ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Do engines running better in this weather? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/580798-do-engines-running-better-in-this-weather.html)

GrahamG 06 February 2007 08:25 AM

Do engines run better in this weather?

Just got into the office and a guy he wa telling me that his car is running bad due to the cold weather.... This is a new 530D. He asked me what my MPG was and said.. "40ish, but the car is running well at the moment due to be cold etc..."

That was it... he went off on one saying that cars run better in the summmer....

I thought that they run better in the colder weather... I'm confussed!

Can someone shed some light.. :D

suprabeast 06 February 2007 08:28 AM

I think most cars run better when the air is denser (ie cold days in winter).

In effect I think your compression ratio is slightly increased and the extra oxygen will give you more bang for your buck!!

OllyK 06 February 2007 08:28 AM

You'll get better performance in the cold, especially with Turbos due to cold air being more dense and so you can get more of it in the cylinder and thus get better combsution. However, cold can affect battery efficiency and cause problems with various fluids becoming more viscous. The scoob loves the cold, my old beetle hated it.

GrahamG 06 February 2007 08:31 AM

thats what i thought....

I jsut need to find a website with all this info to push his way!! :D:D

LG John 06 February 2007 08:37 AM

I find cars generally run quicker in the cold but not better. My scooby hesitates a fair bit off boost until she is warmed up. If it's cold though - it flys when she's warm :D

Dieseldog 06 February 2007 08:38 AM

Cold air intake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

<takes place in line of Scoobynetters waiting in line to slap bloke in G's office, a.k.a "Airplane">

GrahamG 06 February 2007 08:48 AM

Cheers! :D

mannyo 06 February 2007 09:01 AM

But if its a diesel, its a different story. In really cold weather diesel has a tendancy to go waxy, this in turn has problems getting through the fuel system and leads to lumpy running. If the night has been cold and frosty my 2.0TDi can be really lumpy although it appears to run ok.

CrisPDuk 06 February 2007 09:08 AM

Older diesels did used to run worse in the cold, mainly because any advantage gained from colder denser air was always outweighed by the fuel being so close to freezing that it wouldn't flow properly, but with modern additives diesels don't have that problem anymore.
My guess is he's just another office w@nker, remember the old cliche about a little bit of knowledge;)

51st state 06 February 2007 09:13 AM

diesels will be a bit sluggish until warm, in any weather
cold air, denser, gives a better bang ; more power
diesel fuels have anti waxing added to them, and diesel engines have a return pipe for unburnt fuel that runs back to the tank, the fuel is hot and so warms the fuel in the tank!:thumb:

davegtt 06 February 2007 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy (Post 6628842)
I find cars generally run quicker in the cold but not better. My scooby hesitates a fair bit off boost until she is warmed up. If it's cold though - it flys when she's warm :D

Snap, if I want to put the power down its definately faster in this weather (presuming the wheels aint spinning everywhere which it normally does) but trundling along I got lots of hesitation but thats because of the large FMIC and carb freeze.

davyboy 06 February 2007 09:23 AM

They answered this in Evo a few months back, basically said you'd not notice any difference.

Now, I'm pretty sure my car runs better in the cold too??

billythekid 06 February 2007 09:29 AM

Intercooled petrol turbo engines will run better in the cold. Worse in the hot.
Diesel engines can wax up as stated, but has to get rather cold TBH - in the UK its not often that you get it cold enough to be a major problem (i,e car wont start) but it can lead to engine running a bit rough.

GrahamG 06 February 2007 11:18 AM

Once mine has warmed up i find mine always runs better in the cold (306 Dturbo) Just seems to have more of a kick!

Leslie 06 February 2007 11:25 AM

Cold air in the intake will always provide more power, when the engine is up to normal running temperature.

Les

wrx_yank 06 February 2007 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 6629511)
Cold air in the intake will always provide more power, when the engine is up to normal running temperature.

Les

true!!!

i will have some unkind words for anyone who cranks up their subaru on A cold winter morning and immidiatly goes WOT(wide open throttle) that is how you pop a motor and blow seals..... my baby idles in the garage for 10 minutes plus before i even move it.... then i go easy on her for another 5-10 minutes... just because the temp says warm.... thats the water/antifreeze in the engine, not the oil.... and that is what will blow a seal....

just my 0.02

The Trooper 1815 06 February 2007 12:24 PM

Had a remap on my previous Scoob done in February topped out at 262 BHP, intake temp was 9 Degrees C. Went on an RR Day in the May Intake temp was up to 19 Degrees and I was down about 12 BHP.

At altitude jets use more fuel because the air is thinner. But, at ground level they use less, same really but different:D

LG John 06 February 2007 12:45 PM

They answered this in Evo a few months back, basically said you'd not notice any difference
Well that's a load of crap! Anyone that can't tell the difference between the same Turbo petrol car at -3 degrees and 30 degrees needs their head seen to! The difference is considerable :)

But faster doesn't mean better which was the question in the thread. I find cars generally run better in slightly warmer conditions.

TelBoy 06 February 2007 12:52 PM

Has anyone ever stopped to wonder why they call it an intercooler :wonder:

Clus is in the question :)

andythejock01wrx 06 February 2007 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy (Post 6628842)

Kenny, maybe the car doesn't run too well because it's auld !! :lol1: ;)

LG John 06 February 2007 01:01 PM

That too :D

john banks 06 February 2007 01:20 PM

I gather you might get better fuel economy in warmer weather at cruise.

GrahamG 06 February 2007 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 6629933)
Has anyone ever stopped to wonder why they call it an intercooler :wonder:

Clus is in the question :)

that was my first point this morning.... :thumb:

TelBoy 06 February 2007 01:36 PM

I bet you didn't mis-spell "clue" though :razz:

:lol1:

andythejock01wrx 06 February 2007 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy (Post 6629985)
That too :D

;)

miff13 06 February 2007 10:47 PM

[QUOTE= At altitude jets use more fuel because the air is thinner. But, at ground level they use less, same really but different:D[/QUOTE]

Sorry to go off track, isn't the other way around? Thought they flew at high altitudes as there is less resistance and therefore better fuel economy? :wonder:

wrx_yank 06 February 2007 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by miff13 (Post 6632262)
Sorry to go off track, isn't the other way around? Thought they flew at high altitudes as there is less resistance and therefore better fuel economy? :wonder:

that is why an f-15 with 2 aux fuel tanks can make it from NY to iceland then to germany with no AIR REFUEL... they climb to their service ceiling where the engines are more efficient,

miff13 06 February 2007 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by wrx_yank (Post 6632288)
that is why an f-15 with 2 aux fuel tanks can make it from NY to iceland then to germany with no AIR REFUEL... they climb to their service ceiling where the engines are more efficient,

Thought so, cheers

CrisPDuk 07 February 2007 02:30 AM

Maybe Graham's colleague is a typical BM driver and drives everywhere foot to the boards. Yes the engine will be running better, but so too will the traction control, because the roads are slippier;)

Maybe the muppet thinks the his car's got a misfire, when in fact it's just trying to stop him from killing himself:lol1:
I'm not sure how BMWs work, I know the flashing lights on the outside are optional, are the ones on the dash too:wonder:

GrahamG 07 February 2007 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk (Post 6632593)
Maybe Graham's colleague is a typical BM driver and drives everywhere foot to the boards. Yes the engine will be running better, but so too will the traction control, because the roads are slippier;)

Maybe the muppet thinks the his car's got a misfire, when in fact it's just trying to stop him from killing himself:lol1:
I'm not sure how BMWs work, I know the flashing lights on the outside are optional, are the ones on the dash too:wonder:

Thats the correct answer! hehe :lol1: