS ALSO HELD TO THE SIDE SILL WITH DOUBLE SIDED TAPE BUT YOU CAN LEAVE THIS AS IT WILL COME OFF AS ONE WITH THE SILL
THE SIDE SILL HAS FOUR HIDDEN PUSH CLIPS THESE BRAKE EASY SO USED A TRIM REMOVAL TOOL THEY POP OUT WARDS

ONCE THIS WAS OFF YOU CAN NOW SEE ALL THE BOLTS THAT HOLD THE WING ON THESE ARE ALL 10mm ALONG THE TOP OFF THE WING INSIDE THE DOOR SHUT AND AT THE SIDE OF WERE THE HEADLAMP WAS AND ONE AT THE BOTTOM I ALSO UNDONE THE AIR RESONATOR BOX AS THIS COMES OFF AS WELL AGAIN 10mm ONCE ALL BOLTS REMOVED THE WING JUST LIFTS OFF

ONCE WING IS REMOVED YOU SHOULD END UP WITH THIS HAD A BIT OF A WASH DOWN WHILE I HAD THE CHANCE WAS QUITE PLEASED HOW CLEAN IT WAS UNDER THEIR :D

]

STAGE 3 INTER COOLER REMOVAL

TOOLS NEEDED

1, 12mm SPANNER/SOCKET
2, FLAT HEAD SCREWDRIVER

THIS WONT TAKE LONG UNDO ALL 3 12mm BOLTS AS IN PIC THEN UNDO THE JUBILEE CLIPS ON THROTTLE BODY, TURBO AND DUMP VALVE THEN JUST EASE PIPES OFF AND LIFT INTER COOLER OUT
JOB DONE :thumb:

WHILE I HAD THE SPANNERS OUT I ALSO TOOK ALL THE BRACKETS OFF AS WELL ALL WERE HELD WITH 12mm BOLTS 2 FOR EACH BRACKET

STAGE 4 APEXI AIR FILTER REMOVAL

TOOLS NEEDED

1, 10mm SPANNER/SOCKET
2, FLAT HEAD SCREWDRIVER
3,PLIERS FOR HOSE CLIPS

WILL TRY AND ADD A STD AIR FILTER SYSTEM ASWELL

FIRST UN CLIP THE MAF SENSOR CONNECTION THEN UNDO THE FOUR 10mm BOLTS HOLDING THE APEXI CONE TAKE OFF CONE THEN DISCONNECT ALL HOSES FROM UNIT AND UNDO THE JUBILEE CLIPS AS SHOWN IN PICTURE THEN REMOVE AND PLACE ALL TO ONE SIDE

STAGE 5 DOWN PIPE AND TURBO WRAP

TOOLS NEEDED

1, 12mm SPANNER/SOCKET
2, SNIPS
3, SCISSORS
4, PLIERS
5, JACK
6, 2" X 25' EXHAUST WRAP
7, STEALTH TURBO JACKET
8, 12 X STAINLESS STEEL TIES

FIRST OF ALL I REMOVED THE METAL HEAT SHEILD THEN TOOK OFF THE ACTUATOR 2X 12mm BOLTS AND SPRING CLIP HOLDING THE ARM
TO MAKE THINGS EASIER

I WRAPPED THE DOWN PIPE FIRST THIS WAS LIKE WRESTLING A SNAKE JACK THE CAR UP SO YOU CAN WORK FROM UNDERNEATH AS WELL THIS WILL MAKE IT EASIER

USE THE STAINLESS STEEL TIES APPROX 8" APART TO HOLD WRAP FIRM

NEXT I FITTED THE STEALTH TURBO JACKET I THREADED THE SUPPLIED STAINLESS TIES IN A STITCH FASHION THEN CUT A HOLE FOR THE WASTE GATE ARM TO COME THROUGH WRAPPED THE JACKET AROUND THE TURBO AND PULLED THE TIES TO SECURE THIS TAKES A BIT OF TIME AND PATIENCE TO DO.I THEN REFITTED THE METAL HEAT SHEILD ON TOP FOR EXTRA HEAT PROTECTION

STAGE 6 PREPARE AND REFIT AND MARK BUMPER BAR FOR DRILLING

TOOLS NEEDED

1, 17mm SPANNER/SOCKET
2, DRILL
3,4mm AND8mm DRILL BITS
4, CENTER PUNCH
4,TAPE MEASURE
5, MARKER PEN

FIRST DRILL OUT THE FOUR SPOT WELDS HOLDING THE No PLATE BRACKET AND REMOVE FROM BUMPER BAR,

THEN BOLT THE BUMPER BAR BACK ON USING THE FOUR 17mm BOLTS TRY AND GET BACK IN SAME PLACE AS WHEN TAKEN OFF.
FIND YOUR CENTERER POINT OF THE BUMPER BAR ON MINE THEIR WAS A CAPTIVE BOLT HOLE THAT HOLDS THE BUMPER TO THE BUMPER BAR. MEASURE OUT 250mm FROM THIS POINT BOTH WAYS AND MARK WITH A LINE THEN MEASURE IN 25mm FROM THE EDGE AND THIS WILL GIVE YOU YOUR CENTERER POINT FOR DRILLING MARK CENTER WITH A PUNCH THEN DRILL A PILOT HOLE 4mm THEN GO THROUGH WITH YOUR 8mm DRILL THESE ARE THE HOLES THAT WILL BOLT YOUR INTERCOOLER TO THE BUMPER BAR SEE PIC FOR MARKING DIAGRAM

REMOVE CENTRE BRACKET AT BOTTOM 10mm SOCKET/SPANNER/PHILLIPS

AUTOBAHN 88 FRONT MOUNT INTERCOOLER SUPPLIED BY BREN AT APEX PERFORMANCE PARTS

STAGE 7 RECERC DV FITTING

TOOLS NEEDED

1, 12mm SPANNER/SOCKET
2, L BRACKETS FROM B/Q
3,STI/WRX NEW AGE DV CONVERTED BY DA ONE
4,RECERC DV ADAPTER SUPPLIED BY DA ONE

I SENT MY STI 8 RECERC DV OFF TO DA ONE TO GET IT CONVERTED SO I COULD RUN THE PIPE TO THE ORIGINAL FITTING AND ALSO HAD A ADAPTER MADE TO THE SAME SIZE AS THE FRONT MOUNT DV OUTLET SO I COULD RUN ONE SINGLE SIZE PIPES TO CONNECT
FIND A PLACE TO MOUNT THE DV SECURELY I FOUND THE BEST PLACE WAS AT THE BACK IN THE MIDDLE BOLT THE RECERC TO THE DV ADAPTER WITH A NEW GASKET THEN GET THE L BRACKETS AND BEND INTO SHAPE SO THEY LINE UP WITH THE CAPTIVE NUTS ALREADY THEIR THE BEND TO SHAPE TO FIT TO THE 2 BOLTS HOLDING THE ADAPTER TO THE DV TIGHTEN DOWN AND ADJUST SO IT SITS CENTRAL

STAGE 8 FRONT MOUNT INTERCOOLER AND PIPE WORK FITTING

TOOLS NEEDED

1,13mm SPANNER/SOCKET
2,10mm SPANNER/SOCKET
3,HACKSAW
4,FILE
5,TIN SNIPS
6,PLIERS
7,DRILL/DRILL BIT
8,MARKER PEN
9,RULER

FIRST OF ALL TAKE THE RIGHT HAND SIDE PIPE AND OFFER UP AGAINST THE TURBO AND CHECK FOR CLEARANCE YOU WILL FIND IT WILL RUN CLOSE TO THE METAL BRAKE PIPES BY THE MASTER CYLINDER, WHEN YOU LOOK AT THE TURBO END YOU WILL SEE A GAP AND THE PIPE RUNS VERY TIGHT AGAINST THE THROTTLE BODY SO I CUT THE PIPE AND FILED IT SO IT SAT FLUSH AGAINST THE TURBO THIS ALSO GAVE A BIT OF CLEARANCE BY THE THROTTLE BODY AND THE METAL BRAKE PIPES.
MAKE SURE YOU CLEAN ALL FILINGS OUT OF PIPE BEFORE OFFERING IT UP AGAIN

NEXT BOLT THE FRONT MOUNT TO THE BUMPER BAR THROUGH THE TWO HOLES PREVIOUSLY DRILLED MAKE NOTE WHICH WAY ROUND YOU FIT THE INTERCOOLER SO IF YOU TAKE OFF IT WILL GO BACK THE SAME WAY ROUND

NOW IF YOU OFFER UP THE SECOND RIGHT HAND PIPE YOU CAN ROUGHLY SEE WHAT NEEDS TO BE REMOVED TO STOP THE PIPE FROM FOULING THE BODY,CUT TO FIRST LINE THEN BEND BACK TO SECOND LINE TO GIVE THE PANEL SOME STRENGTH BACK AT THE BOTTOM TRIM TO BLACK LINE THE BEND DOWN

YOU THEN HAVE TO MARK THE INNER WING FOR CUTTING THE HOLE TO LET THE PIPE THROUGH IF YOU FOLLOW THE HOLES ON THE PICTURE YOU WILL GET AN IDEA OF WHERE NEEDS TO BE CUT, I DRILLED A HOLE THEN SLOWLY CUT AWAY THE PANEL WITH A JIGSAW AND TINSNIPS THEN FILED INCREASING IN SIZE TILL I GOT IT RIGHT JUST ENOUGH TO PUT HE PIPE THROUGH WITH SOME PROTECTIVE EDGING TO STOP ANY WEAR ON THE PIPE SHOULD IT TOUCH THROUGH ENGINE MOVMENT

GIVE THE BARE EDGES LEFT FROM CUTTING SOME METAL PRIMER TO STOP ANY RUST FORMING, THEN COVER THE EDGE WITH SOME FORM OF PROTECTIVE EDGING SEE PICS BELOW

OFFER THE PIPE THROUGH THE HOLE AND ADJUST TO GET THE BEST FIT YOU WANT TO HAVE A GAP ARROUND THE PIPE AND ALSO WERE IT RUNS DOWN TO THE INTERCOOLER, YOU CAN ALSO PULL AWAY SLIGHTLY FROM THE BRAKE PIPES THEN BOLT UP WITH THE CLAMPS TO HOLD IN PLACE

NOW TAKE THE LEFT HAND TOP PIPE AND LAY OVER ENGINE SO YOU CAN SEE ROUGHLY WERE IT GOES THEN THREAD UNDER PIPES AND AROUND OIL FILLER WHEN I DONE THIS IT WAS JUST TO TIGHT TO THE OIL FILLER AND WAS OUT OF LINE TO BE ABLE TO JOIN THE SECOND PIPE SO I CUT THE PIPE UP FROM THE BEND ON THE PIC AND REPLACED WITH A PIECE OF SILICON HOSE WHICH ALLOWED ME TO SWIVEL THE END ROUND AND GET A LITTLE MORE LENGTH TO CLEAR THE CAM COVER AS YOU SWIVEL THE PIPE IT ALSO TAKES IT AWAY FROM THE OIL FILLER TO LEAVE MORE CLEARANCE

OFFER UP SECOND LEFT PIPE AND YOU WILL SEE THAT SOME MORE TRIMMING IS NEEDED AGAIN CUT TO FIRST LINE THEN BEND BACK TO SECOND LINE YOU MAY HAVE TO ALSO NEED TRIM AND BEND BACK A SMALL SECTION INSIDE THE WING JUST ABOVE THE TOW HITCH

YOU HAVE NOW INSTALED THE MAIN PART OF THE FRONT MOUNT INTERCOOLER JUST THE DV TO PLUMB IN DEPENDING ON THE TYPE YOU ARE USING YOU SHOULD HAVE SOMETHING THAT LOOKS LIKE THIS

FITTED THE APEX INDUCTION KIT AND A SHIELD TO TRY AND KEEP THE AREA COOL WILL BE ADDING SOME THERMAL HEAT SHEILD TO THIS ASWELL

Attachment 49584

STAGE 9 FRONT BUMPER TRIMMING

TOOLS NEEDED

1,DREMMEL WITH CUTTING BLADE
2,STANLEY KNIFE
3,MARKER PEN
4,RULER

FIRST OF ALL I MARKED 10mm MARKS FROM THE FRONT OF THE BLACK GRILL PART ALL THE WAY ACROSS FROM BACK TO FRONT, THEN MARKED 10cm MARKS FROM SIDE TO SIDE THEN CAREFULLY CUT OUT THE BLACK GRILL SECTION AS I INTEND TO TRY TO REFIT THIS FURTHER FORWARD YOU SHOULD BE LEFT WITH THIS

FROM THE CORNERS I MEASURED 40mm THEN DREW A STRAIGHT LINE ACROSS AND CUT OUT, THIS LEFT I SMALL GAP AT THE FRONT OF THE INTERCOOLER WHICH LOOKED OK

Attachment 49585

Attachment 49586

THEN TURN THE BUMPER UPSIDE DOWN AND MARK UP AS THE PICTURE

Attachment 49587

THESE MARKS WILL BE YOUR REFERENCE POINTS FOR TRIMMING I CAN ONLY GIVE YOU MY MEASUREMENTS BUT YOU MAY HAVE TO ADJUST ACCORDING TO YOUR CAR

WHEN CUTTING YOUR BUMPER CUT SLIGHTLY LESS AS YOU CAN ALWAYS TRIM MORE BUT YOU CANT PUT BACK IF YOU GO TO FAR THESE MEASUREMENTS WERE HOW MY CAR WORKED OUT AND IS ONLY A GUIDE

MANAGED TO TRIM DOWN THE ORIGINAL GRILL AND REFIT BACK INTO THE BUMPER TO KEEP THE ORIGINAL LOOK I TRIMMED THE FRONT BACK TO THE CROSS BARS AND ON THE REAR CUT ABOUT 8mm FROM OUTER EDGE AT A ANGLE TO THE DOWN BARS THEN PLASTIC WELDED BACK IN IT COMES UP SLIGHTLY SHORT SO CUT THE LOWER BAR AT THE SIDES AND DROPPRD IT DOWN JUST NEEDS A BIT OF FINISHING BUT HAPPY WITH THE WAY IT LOOKS

Attachment 49589 Attachment 49590Attachment 49591

STAGE 10 FRONT FOG LIGHT FITTING

TOOLS NEEDED

1,10mm SOCKET
2, PHILIP'S SCREWDRIVER
3, GRINDER/ HACKSAW
4,METAL FILE

TO REFIT THE FRONT FOG LIGHTS YOU MAY HAVE TO TRIM SOME OFF THE BOTTOM OF THE METAL BACK BRACKETS DON,T WORRY ABOUT TAKING THE LUGS OFF AS THE BOLTS THAT HOLD THE FOG LIGHTS WILL HOLD THE BACK PLATES IN PLACE

ONCE TRIMMED PLACE INTO BACK OF BUMPER AND BOLT THE FOG LIGHTS BACK IN USING THE THREE 10mm BOLTS NOT FORGETTING THAT THE TOP OUTER BOLT ALSO HOLDS THE INDICATOR LENS IN

ONCE FOGS ARE FITTED AND THE BUMPER ALL SECURED YOU CAN THEN REFIT THE HEADLIGHTS AND THE SIDE LIGHTS

NOW YOU HAVE COMPLETED FITTING THE FRONT MOUNT TO GET THE BEST OUT OF THE UPGRADE ITS RECOMMENDED TO HAVE THE CAR MAPPED TO SUIT

KIP

THANK YOU TO

BREN@APEX FOR THE FRONT MOUNT AND SILICONE HOSE

JOHN AT PIPEWERX FOR THE MIKALOR CLAMPS AND HEATSHIELD/WRAP

IAN (DAONE SNET MEMBER) AND DAD FOR DV ADAPTERS

IF YOU HAVE FOUND THIS THREAD USEFUL PLEASE COMMENT OR RATE IT

KIPS 13 February 2007 08:41 AM

ALL TIPS COMMENTS AND ADVICE WELCOME

16 Attachment(s)
EXTRA ITEMS YOU MAY NEED TO SOURCE TO AID FITTING

SOME PICS OF THE O/E DV ADAPTORS TO RUN WITH THE FRONT MOUNT
STI8 AND STI STIV4/5

THINK THESE ARE YEAR RELATED RATHER THAN MODEL RELATED
THIS IS THE LATER TYPE NEWAGE PICTURE 4 IS A CONVERSION SO THE DV CAN BE USED ON THE EARLY MY93 MODELS

Attachment 49596 http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m.../bovnew2-1.jpg http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m.../bovnew1-1.jpg Attachment 49597

THIS IS THE EARLY GC8 STI V4/5

Attachment 49598 Attachment 49599 Attachment 49600

IF YOU WANT DV CONVERSION OR ADAPTORS MADE CONTACT DAONE A MEMBER ON HERE OR PM ME AND ILL GIVE YOU CONTACT DETAILS AND YOU CAN DEAL DIRECT NO NEED FOR GROUP BUY ON THESE MADE TO ORDER SO ORDER EARLY

IF YOU REQUIRE ONE THEY WORK OUT £20 INC POST FOR EITHER TYPE OF DV CONVERTOR
SELLING FOR £25. ON EBAY SO SAVE A FIVER

the quality of the work is excellent when going to a front mount you may require one of these to run your std recerc dump valve

KIP:thumb:

will add to this as I get more info on how to fit
will add pics of early type Sunday
IF YOU NEED ONE FOR THE EARLY PLASTIC DV YOU WILL NEED A REDUCER PIPE FROM SAMCO DEMON TWEEKS HAVE THESE
HAVING SOME ALLOY ADAPTERS MADE FOR THE EARLY PLASTIC TYPE DVS WILL POST PICS WHEN DONE

MIKALOR HOSE CLAMP UPGRADE

ITS WORTH THINKING ABOUT UPGRADING THE SUPPLIED JUBILEE CLIPS TO THE MIKALOR TYPE YOU CAN SEE THE DIFFERANCE AND LESS CHANCE OF BLOWING A PIPE OFF

Mikalor Supra Hoseclips...

Attachment 49601 Attachment 49602

THESE ARE THE SIZES NEEDED FOR THE UPGRADE

1 x 79-73
2 x 55-59
2 x 79-85
7 x 68-73

Attachment 49603 Attachment 49604

APEXI POWER INTAKE

WHEN FITTING THE FRONT MOUNT YOU WILL LOSE YOUR STD AIRBOX DUE TO INTERCOOLER PIPE RUNNIN THROUGH THE WING, SO YOU WILL NEED A CONE FILTER TRY AND AVOID THE OILED ONES AS THIS WILL UPSET YOUR MAF
THE APEXI IS A DRY TYPE AND IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE OF WHATS ABOUT

Attachment 49605 Attachment 49606 Attachment 49607

BELOW HEAT SHIELD BLANKET....................................THERMO WRAP
Attachment 49608 Attachment 49609

Attachment 49610 Attachment 49611

THERMO HEAT SHIELD FOR THE TURBO AND SOME HEAT WRAP FOR THE DOWN PIPE AND THE INTERCOOLER PIPE THAT RUNS OVER THE TURBO
IVE READ THAT UNDER BONNET HEAT IS ONE OF THE PROBLEMS WITH THE SCOOB SO MY INTENTION IS TO TRY AND CUT SOME OF THIS DOWN IVE ALREADY MADE A PLATE TO SEPARATE THE INDUCTION KIT BUT SOME REFLECTIVE HEAT SHIELD WILL MAKE THIS EVEN BETTER I CANT WRAP THE EXH MANIFOLD AS ITS STD AT THE MOMENT AND THE EXTRA HEAT WHEN WRAPPED DOES THE WELDS IN

silent running 13 February 2007 09:52 AM

Good stuff so far, keep it coming!

KIPS 13 February 2007 12:35 PM

STAGE 3 UPDATE WING REMOVAL

STAGE 2 UPDATE WING REMOVAL
HAVE ADDED THIS TO FIRST THREAD SO ITS ALL TOGETHER
THIS IS FAIRLY EASY WITH MINIMUM TOOLS NEEDED THIS TOOK ABOUT AN HOUR WITH PHOTOS

SO GO ON HAVE A GO AND GET YOUR HANDS DIRTY :thumb:

KIP

Puppetmaster 13 February 2007 12:50 PM

Bloody marvelous mate :)
Just what I was looking for !

Just about to facelift my car and also looking for a FMIC :)

KIPS 13 February 2007 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster (Post 6653578)
Bloody marvelous mate :)
Just what I was looking for !

Just about to facelift my car and also looking for a FMIC :)

IM RUNNING THE GROUP BUY FOR FRONT MOUNTS HAVE A LOOK HERE

https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...ic-kit-11.html

PLENTY OF INFO IVE SOURCED INCLUDING OE DV FITTING MOST QUESTIONS ANSWERD FOR YOU

WELCOME ONBOARD :thumb:

KIP

911 13 February 2007 06:06 PM

Lots of pics, key to a good Project Thread
Excellent!

Graham
:D

Slowboy Racing 13 February 2007 06:52 PM

Looking good, not sure you needed to take of the wing and the bumper suport bar. Take your time when cutting the bumper ;)

gatecrasher3 13 February 2007 06:56 PM

You may find you can get away without taking the wing off. I managed when I did mine.

Fantastic guide though. I wish it was available when I was fitting my FMIC :thumb:

KIPS 13 February 2007 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by *Un-ink* (Post 6654875)
Looking good, not sure you needed to take of the wing and the bumper suport bar. Take your time when cutting the bumper ;)

If a jobs worth doing its worth doing right :D I realise that the wing diddnt need to come off but this will make it easier cutting the hole neater (i hope)
Yer not looking forward to cutting the bumper but got me dremmel ready with new cutting blades
Im gonna try and squeez the original grill back in if possible

cheers KIP

KIPS 13 February 2007 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by 911 (Post 6654726)
Lots of pics, key to a good Project Thread
Excellent!

Graham
:D

Thanks for the comment graham takes more time with the photos and write up than doing the job

I need a bit of advice Im going to wrap the pipe that goes over the turbo whats the best to use and were can i source it, seen a few on ebay but not sure???

KIP

KIPS 13 February 2007 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by gatecrasher3 (Post 6654891)
You may find you can get away without taking the wing off. I managed when I did mine.

Fantastic guide though. I wish it was available when I was fitting my FMIC :thumb:

I searchd for a good guide found one on the p1 site (p1mark)
would be nice to have a section on here with stickies of common mods to save trawling the searches

thankyou for your comment

KIP

Dan 2 13 February 2007 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by KIPS (Post 6654924)
would be nice to have a section on here with stickies of common mods to save trawling the searches

KIP

GREAT idea... lets hope something can be done about it ;)

mickywrx 13 February 2007 08:35 PM

Good thread mate. When you get your FMIC you'll most likely need to purchase a silicon pipe to join the turbo to the hard pipe. 51mm diameter is the size I needed.

Micky

KIPS 13 February 2007 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by mickywrx (Post 6655272)
Good thread mate. When you get your FMIC you'll most likely need to purchase a silicon pipe to join the turbo to the hard pipe. 51mm diameter is the size I needed.

Micky

HELLO MICKY

Ill add that to my shoping list cheers for info and comment :thumb:

kip

mickywrx 14 February 2007 07:49 PM

Only too happy to help :thumb:

If you've any questions feel free to ask. PM me or since I've moved out of the dark ages, I now have msn :lol1:

Micky.

KIPS 15 February 2007 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dan 2 (Post 6654962)
GREAT idea... lets hope something can be done about it ;)

Taken the idea of a modding libary further so if you want to show support for this have a look here

https://www.scoobynet.com/bugs-featu...ng-guides.html

KIP

J_sca001 15 February 2007 09:20 AM

HKS intercooler for sale. She's sooo lovely!!:D

However, i have bought a new age STI and dont want the hassle of a FMIC and lose my ic water spray so just adding a few mods to it to hopefully reach the 300bhp mark.

Anyhow, the piping is off the car but need to wait until my days off to remove the front bumper and bits to remove the intercooler.

I have all the original HKS hoses and new all round jubilee clips to hold them in place along with the instructions.

The intercooler fits my 94 Import WRX a treat, i'm told that it will fit all classics and probably my bugeye.

Roll up Roll up, what will you give for her before she goes on fleabay??:D

trails 16 February 2007 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by J_sca001 (Post 6660195)

However, i have bought a new age STI and dont want the hassle of a FMIC and lose my ic water spray so just adding a few mods to it to hopefully reach the 300bhp mark.

Anyhow, the piping is off the car but need to wait until my days off to remove the front bumper and bits to remove the intercooler.

I have all the original HKS hoses and new all round jubilee clips to hold them in place along with the instructions.

The intercooler fits my 94 Import WRX a treat, i'm told that it will fit all classics and probably my bugeye.

Roll up Roll up, what will you give for her before she goes on fleabay??:D

your inbox is full :D

KIPS 18 February 2007 11:57 PM

Had a little tidy up on thread today with spell checker still waiting on inter cooler shouldn't be long now, been working out how to go about cutting bumper so every one has rough measurements to follow:thumb:
KIP

KIPS 19 February 2007 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by J_sca001 (Post 6660195)

Not got a problem with you selling on this thread but when sold if you could delete post so to keep this as a fitting guide for me
cheers buddie

T5OLF 19 February 2007 12:13 AM

Good thread this mate, wish it had been around when I did mine. Hope you don't mind but I have added a link. You may have probs with your DV as I did, I tried a few things till I got it right. The link covers the problem and how I fixed it.

LADS :: View topic - DV problem

KIPS 19 February 2007 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by T5OLF (Post 6671899)
Good thread this mate, wish it had been around when I did mine. Hope you don't mind but I have added a link. You may have probs with your DV as I did, I tried a few things till I got it right. The link covers the problem and how I fixed it.

LADS :: View topic - DV problem

NO PROBS The more help the better as i want to end up with a full thread from start to finish hopefully the mods will give it a stickie

cheers KIP:thumb:
just sat and read it perfect ill add this to my front mount inter cooler group buy

KIPS 20 February 2007 02:34 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Had a bit of time today so had a play about with the bumper Ive not added this to above thread ill do that when it comes to cutting the bumper for the front mount :thumb:

Ive had a couple of 3Dr cossie bonnet vents kicking about and come up with the idea of putting some side vents in the front bumper, I had to cut these down and plastic weld them back together (you could say cut and shut)
as these would of been to large have added some pics to see what you think

Attachment 49612 Attachment 49613 Attachment 49614 Attachment 49615

STILL WAITING FOR FRONT MOUNT SHOULDNT BE LONG NOW AND ILL FINISH THE MAIN PROJECT THREAD THANKS TO ALL FOR THE COMMENTS

nas sti 21 February 2007 10:08 PM

looking good :)

KIPS 23 February 2007 02:38 PM

HEAT SHIELDS FITTED TODAY

2 Attachment(s)
Had another free day today so between the rain I went about fitting heat Shields thought this was going to be straight forward but due to after market exhaust with a divorce waste gate pipe there was no way this was going on
so after cutting a bracket down and the heat shield managed to get it fitted hasn't gone on to bad ,have put the bracket to hold the heat shield to the engine so any movement will move the heat shield with it and by not putting it to the body should cut out any re verb through the panels
added some pics of finished job

Attachment 49616 Attachment 49617

Ive also added a shield between the engine and the apexi power intake but this may move to inside the wing yet will decide once front mount is fitted

QUICK QUESTION FOR ANYONE I WANT TO WRAP THE EXHAUST AND THE FRONT MOUNT PIPE THAT RUNS OVER THE TURBO IVE SEEN LOADS OF HEAT WRAP ON EBAY BUT WHAT IS THE BEST ONE TO GET
CHEERS ALL KIP

trails 23 February 2007 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by KIPS (Post 6688894)

looks like somone has been polishing thier heat shield :D

KIPS 23 February 2007 03:01 PM

:D :D :D CAUGHT ME :lol1:
I tried the chimney one but think that might of interfered with the front mount pipe so got hold of a later one used a bit of autosolve on it got to look good for the photos:thumb:

trails 23 February 2007 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by KIPS (Post 6688967)
:D :D :D CAUGHT ME :lol1:
I tried the chimney one but think that might of interfered with the front mount pipe so got hold of a later one used a bit of autosolve on it got to look good for the photos:thumb:

pmsl, tart :D:D:D

Mangel 24 February 2007 09:25 AM

Heat wrap I've always used is the stuff they use for canal boats, you can get it off the shelf from any good chandlers!!