ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   sky tv adverts LOUD? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/580901-sky-tv-adverts-loud.html)

wrx_yank 06 February 2007 02:55 PM

sky tv adverts LOUD?

is it just me, or when you set the T.V. to a reasonable volume during a program...but when the adverts come on it gets rediculously loud? do they just brodcast them louder or what?

steve

davegtt 06 February 2007 02:56 PM

Noticed this on NTL years ago but its not as bad anymore but still noticable sometimes.

OllyK 06 February 2007 02:56 PM

Yes - and IIRC they were pulled up for it some years back.

Jap2Scrap 06 February 2007 02:58 PM

It's to wake you up between godawful programming. Think of it as a service.

Wurzel 06 February 2007 02:58 PM

it is so you can still hear the adverts whilst you are in the kitchen with the kettle boiling, They don't want you to miss anything :D

The fact that you went to the kitchen to get away from said adverts is neither here nor there :D

Tam the bam 06 February 2007 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by wrx_yank (Post 6630427)
is it just me, or when you set the T.V. to a reasonable volume during a program...but when the adverts come on it gets rediculously loud? do they just brodcast them louder or what?

steve

It's so you can still hear them when in the kitchen making a coffee :)

wrx_yank 06 February 2007 02:59 PM

it mind boggling.... my batteries on the remote are going to die soon from tuurning it up, down, up , down.... anyway.... thanks for your help.:thumb:

Tam the bam 06 February 2007 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Wurzel (Post 6630439)
it is so you can still hear the adverts whilst you are in the kitchen with the kettle boiling, They don't want you to miss anything :D

The fact that you went to the kitchen to get away from said adverts is neither here nor there :D

:lol1:

wrx_yank 06 February 2007 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tam the bam (Post 6630440)
It's so you can still hear them when in the kitchen making a coffee :)

ha, ha, i get it.......but since moving here, i have really taken a liking to tea:lol1:

Paul3446 06 February 2007 03:01 PM

Every flippin' advert break we are scrambling for the remote to lower the volume before our ear drums explode!

ER is particularly bad for this. :mad:

OllyK 06 February 2007 03:03 PM

SKY+ - just fast forward the adverts!! :)

wrx_yank 06 February 2007 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Paul3446 (Post 6630454)
Every flippin' advert break we are scrambling for the remote to lower the volume before our ear drums explode!

ER is particularly bad for this. :mad:

hahaha us too, although ER is bad for alot of things, like the plots....:lol1:

just kidding

davegtt 06 February 2007 03:08 PM

Torrents and no adverts :thumb:

Dracoro 06 February 2007 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by OllyK (Post 6630463)
SKY+ - just fast forward the adverts!! :)

That only works for stuff already recorded. You can't fast forward through adverts that haven't been broadcast yet! :D Or do you have a skybox+ that time travels ;) :D

richardg 06 February 2007 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by wrx_yank (Post 6630441)
it mind boggling.... my batteries on the remote are going to die soon from tuurning it up, down, up , down.... anyway.... thanks for your help.:thumb:

same here. notice it most on a sunday night when mrs g and little miss g have gone to bed and i'm watching tv quietly in the lounge. then the ads come on...AAARRRRRGGHHHHHHHHH!!!![MUTE UNTIL THEY'RE OVER!]

Freak 06 February 2007 04:16 PM

Channel 4/E4 and especially Uk gold are terrible for this!
Really REALLY annoying

fabiavrs 06 February 2007 04:21 PM

Aye it does this on mine too I've now got RSI in my thumb! It is very annoying when you've just dosed off!

jaytc2003 06 February 2007 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by richardg (Post 6630611)
same here. notice it most on a sunday night when mrs g and little miss g have gone to bed and i'm watching tv quietly in the lounge. then the ads come on...AAARRRRRGGHHHHHHHHH!!!![MUTE UNTIL THEY'RE OVER!]

yeah know what you mean, the ads in between babestation are very loud

windyboy 06 February 2007 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by jaytc2003 (Post 6630783)
yeah know what you mean, the ads in between babestation are very loud

Late night Sci-Fi Channel "YEAHHH BABY" is really loud too :norty:

Windyboy.

alcazar 06 February 2007 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by wrx_yank (Post 6630441)

"Mute" button? Mine's nearly got the graphic worn off it;)

Alcazar

RichS 06 February 2007 05:37 PM

This isn't limited to Sky - it's a "feature" that's been around for years, long before satellite or cable programming.

I read it has something to do with the audio compression that advertisers use. Supposedly while the ads are set to the same/similar volume as the rest of the programming, the compression makes them sound louder.
(Then again, I think this explanation is bollox....)

Dracoro 06 February 2007 05:52 PM

I personally think the "sounds louder" rather than "IS louder" is a crap argument for the TV broadcasters to use simply to appease their advertisers. Technically true or not, to the consumers you and I, we have to turn the volume down and that says it IS louder to most people.

Apparition 06 February 2007 06:08 PM

Either go the sky+ route or hit the mute button like we do.
Yve

alcazar 06 February 2007 06:39 PM

AFAIK, it's SUPPOSED to be illegal to have the advert volume turned up?

And with today's technology, the "compression" argument just doesn't hold water.

I bet a gizmo that AUTOMATICALLY muted the set if it detected a sudden increase in volume, would sell well, and I ALSO bet the TV companies would soon find a "cure" for the compression problem;)

Alcazar

mart360 06 February 2007 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by RichS (Post 6630982)
This isn't limited to Sky - it's a "feature" that's been around for years, long before satellite or cable programming.

I read it has something to do with the audio compression that advertisers use. Supposedly while the ads are set to the same/similar volume as the rest of the programming, the compression makes them sound louder.
(Then again, I think this explanation is bollox....)

No you are quite right, its called bandwith compression... they compress the normal stuff into a narrow band and you hear it as normal telly. When the ads come on, they let the material use the whole of the bandwidth, this give a far louder and correct!! audio sound. when the programmes restatr, they squash the bandwidth back down.

Its legal, but naughty. As they are not allowed to increase the volume amplification on normal tv.. so they use the bandwidth method.

They all owned up to it some years back

mart

Stephb1986 06 February 2007 08:43 PM

yeah they are deafening!! i have to cover my ears sometimes :(

RichS 06 February 2007 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by mart360 (Post 6631595)
No you are quite right, its called bandwith compression... they compress the normal stuff into a narrow band and you hear it as normal telly. When the ads come on, they let the material use the whole of the bandwidth, this give a far louder and correct!! audio sound. when the programmes restatr, they squash the bandwidth back down.

Its legal, but naughty. As they are not allowed to increase the volume amplification on normal tv.. so they use the bandwidth method.

They all owned up to it some years back

mart

Ahhh - so the normal programmes are compressed and the ads aren't?
I got it the wrong way round - thanks mart.

Anyway, no matter what the explanation, it's a pain in the a$$.
...especially CILLIT BANG adverts :mad:

SirFozzalot 06 February 2007 09:20 PM

Very frustrating. :mad:

Luminous 06 February 2007 09:50 PM

Its amazing when we supposedly have a consumer driven society that this still happens. We need to setup some sort of campaign to get it fixed, its just so damn annoying :(

wrx_yank 06 February 2007 10:01 PM

im still confused why there are adverts on there anyway..... since i am paying for the programming already.... do they need MORE money?

then again i am just cheap.:lol1: