ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Advice on contract hire (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/580740-advice-on-contract-hire.html)

OllyK 05 February 2007 09:38 PM

Advice on contract hire

Pondering getting the next car on contract hire rather than getting a loan etc. Anybody got any advice on this approach? Any recommended suppliers? Not looking for anything outrageous in terms of vehicle, A4 Avant oil burner or similar would suffice.

OllyK 06 February 2007 08:15 AM

So nobody does PCH then? Ooookaaaaay!

DCI Gene Hunt 06 February 2007 08:22 AM

*tumbleweed>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>*

OllyK 06 February 2007 08:26 AM

Let me help you out....
http://fp.samitcho.plus.com/smilies/...s/tumbweed.gif

DCI Gene Hunt 06 February 2007 08:30 AM

Why thank you, it even rolls in the right direction :thumb:

Now if you'd have typed the following...

'Contract hire is a load of ****e, its a rip off and all branch managers are muslim extremists'

....you've received around 150 replies by now telling you that you're racist scum but more importantly where to go for good service and what rates to expect!

;)

OllyK 06 February 2007 08:33 AM

Lol - probably right, seems a shame, SN used to be more general questions and people helping others out, since the demise of the politics forum it all seems to end up in here

Newbie123 06 February 2007 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by OllyK (Post 6627954)
Pondering getting the next car on contract hire rather than getting a loan etc. Anybody got any advice on this approach? Any recommended suppliers? Not looking for anything outrageous in terms of vehicle, A4 Avant oil burner or similar would suffice.

PCH can be very good, but it all depends on the deals available at the time.

Basically you have to be sure that you can live with the car for the period (usually 2 or 3 years), under PCH there is no early opt out. The only way to change car is to buy the rest of the contract out, which is obviously highly uneconomic.

I would suggest starting out with a 2 year or shorter deal to see how you like it, there usually isn't much difference in price between a 2 year deal or 3 year deal anyway. Obviously the biggest advantages of PCH are that you get a new vehicle every 2-3 years, and the biggest advantage for me is that at the end of the contract you just hand the car back and walk away and search for the next best deal, no nonsense about having to negotiate the best trade-in value etc etc.

Have a look at Contract Hire & Car Leasing UK - Lease a new car today! , most of the companies advertise on there, for a summary of the cheapest deals have a look at someone like freedom contracts as they keep their site very up to date with the latest offers. I haven't used them myself but I've used a couple of other companies who advertise on there, and I've been very happy so far.

Also remember that a lot of these companies advertise prices excluding VAT, but in 99% of cases it's just a question of adding VAT to get at the PCH price.

Any other questions just ask.

Daft Lad 06 February 2007 10:03 AM

Agree, don't forget mileage can be a huge factor if you only want a short contract on the vehicle aswell. Sometimes three year contracts can be significantly cheaper than two year contracts if, for example, the customer wants to do in excess of 25,000 miles per annum.

Newbie123 is right, we also advertise on the contract hire and leasing site and chances are you'll be able to find exactly what you're looking for on there, like he says just add VAT for a personal contract. And if you see two similar cars, one being cheaper than the other by a large amount, be sure to ask if there are any admin or documentation fees, a lot of companies advertise very low prices but then add charges on when you get the documentation through.

James

Chrisgr31 06 February 2007 12:00 PM

My last Impreza was on contract hire organised through the dealer and therefore Subaru Finance. I thught it was an excellent deal and couldn;t match the price anywhere. I had a mileage limit of 25,000 miles a year, had a 2 year deal.

OllyK 06 February 2007 12:10 PM

So worth lookng at main dealers as well then! Cool, thanks. Mileage shouldn't be an issue, I'm doing under 10K a year atm, although I'd probably want 15K to be on the same side.

KiwiGTI 06 February 2007 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by OllyK (Post 6628821)
Lol - probably right, seems a shame, SN used to be more general questions and people helping others out, since the demise of the politics forum it all seems to end up in here

Problem is most S'net members are well off and don't need any sort of finance for their cars.