ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Need a clutch. Where in the South East? (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/582265-need-a-clutch-where-in-the-south-east.html)

Gear Head 11 February 2007 11:21 AM

Need a clutch. Where in the South East?

As above, my clutch has started to slip in 5th. :cry:
I know Api David is the one everyone prefers on here, but at 150 miles away, he is a little too far. If I can't find anyone else closer though, David will be getting a phone call! :thumb:

Gear Head 11 February 2007 02:21 PM

Anyone used xtreme scoobies?

Gear Head 11 February 2007 04:25 PM

This one seems a bit cheap for a 'real' exedy. I take it this is just a standard unit and not the 'organic' type?
eBay.co.uk: SUBARU IMPREZA GENUINE NEW EXEDY CLUTCH KIT (item 260082442660 end time 11-Feb-07 12:30:47 GMT)

Gear Head 11 February 2007 06:52 PM

Hmm.... Just been out for a 15mile round trip to make sure its the clutch. :idea:
After the first 10 miles, I starting applying full throttle in 4th at 3000rpm. No slip. :wonder:
A little confused, I continued this technique another 20 or so times in 3rd, 4th and 5th. I also tried 2 'through the gear' runs. Didn't slip once. :wonder: The only thing I did notice however (once only), was that when the turbo was at full boost at 3200-3400rpm in 4th, I felt a very slight dip in power and then it went back to normal. When this happened, the speed at which the revs increased, slowed down momentarilly and then continued to rise at the normal speed. (no sudden cut) :confused:

I think that when I suspected the clutch yesterday, I only felt the momentary drop in power and didn't see what was happening on the rev counter.

The car is a MY UK Turbo running 280bhp/270lb/ft. It has a tek 2 map, full decat, sti 5 intercooler and alloys piping, green panel filter, original clutch and has done 56000miles.

Ever since I fitted the sti intercooler and piping a month ago, max boost
has risen from 15psi to 17psi. So I am wondering if it may be something to do with the wastegate or boost solenoid having work harder/differently?

The car is running spot on other than that.
Just passed its mot aswell. :D

Shark Man 11 February 2007 09:44 PM

A more general repeatable test of a clutch is to get it gently onto full boost in 4th or 5th @3000+rpm so the clutch is biting...

Then quickly dip and release the clutch whilst still on full throttle; Observe how it "bites" on release of the pedal; The revs will rise as it slips and then drop back down to the previous rpm pretty quickly after releasing the pedal (half a secondish).

If it takes longer than that to bite or carries on slipping or the revs rise instead of dropping back down; You clutch is either dead on its feet or can't handle the BHP your running.

Gear Head 11 February 2007 10:59 PM

Now that IS a certain way to kill a clutch! :D

Shark Man 11 February 2007 11:00 PM

If that test killed the clutch, it was dead on it feet anyway. :)

Gear Head 11 February 2007 11:01 PM

Will try that tomorrow. :thumb:

Shark Man 11 February 2007 11:07 PM

...obvioulsy, it won't work when running 400bhp on a standard clutch...Or wet road with a slightly tweeked RWD cossy (oops) :o ;)

Mark A 11 February 2007 11:25 PM

Give GDA sportcars a call, they fitted my AP orginally

cw42 12 February 2007 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100 (Post 6647661)
This one seems a bit cheap for a 'real' exedy. I take it this is just a standard unit and not the 'organic' type?
eBay.co.uk: SUBARU IMPREZA GENUINE NEW EXEDY CLUTCH KIT (item 260082442660 end time 11-Feb-07 12:30:47 GMT)

Did you ever find out if this is a real excedy chris?

New_scooby_04 12 February 2007 10:00 AM

Order the Exedy organic from David at API. Great company, great clutch

Get it fitted at Xtreme Scoobies -also a great bunch! (Closer to you, imp if you're clutch is on the way out!)

Jobs a good un!

Did the same myself!!

Ns04

Gear Head 12 February 2007 10:07 AM

Well, I tried it again this morning and still no slip. :wonder:
I wonder whether my foot was just slightly resting on the clutch pedal the other night? :rolleyes:

hoskib 12 February 2007 09:22 PM

thought this sounded familiar when you got in touch chris and reading how it seems ok now
https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain...ms-ok-wtf.html

was a one off, just like yours. maybe heat issues is the answer??

Gear Head 12 February 2007 11:05 PM

Cheers dude, glad to hear i'm not imagining things! :D
Could certainly be the clutch fluid if it is original (8 year now!).
Going to play it by ear, but like you experienced, I can't replicate the fault. :wonder:
At 56000 miles, I guess the original clutch is on its way out anyway, although I never do any hard lauches. Have put £400 aside just incase. :thumb: