ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   port headers or buy new uprated headers?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/582231-port-headers-or-buy-new-uprated-headers.html)

Jam Performance 11 February 2007 07:44 AM

port headers or buy new uprated headers??

Will be having my 93wrx mapped soon so was wondering if its worth porting the standard headers or buying new uprated headers?im planning to get 350bhp out of the car with a TD05 turbo with full supporting mods,ive been looking at the flat4online headers for £175 as i am using one of ther kakumei stainless upipes which im very happy with, so is the £175 worth it or shall i do a DIY port job on my old headers??cheers

J_sca001 11 February 2007 08:04 AM

Good morning everyone!! :)

I was wondering about that yesterday, also what difference it would make to the BHP/Torque. I've been told it gives you alot more torque but not too many horses??

Any ideas folks???:wonder:

KLR16V 11 February 2007 08:52 AM

DIY port job costs nothing helps spool up , did it on my93wrx quick free mod i used a air powered drill only took about 30mins if you use a normal mains drill it will take longer just match the exhaust inlets to the gasket you will see the soot rings straight away .

Mark

J_sca001 11 February 2007 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by KLR16V (Post 6646670)
DIY port job costs nothing helps spool up , did it on my93wrx quick free mod i used a air powered drill only took about 30mins if you use a normal mains drill it will take longer just match the exhaust inlets to the gasket you will see the soot rings straight away .

Mark

Thanks.
Did it give you much more BHP/Torque??:wonder:

KLR16V 11 February 2007 12:31 PM

Haven't had it on a rolling road seemed to spool up quicker the money you save you could use to buy heat wrap material and lag the exhaust manifold and up pipe this will help as well as the gases flow quicker when hotter .

Mark

rossyboy 11 February 2007 05:12 PM

I'd be worried a set of headers that cheap would be in danger of cracking.

new boy 11 February 2007 07:04 PM

i have ported oe headers on mine..its a uk my96 running 1.5 bar on tdo5

and a good safe map at the clinic by pat

and i get just shy of 340 bhp and 320+lbsft
:)

ads

silent running 11 February 2007 07:57 PM

Quick question for the DIY porters out there: I had a go at mildly porting (well gasket matching really) my inlet manifold and did OK I reckon, but my stone kept getting clogged with aluminium crap even when I was running it in white spirit fairly often. In the end I found a flap wheel took more material out than the stone could. Any tips on getting the stone to work harder and stay cleaner?

ZEN Performance 11 February 2007 08:04 PM

Stones aren't for cutting alumnium, what you experienced was normal. You need a tungsten carbide bit to remove any serious amount of material, even then keeping it lubed with light oil (wd40, paraffin etc) will help, as even those clog. You can get alumnium specific ones with only 6 flutes but they can be a bit evil.

Check on ebay for cheap TCT bits, I got a selection of 6 for sensible money, otherwise expect to pay around £12 for one, they last ages though.

Paul