ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Essex Subaru Owners Club (https://www.scoobynet.com/essex-subaru-owners-club-362/)
-   -   todays mod, was not without a problem (https://www.scoobynet.com/essex-subaru-owners-club-362/580384-todays-mod-was-not-without-a-problem.html)

cookstar 04 February 2007 06:00 PM

todays mod, was not without a problem

I managed to shear the inside of my locking wheel nut off inside the nut, now does anyone have a solution to this, if i could be bothered or if it was worth it i could pick the pieces out of the nut.

Will Subaru have a nut to get me out of trouble, obviously will be getting a new set of lockers so it does not matter if they are unusable after removal.

Any other sudgestions :wonder:

Diesel_DC 04 February 2007 07:04 PM

Use a socket that is really tight, should be able to get it of that way

cookstar 04 February 2007 07:05 PM

didnt want to go down this route, do you reckon a tyre shop will have to proper removal tool

SirFozzalot 04 February 2007 07:12 PM

Might be worth giving Elite (in Rainham) a call. They might be able to help. Failing that, try your local Subaru dealer.

cookstar 04 February 2007 07:22 PM

will make some calls tomorrow, whats that guys name at Elites, is it Barry :wonder:

Mark_B4 04 February 2007 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 6624042)
I managed to shear the inside of my locking wheel nut off inside the nut, now does anyone have a solution to this, if i could be bothered or if it was worth it i could pick the pieces out of the nut.

Will Subaru have a nut to get me out of trouble, obviously will be getting a new set of lockers so it does not matter if they are unusable after removal.

Any other sudgestions :wonder:

Mark,

It may have damaged the thread on the hub stud....

there only about £3.50 from a subaru dealer, but you have to take the brake system off to get to the HUB, then a heavy hammer to push the old stud out. then use some copper ease to pull the new one back through, using a wheel nut to pull it through, real tight fit...

Had to replace a couple of mine as I have a habbit of over tightening wheel nuts...

Now use a torque wrench every time, keep it in the boot incase I get a punchure...:thumb:

Give me a shout if you need a hand to do it.;)

Turbo_T 04 February 2007 07:52 PM

what sort of locker is it cookstar ?

cookstar 04 February 2007 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mark_B4 (Post 6624424)
Mark,

It may have damaged the thread on the hub stud....

there only about £3.50 from a subaru dealer, but you have to take the brake system off to get to the HUB, then a heavy hammer to push the old stud out. then use some copper ease to pull the new one back through, using a wheel nut to pull it through, real tight fit...

Had to replace a couple of mine as I have a habbit of over tightening wheel nuts...

Now use a torque wrench every time, keep it in the boot incase I get a punchure...:thumb:

Give me a shout if you need a hand to do it.;)

Will do mate, i was going to change all the studs anyway, i have a new set to go on al ready, its just getting the actual nut off without the key thats the prob.

Was thinking about investing in a torque wrench to to be honest.

cookstar 04 February 2007 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo_T (Post 6624500)
what sort of locker is it cookstar ?

This is one of the nuts that was removed before the key/socket/whatever you call it broke

http://i5.tinypic.com/2lih7yh.jpg

Mark_B4 04 February 2007 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 6624629)
This is one of the nuts that was removed before the key/socket/whatever you call it broke

http://i5.tinypic.com/2lih7yh.jpg

Has it actually broke the key section?

when I broke mine it just broke the outer edge on one side, and I still managed to get it undone... I'll be off work tomorrow if you need a hand mate.

cookstar 04 February 2007 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mark_B4 (Post 6624670)
Has it actually broke the key section?

when I broke mine it just broke the outer edge on one side, and I still managed to get it undone... I'll be off work tomorrow if you need a hand mate.

The whole sort of ring that goes slots into the recess in the pic above has sheareed off, I am on nights tomorrow so would be cool if you could lend a hand, where abouts are you mate :)

rb5 286 04 February 2007 09:15 PM

Thats what happened to me. Called Martin @ Wilson and told him. Went down there they removed the locking nuts with the master key and gave me a new set free for charge.

cookstar 04 February 2007 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by rb5 286 (Post 6624725)
Thats what happened to me. Called Martin @ Wilson and told him. Went down there they removed the locking nuts with the master key and gave me a new set free for charge.

Really, how old was your car at the time?

Mark_B4 04 February 2007 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 6624681)
The whole sort of ring that goes slots into the recess in the pic above has sheareed off, I am on nights tomorrow so would be cool if you could lend a hand, where abouts are you mate :)

I'm in Basildon mate...

can come to you if you want... bring me tools :thumb:

cookstar 04 February 2007 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mark_B4 (Post 6624775)
I'm in Basildon mate...

PM me your addy and number mate, i will drive to you, four nuts will be fine :D

cookstar 04 February 2007 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mark_B4 (Post 6624775)
I'm in Basildon mate...

Although i may go to Wilsons first as there may be a set of locking wheel nuts in it for me :norty:

Her at the back 04 February 2007 09:45 PM

if you need a set text me and i'll see if we still have one

BeeSTi 04 February 2007 09:48 PM

Cookstar, Sorry to hear about your lockers mate, I am also in Basildon and as a last resort get yourself an extension bar and I will weld it to each nut so you can undo with a ratchet.

PM me if you need help:thumb:

Darren

cookstar 04 February 2007 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by BeeSTi (Post 6624863)
Cookstar, Sorry to hear about your lockers mate, I am also in Basildon and as a last resort get yourself an extension bar and I will weld it to each nut so you can undo with a ratchet.

PM me if you need help:thumb:

Darren

thanks, hopefully will be alright, but will bear that in mind :thumb:

FLAT ERIC 04 February 2007 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by rb5 286 (Post 6624725)
they removed the locking nuts with the master key.

Wilsons master key http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/26/p4614426_l.jpg

Mark ;)

cookstar 04 February 2007 10:31 PM

my favorite tool :)

cookstar 04 February 2007 10:39 PM

TBH i have been a bit overwhelmed by the help offered today, thanks a million guys :notworthy

Her at the back 05 February 2007 12:46 AM

Mark

Have that plastic T bar if you fancy a coffee :D

cookstar 05 February 2007 03:58 PM

gonna have to be tomorrow Sarah, gotta get ready for work now :(

Popped into Subaru, and they have taken the number of the key and ordered me a new one, £10 and its sorted :thumb:

Thanks for today Mark

spally 05 February 2007 05:44 PM

is there any part of your car you havent broken Cookie? he he ;)

Cornelius 05 February 2007 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by spally (Post 6627025)
is there any part of your car you havent broken Cookie? he he ;)

saucer of milk anone;):D

spally 05 February 2007 05:59 PM

:lol: cookie knows i'm only kidding....after all i'm not exactly one to talk ;)

Cornelius 05 February 2007 06:00 PM

I know mate, just playing;)

cookstar 05 February 2007 06:27 PM

I havent broken any windows yet :wonder: