ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   laminate flooring (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/580840-laminate-flooring.html)

j4ckos mate 06 February 2007 11:34 AM

laminate flooring

thinking off getting it for the kids bedrooms and living rooms

is it still fashionable does anyone know
:wonder:

also if it is any tips would be appreciated

DCI Gene Hunt 06 February 2007 11:41 AM

I'm putting laminate into a new room I'm building onto the house, distressed oak... laminate is better than all wood flooring as its waterproof and harder to scratch/mark ;)

Paul3446 06 February 2007 11:47 AM

If you can afford wood then it's always preferable to have the real thing. If not then laminate is OK, but it certainly isn't waterproof and isn't recommended for bathrooms etc, if the moisture pentetrates to the mdf you're in trouble.

A mate of mine has just put down a bamboo floor, which looks good, might be worth checking out. :thumb:

bobsabuilder 06 February 2007 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt (Post 6629583)
... laminate is better than all wood flooring as its waterproof and harder to scratch/mark ;)

ROFLMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

davegtt 06 February 2007 11:50 AM

Would never have laminate upstairs, think of the noise whilst in the room below :eek:

Got it throughout the house downstairs though and looks really nice. wasnt the cheap stuff from B and Q though.

OllyK 06 February 2007 12:05 PM

Was laminate ever fashionable? Go solid wood!

DCI Gene Hunt 06 February 2007 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by bodge-a-builder (Post 6629613)
ROFLMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad you're amused :thumb: ...... cowboys' the lot of you ;)

rossyboy 06 February 2007 12:24 PM

Top tip when laying - measure, measure and measure some more before cutting. Make sure those expansion gaps are right.

Dont be tempted to just lay a board if a bit has flaked off as you will regret it.

Its really advisable to take the skirting boards off and lay underneath as it looks a bit crap with the dowling type rods around the room.

davyboy 06 February 2007 12:37 PM

It looks crap if it's been done crap....done correctly it looks fine.

Use Quickstep flooring and you can't go far wrong.

Freak 06 February 2007 01:46 PM

I didnt bother with laminate
Just sanded original floorboards - look fantastic when laquered/varnished.

It is an old house with original boards though, which may not be the case if you live in some modern lego type sh!tbox. Solid wood laminate is nice but pricey.

davegtt 06 February 2007 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by davyboy (Post 6629866)
Use Quickstep flooring and you can't go far wrong.

:thumb:

OllyK 06 February 2007 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Freak (Post 6630149)
Solid wood laminate is nice but pricey.

Do you just mean solid wood boards or do you mean a wood laminate over mdf rather than the paper print?

turbomatt 06 February 2007 02:36 PM

Pay the extra and get wood flooring imo i have laminate and it looks slightly tacky nowadays.As the above posts measure measure measure and also a hand held jigsaw with a very fine blade made it twice as easy to install.Also taking the skirting off like the dude above says and install underneath makes a world of difference

silverscoobydan 06 February 2007 02:47 PM

If you buy the cheap Ikea type stuff it will look naff. The more you pay the better quality it looks.
I would definatly go for laminate in the kids room simply because it is hard wearing.
Some laminate now has textured top surfaces (cut down on that un-natural shine) and even v groove joints.

rossyboy 06 February 2007 03:10 PM

Just sanded original floorboards - look fantastic when laquered/varnished.
The problem here is cold draughts (sp?) If you have insulation under the floorboards then fine, otherwise forget it - unless you want a massive heating bill!

paulr 06 February 2007 03:21 PM

Only thing i have found in the bedroom is its so easy now to spot pubic hairs on the floor.

Paul3446 06 February 2007 03:30 PM

:lol: I found that after putting white tiles in the shower room!

Lee247 06 February 2007 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Paul3446 (Post 6629603)
If you can afford wood then it's always preferable to have the real thing. If not then laminate is OK, but it certainly isn't waterproof and isn't recommended for bathrooms etc, if the moisture pentetrates to the mdf you're in trouble.

A mate of mine has just put down a bamboo floor, which looks good, might be worth checking out. :thumb:

I've got Amtico in my bathrooms and it's not been a pick of bother. Looks fantastic too :)

J4CKO 06 February 2007 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate (Post 6629559)
thinking off getting it for the kids bedrooms and living rooms

is it still fashionable does anyone know
:wonder:

also if it is any tips would be appreciated

Since when did fashion put you off anything !

^OPM^ 06 February 2007 07:55 PM

Do u get problems of your pubes showing up on floor? :wonder:

Originally Posted by 84of300 (Post 6631135)
I've got Amtico in my bathrooms and it's not been a pick of bother. Looks fantastic too :)