ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Boost Guage alway's negative?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/579889-boost-guage-always-negative.html)

Spoiler 02 February 2007 07:45 PM

Boost Guage alway's negative??

Can anyone help out....

My boost gauge which was fitted today look like this....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...daft/boost.jpg

It always is on the low side of zero....

On full boost I get it to Zero (0)...

But I cannot get it to start at zero to shot +ve boost...

I've checked all the connections a few time and all is correct....

No problem with car, pulls good as always!!

Is the guage the problem??

Can anyone help out....

Thanks

Scott

lightwave693 02 February 2007 08:00 PM

on tick over it should show something like -0.7, pressing the accelerator should make it go up to zero and above but not much. try it on the road and if at WOT you dont get positive boost then its probably plumbed in to the wrong pipe... or your leaking boost from someware quite majorly! where have you taken the boost feed from?

scoobboy 02 February 2007 08:00 PM

if everything is wired and plumbed correctly and boosts well then sounds like a dodgy gauge

Lee D T 02 February 2007 08:00 PM

It sounds like it is either plumbed into the wrong place or your car is not boosting properly.

It should read negative pressure when you are off the accelerator or just keeping a constant speed at low revs and obviously a higher pressure when you are accelerating or above 3-4k revs.

The gauge should be plumbed into the inlet manifold.

scoobboy 02 February 2007 08:04 PM

if driving car off throttle the boost gauge should read -0.5-6 then on throttle should sit at zero till the turbo comes in, then if running a standard car should boost to about 0.9bar

Spoiler 02 February 2007 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lee D T (Post 6619293)
It sounds like it is either plumbed into the wrong place or your car is not boosting properly.

It should read negative pressure when you are off the accelerator or just keeping a constant speed at low revs and obviously a higher pressure when you are accelerating or above 3-4k revs.

The gauge should be plumbed into the inlet manifold.

It's plummed into here.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...connection.jpg

Look all good, nothing wrong with the car..... Pulls great as always:norty:

Wrong place??

KIPS 02 February 2007 09:13 PM

When my engines not running my needle sits at zero when started goes minus when floored goes positive looks to me it may be your gauge
or is it mine:wonder:
KIP

Spoiler 02 February 2007 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by scoobboy (Post 6619292)
if everything is wired and plumbed correctly and boosts well then sounds like a dodgy gauge

Just my luck!!

:(

KIPS 02 February 2007 10:17 PM

HAVE A LOOK ON THE GROUP BUY PICS THEIRS LOADS THAT HAVE JUST BROUGHT THESE ON THEIR
Just had a look on ebay and the are all set on 0 to start these may be differnt if the do the open sweep thing
KIP

scoobboy 02 February 2007 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by KIPS (Post 6619595)
When my engines not running my needle sits at zero when started goes minus when floored goes positive looks to me it may be your gauge
or is it mine:wonder:
KIP

no that sounds right kips yours sound fine, should be zero with ignition turned off, then -0.4-0.6 or thereabouts and positive when boost comes in :thumb:

KIPS 02 February 2007 10:37 PM

Cheers SCOOBYBOY:thumb:
Just looked at the group buy and the same ones as SPOILERS is right as a start position as they do that fancy sweep thing dosent mean it works though
KIP

acko 03 February 2007 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Spoiler (Post 6619312)
It's plummed into here.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...connection.jpg

Look all good, nothing wrong with the car..... Pulls great as always:norty:

Wrong place??

yes plumbed into wrong place by the looks of it m8.

should be plumbed into the inlet manifold not near the dv

MartynJ 03 February 2007 08:47 AM

Plumbing looks fine to me...The pipe connected to the dump valve appears to be teed into and he is picking manifold pressure from there...

Butty 03 February 2007 09:58 AM

Its the right mounting point but the readings sound like they are from before the turbo intake (ie NA readings).
Check the hose to the recirc valve is plumbed into the inlet manifold and not somewhere else.

Nick

Spoiler 03 February 2007 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Butty (Post 6620534)
Its the right mounting point but the readings sound like they are from before the turbo intake (ie NA readings).
Check the hose to the recirc valve is plumbed into the inlet manifold and not somewhere else.

Nick

Cheers Nick....

Funny thing is that it moves like it should, only on the wrong side of zero!!

I think it's the gauge..??

:confused:

Butty 03 February 2007 11:24 AM

Its giving figures like a non-turboed car.
At idle there is a large vacumm (throttle shut) and gauge will show about -0.7 bar.
With more revs and a throttle wide open you should get approaching to atmospheric pressure (zero on gauge) but it'll never go above zero.
If you are sure that your turbo is really boosting then its either a faulty guage or the recirc valve isn't plumbed in to the inlet manifold.

Nick

scoobysmiff 03 February 2007 12:01 PM

I'd tap into the inlet manifold rather than the DV? You will get manifold pressure then which is more accurate for the pressure the engine is being fed.

Spoiler 03 February 2007 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by scoobysmiff (Post 6620788)
I'd tap into the inlet manifold rather than the DV? You will get manifold pressure then which is more accurate for the pressure the engine is being fed.

Any chance of a picture where I would attach??

Cheers

ZEN Performance 03 February 2007 08:30 PM

If it's plumbed into the where the picture shows, then that's fine; the vac hose to the dump valve is subject to manifold pressure. However, I am guessing that is not a picture of your car, and just a picture you used to guide you. Any chance you can post a picture of your actual install?

Paul

milf hunter 03 February 2007 08:42 PM

i fitted mine last week to same place and works perfect:thumb:
make sure the pipe is not kinked :wonder:

Spoiler 03 February 2007 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Zen Performance (Post 6621969)
If it's plumbed into the where the picture shows, then that's fine; the vac hose to the dump valve is subject to manifold pressure. However, I am guessing that is not a picture of your car, and just a picture you used to guide you. Any chance you can post a picture of your actual install?

Paul

It's identical....

scoobysmiff 04 February 2007 11:22 AM

http://www.tinypic.us/images/29675DSC01253.JPG

if you look on the inlet manifold, you will see the pressure outlet nipples, 2 are slightly left and right of centre, tee into one of these and you should see manifold pressure.

ZEN Performance 04 February 2007 11:39 AM

The vac line to the dump valve is already connected directly to the inlet manifold.

Spoiler 04 February 2007 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Zen Performance (Post 6623217)
The vac line to the dump valve is already connected directly to the inlet manifold.

Thats what I thought....

Gauge must be knackered or the sender ans there is not much more that can go wrong with them....

Cheers

cookstar 04 February 2007 12:12 PM

Are the pipes a tight fit on the t piece?

Spoiler 09 February 2007 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 6623307)
Are the pipes a tight fit on the t piece?

Yip they are....

:brickwall :brickwall

orgazmick 09 February 2007 08:12 PM

hiya m8 dont know if this will help u but there is abit about fittng gauges and other stuff good site m8

orgazmick 09 February 2007 08:13 PM

ffs i 4got the link lol www.imprezamods.com well it is friday niteeeeeee yeppeeeeeeeeeee