ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   If you drive a car, please read - (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/581844-if-you-drive-a-car-please-read.html)

wrx-kris 09 February 2007 04:09 PM

If you drive a car, please read -

If you drive a car, please read -
Sarah Kennedy was talking about this proposed car tax scheme on Radio 2. Apparently there is only one month left to register your objection to the 'Pay As You Go' road tax.

The petition is on the 10 Downing St website but they didn't tell anybody about it. Therefore at the time of Sarah's comments only 250,000 people had signed it and 750,000 signatures are required for the goverment to at least take any notice.

Once you've given your details (you don't have to give your full address, just house number and postcode will do), they will send you an email with a link in it. Once you click on that link, you'll have signed the petition.

The government's proposal to introduce road pricing will mean you having to purchase a tracking device for your car and paying a monthly bill to use it. The tracking device will cost about £200 and in a recent study by the BBC, the lowest monthly bill was £28 for a rural florist and £194 for a delivery driver. A non working mother who used the car to take the kids to school paid £86 in one month.

On top of this massive increase in tax, you will be tracked. Somebody will know where you are at all times. They will also know how fast you have been going, so even if you accidentally creep over a speed limit in time you can probably expect a Notice of Intended Prosecution with your monthly bill.

If you are concerned about this Orwellian plan and want to stop the constant bashing of the car driver, please sign the petition on No 10's new website (link below) and pass this on to as many people as possible. Sign up if you value your freedom and democratic rights -

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Scrap the planned vehicle tracking and road pricing policy.

Chris_B_WRX 09 February 2007 04:12 PM

Oh dear !!! I feel a few sarky comments may follow mate.

Must be at least 10 threads on this already ! :p

Rob_Impreza99 09 February 2007 04:17 PM

£86 per month for a mother who just uses the car to take the kids to school beggars belief.

Its getting a joke now what they are taxing us on after the recent airport tax etc, next the goverment will be putting a tracking device in between the cheeks of our backsides and taxing us for how many trips we take to the bog. :D

wrx-kris 09 February 2007 04:20 PM

well, if you like the idea-dont bother signing it!:wonder:

might aswell stick a justy engine in your car!:eek2:

Chris_B_WRX 09 February 2007 04:23 PM

Signed it ages ago ...... smart arse. :hjtwofing

Chris L 09 February 2007 05:05 PM

There are now 968000 + signatures :)

corradoboy 09 February 2007 05:10 PM

Let's hope that they now take notice, although I doubt it. The excessive taxation is secondary in my concerns. As a free citizen I reserve the right, and will defend that right, to roam freely without being spied upon, tracked, monitored, studied and scrutinised by lying, cheating, two-faced, back-stabbing, nest-feathering tw@ts such as the average politician or government tools like policemen.

wrx-kris 09 February 2007 05:18 PM

fan-fecking-tastic :)

nazt 09 February 2007 05:19 PM

wot he said lol - signed

ScoobyDoo555 09 February 2007 05:30 PM

i think it's a fabulous idea - bring it on.

Adrian F 10 February 2007 10:57 AM

Signed. Not that they will take any notice.

They banned Fox Hunting despite 1 million going on the streets, they went to war in Iraq despite the marches so why take notice of this.

The only time they have changed their mind was when they had people riot about the poll tax.

In fact if you riot the Police tend to leave you alone or consult "community elders" before doing anthing as daring as arresting terroist suspects so there lies a clue to how to form government policy?