ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   "They" save the planet - you pay! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/581188-they-save-the-planet-you-pay.html)

warrenm2 07 February 2007 01:22 PM

"They" save the planet - you pay!

The EU is about to save us from ourselves by making cars up to £3300 more expensive.

EU's green drive could put £3,300 on a car | News | This is London

Well thanks a bunch, can we leave yet? A vote for UKIP is in order here....

alcazar 07 February 2007 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by warrenm2 (Post 6633704)
The EU is about to save us from ourselves by making cars up to £3300 more expensive.

EU's green drive could put £3,300 on a car | News | This is London

Well thanks a bunch, can we leave yet? A vote for UKIP is in order here....

Stop being naieve. It says "could" put that much on cars. If it does, who'll buy them? And if we leave the EC, what makes you think Labour, or whoever takes over from them, won't do EXACTLY the same thing?

Alcazar

Boost II 07 February 2007 02:52 PM

I'm sick of the motorists getting victimised over green issues. Lets slap a tax on tea drinkers instead. Such an unecessary wate of energy boiling the water - just have a cold drink you eco-vandals :mad:

Everyone knows the biggest source of carbon gasses is powerstations - and their biggest power surge comes when people put the kettle on at half time of england games.

I have switched over to just drinking beer, coke, water , orange juice etc and I think it makes perfect sense to put a huge tax on tea which is just a luxury for everybody whereas a car is essential for most people to go about their lives

Also a tax on people that do proper cooking - such a waste of energy. I feel sick when I see Jamie Oliver with all those gas rings burning away and loads of different pots in the oven. Just put it in a microwave and heat the food not the whole bloody house. Why don't the government go after some of these buggers :mad::mad:

Paul3446 07 February 2007 03:54 PM

As I understand it this will only relate to cars made in the EU, so our Subarus won't be affected. :thumb:

Obviously that is just this law, I'm sure more will follow! :mad:

cottonfoo 07 February 2007 04:02 PM

We have it lucky really, the Danes pay 180% on new cars I believe. All this does is keep the older, dirtier cars on the road for longer :)

hutton_d 07 February 2007 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Boost II (Post 6634021)
Everyone knows the biggest source of carbon gasses is powerstations - and their biggest power surge comes when people put the kettle on at half time of england games.

No no no! The biggest source of Co2 is nature! 96 to 97% of all co2 emmissions is entirely natural! So lets see. The UK is 2% of that and 'road vehicles' are, from memory, 25% of that (at most). So 25% of 2% of 3% is 0.00015% of global emmissions of CO2. That's 3/20,000 ths of the worlds Co2 emmissions from UK cars/lorries. BUT the EU directive is just to cut that down by a fraction - the target will be 130g/km - the voluntary target for nect year is 140 anyway so lets say the current level is 175. So the target of 130 is a cut of about 25%. So assuming ALL vehicles suddenly achieve this target the saving will be 0.25% of 0.00015% or 0.0000375% of total emmissions - or less than a knats winkle. But it will only apply to new cars so the UK savings will be not measurable.

Friends of the earth say that 'Transport' (not just road transport) is responsible for 27% of CO2 emmissions in the UK. Assume that's true worldwide then 'transport' is 27% of 3% = 0.0081% of total emmissions worldwide. Less than 1%. *IF* CO2 is to be reduced (and I don't agree with the global warming caused by man hypothesis - but lets assume I do for this) then just make cars more fuel efficient (manufacturers are doing this anyway BUT governments are making them bigger and heavier in the guise of safety thus negating the effects!) and do away with road tax and put a couple of pence on a litre.

Dave

TonyG 07 February 2007 04:15 PM

*cough* carbon cycle. Or do you think that all the CO2 produced by Nature just stays in the atmosphere....?