ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Ebay question again! What do we do? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/581208-ebay-question-again-what-do-we-do.html)

Clarebabes 07 February 2007 01:59 PM

Ebay question again! What do we do?

For the purposes of this thread, I will change some names to protect the innocent. ;)

Basically, a friend of mine bought something very expensive off an Ebay seller which was advertised as having a certain spec and therefore the reason that they were bought. (Approx £600)

When my friend got the item, it looked kosha and positive feedback was left.

Now, on closer inspection, the item is of a much lower spec - not easy to tell at all by just looking at it - and the seller says that he didn't know and was sold these as the higher spec himself. The lower spec would probably fetch about £150 less than the higher spec one and my friend would not have bought them knowing that.

Any ideas? My friend would like to know what comeback they have as positive feedback has already been left and Ebay help is very difficult to navigate.

My friend has contacted the seller already and is in a dialogue with him.

TIA
Clare

34srm 07 February 2007 02:12 PM

think wot your gonna find is that when buying goods from auction, ebay or other if the item is not as described you would not have to proceed with the purchase, but once you have payed for the item thats it, its an auction not a retail outlet

Clarebabes 07 February 2007 02:17 PM

Is is not fraudulant advertising?

DCI Gene Hunt 07 February 2007 02:19 PM

How long ago did 'your friend' purchase the said item in question?

STi wanna Subaru 07 February 2007 02:20 PM

If paid for using Paypal you could try make a claim...

Failing that I think you have to suffer the loss unless the seller offers goodwill.

EddScott 07 February 2007 02:20 PM

If it was purchased through paypal start a dispute under "Item significantly not as described"

Or

If paid for by credit card, you can put a stop on that purchase - how this works I don't know. I've only been down the Paypal route.

simo 07 February 2007 02:22 PM

How did they pay Clare? Paypal or cash? If paypal enter a dispute and see how you go, if cash try the ebay report an item thread but I am not sure how this would work as feedback has been left.

If your friend feels that they have been mislead then the other option is a small claims court maybe?

Clarebabes 07 February 2007 02:23 PM

Nah, they paid cash. :(

Clarebabes 07 February 2007 02:24 PM

Could always threaten court. Trying to sort it out amicably first I guess.

DCI Gene Hunt 07 February 2007 02:25 PM

Are they a business or private seller?

marky1 07 February 2007 02:25 PM

Caveat Emptor, especially using cash. Never buy anything off ebay using cash.

Clarebabes 07 February 2007 02:34 PM

Private seller.

DCI Gene Hunt 07 February 2007 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Clarebabes (Post 6633982)
Private seller.

write this down as a 'don't pay cash or trust some cnut of ebay type lesson' :(

Clarebabes 07 February 2007 02:43 PM

Thanks DCI. I shall tell her that.