ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Any got an upscaling to (to HD) DVD player? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/579922-any-got-an-upscaling-to-to-hd-dvd-player.html)

Petem95 02 February 2007 08:57 PM

Any got an upscaling to (to HD) DVD player?

Advertising has got the better of me, and I've realised I can nolonger live without buying a big new HD LCD TV, however I want to get an upscaling DVD player along with this so that I can make the most of the HD capability.

For people that dont know, these will 'upscale' existing DVD's to a higher resolution that the HD TV can display. Not sure exactly how this works, but presumably it decides on the colour of the extra pixels depending on the ones surrouding? Either way I've heard the results are very impressive and picture quality is noticably improved.

Anyone got an upscaling DVD player (surely most people who have an HD TV do?...) and whats you opinion? What model etc?

Want one that does DivX playback - this ones currently top of my list;
Sony DVD/DIVX HDMI DVP-NS76H review cheap prices DVD/DIVX HDMI DVP-NS76H Sony best buy discount online uk shop

Fuzz 02 February 2007 09:11 PM

Yep
DENON UK | Home Audio Components
Denon DVD-2910
Upscales to 720p or 1080i :thumb:

better to get 1080p if you can...
I have mine on 720p (better than 1080i)

Mine's been discontinued already.. :rolleyes:
New model does 1080p and divx :D
DENON UK | Home Audio Components

Andy

Varboy 02 February 2007 09:16 PM

I've been thinking about one of these DVDs for a while, wouldn't mind hearing other people's opinions!

Fuzz 02 February 2007 09:17 PM

What.. can't hear ya.. Music's too foofing loud. :lol1:

edit to add this is what mine can produce... :eek: (amazed even me)

http://www.ashlyn.plus.com/personal/avdodgethis.jpg

kbsub 02 February 2007 09:19 PM

I have a Denon 1920 now superseded by the 1930 , The PQ is very good but not as good as Sky HD which is true HD . They have both won numerous awards with What Hi-Fi mag and about as good as it gets for around £200-£250. Although the Oppo 971 gets very good reviews for less money , not sure on the Divx playback though. The Oppo uses the same upscaler as the Denon (Faroudja chip )
The Denon 1920/30 suffers(not everyone reports this problem though) from lip-sync on some Discs but I counteract this with audio delay function on the Denon 1906 amp .

Fuzz 02 February 2007 09:22 PM

only lip sync errors on mine when I "fix" the machine for region 1... fine when playing Uk discs without the mod. :rolleyes:

Andy

Petem95 02 February 2007 09:28 PM

Fuzz/kbsub, so is there a noticable improvement when playing regular DVD's upscaled compared to not-upscaled? What size screens do you have?

kbsub 02 February 2007 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Fuzz (Post 6619642)
only lip sync errors on mine when I "fix" the machine for region 1... fine when playing Uk discs without the mod. :rolleyes:

Andy

Its only the 1920/30 that has the lip sync problem .
Not sure on the budget but the Toshiba gets very good reviews for the money .

jods 02 February 2007 09:32 PM

Arcam DV79 720p / 1080i

Dogs danglies (costs though)

Get wot u pay for :)

kbsub 02 February 2007 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Petem95 (Post 6619673)
Fuzz/kbsub, so is there a noticable improvement when playing regular DVD's upscaled compared to not-upscaled? What size screens do you have?

I have a Tosh 32" WLT66 viewed from about 9 feet away and there is a noticeable improvement when up scaled to 720p , 1080i looks almost too sharp and I prefer the "cleaner" picture from 720p. Having said that the non- up-scaled picture looks very good.

Fuzz 02 February 2007 10:12 PM

Pretty much as Ksub says, only mine is 43" viewed from 13ft away:norty:
Same effects though, best picture in 720p.

Picture was taken at about 4ft away mind !

definite lip sync on mine on certain reg1 discs.. so obviously not solely attributed to the 1900 series. :wonder:

topdog 03 February 2007 01:01 AM

Just bought one of these with HDMI output

SAMSUNG's Digital World - DVDPlayer | DVD-HD860

flat4 03 February 2007 01:42 AM

Your HDTV will upscale the picture sent from a normal DVD player so why bother :) unless of course your DVD player does a better job of upscaling than the TV, this is what you need to ask yourself :)

Varboy 03 February 2007 07:42 AM

ok, these sound interesting but I play a lot of region 1 discs, so I am not prepared to put up with lip-sync issues.

Can anyone recommend something around about the £300 barrier or shall I just get off my butt and go and buy what cinema or something?

EXSCOOBY 03 February 2007 07:43 AM

why on earth would you want an lcd tv
view a good plasma on sports ie footy or tennis and see what i mean

davedipster 03 February 2007 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by flat4 (Post 6620267)
Your HDTV will upscale the picture sent from a normal DVD player so why bother :) unless of course your DVD player does a better job of upscaling than the TV, this is what you need to ask yourself :)

Exactly, your HDTV upscales anyway. Why bother to upscale at the player?
Better off waiting for reasonably priced HD players to come on the market.

dipster

kbsub 03 February 2007 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by davedipster (Post 6620388)
Exactly, your HDTV upscales anyway. Why bother to upscale at the player?
Better off waiting for reasonably priced HD players to come on the market.

dipster

Back to that old chesnut ;) this argument as been going on for sometime now and all I can say is ... I have a better picture with the 1920 set to 720p than 480p ,or even through component, so thats good enough for me :thumb:

Petem95 03 February 2007 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by flat4 (Post 6620267)

Upscales it in that it makes the lower resolution image fit the higher resolution screen (otherwise you'd have a little image in the middle), but doesnt actually upscale in terms in increase the level of detail.

Obviously there would be no point (and no big improvements in image quality!) from the upscaling DVD players otherwise!

bluenosewrx 03 February 2007 11:46 AM

Slightly off the subject- will the blue ray player on the new PS3 have a HD type resoloution????, not to clued up on these thing but am No 6 on the waiting list so is it worth waiting for it or should i get a upscaled DVD player???

Thanks in advance.

Mac

TopBanana 03 February 2007 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Petem95 (Post 6620535)
Upscales it in that it makes the lower resolution image fit the higher resolution screen (otherwise you'd have a little image in the middle), but doesnt actually upscale in terms in increase the level of detail.

No upscaler increases the level of detail. Upscaling in DVD players and in TV's is exactly the same thing, the difference is in the implementation. High end TV's will have likely have better upscaling than low-end DVD players.

davedipster 03 February 2007 12:26 PM

Indeed, upscaling dvd players are pure marketing rubbish imho. No more detail cos you are limited to what's on the original dvd.
Wait for hd players and save your money people.

Jamz3k 03 February 2007 12:32 PM

best deal around is a Marantz DV-6600 multi-region going for £129.95 @ Richer Sounds Belfast - it looks fantastic on my Pioneer 43" and has the sound quality to match!

p1mark 03 February 2007 03:08 PM

As above,

I have a Denon 1920, mated to a 50" Pioneer plasma.

You can definetly notice the difference at 1080 compared to the lower resolutions. I connect via HDMI. I cant say i have noticed any lip synch problems:wonder:

I don't have sky HD to compare it too, but the DVD pic is stunning, although this pic does not show it to its best.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/p1mark/av1.jpg

Petem95 03 February 2007 03:50 PM

You flash git P1mark ;)

Very nice tho!!

Flaps 03 February 2007 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by topdog (Post 6620231)

That's what we've got. Not bad for under £100. It didn't come with the HDMI cable though that was another £30 (good old Maplins, Comet wanted £70! :eek2: ) The cable has made a difference though compared to using a scart lead.

Petem95 03 February 2007 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by topdog (Post 6620231)

Whats this one like playing DivX movies? Smooth playback?

kbsub 03 February 2007 04:36 PM

Here is one of the many threads about lip sync problems with the Denon 1920/30.
I tried the Samsung 850 (on loan from Argos :D )before buying the Denon and wasn't too impressed TBH. But then it was £120 cheaper.;)

corradoboy 03 February 2007 05:03 PM

Haven't got an upscaling player yet, but will be getting either the Sony 860 or Pioneer 545 DVD-R/HDD/FV unit soon. Speaking theoretically, my existing DVD player outputs at 480p, component and analogue. This signal has to be converted back to digital for my Pana PX60 to upscale it. The Sony/Pio HDMI upscaling players will be sending digital video to the set, either 480p for upscaling or 720p direct, dependent on which machine has the better upscaler. Surely, there will be a quality hike by removing the conversion to ana and back to digi prior to scaling, no matter which machine does the final processing :wonder:

Petem95 03 February 2007 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by corradoboy (Post 6621284)
Haven't got an upscaling player yet, but will be getting either the Sony 860 or Pioneer 545 DVD-R/HDD/FV unit soon. Speaking theoretically, my existing DVD player outputs at 480p, component and analogue. This signal has to be converted back to digital for my Pana PX60 to upscale it. The Sony/Pio HDMI upscaling players will be sending digital video to the set, either 480p for upscaling or 720p direct, dependent on which machine has the better upscaler. Surely, there will be a quality hike by removing the conversion to ana and back to digi prior to scaling, no matter which machine does the final processing :wonder:

Yep from what I've read (reading lots of what hi-fi cnet etc reviews) there's a significant improvement using a dvd-upscaler with HDMI connection compared to a regular DVD player with the same HD TV and scart connection.

So surely well worth having if you have an HD TV!