ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Hude thumbs up for API (again) (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/579565-hude-thumbs-up-for-api-again.html)

cookstar 01 February 2007 06:18 PM

Hude thumbs up for API (again)

Recently had a full PPG gearset and uprated steel selector forks built into my 02 WRX gearbox.

Also while it was out a lightened flywheel was bolted on, and why not an uprated Exedy 500HP clutch

Amazing customer service from start to finish with my car being delivered to my door on completion. :notworthy

It sounds amazing and drives like a different car now, cant recommend this company enough :thumb:

Thanks David, and all the team at API :)

Cookie

WRX_Rich 01 February 2007 07:04 PM

:) so you would reccomend

does it sound like this YouTube - PPG whine

you have gone for the setup I have penciled on my order ;)

cookstar 01 February 2007 07:09 PM

thats the one mate

Speak to david before placing any orders re price ;)

Sounds awsome dont it :D

pslewis 01 February 2007 07:32 PM

That car sounds like its got a knackered gearbox :eek:

What the HELL is it??

And WHY?

ScuuBdoo 01 February 2007 07:37 PM

by jaysus that sound would wreck my head!

merlin24 01 February 2007 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 6615540)
That car sounds like its got a knackered gearbox :eek:

:cuckoo:
Might have something to do with the Straight Cut PPG Gearset !!

pslewis 01 February 2007 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by merlin24 (Post 6615576)
:cuckoo:
Might have something to do with the Straight Cut PPG Gearset !!

Why the hell would anyone want THAT doing??

If I was looking at a car and it sounded like the bag-of-nails that sounds like I would run away!! :eek:

I'm not being funny - I am REALLY puzzled!! :confused:

pslewis 01 February 2007 07:52 PM

Done some looking ....

"Straight cut gearsets are relatively noisy in operation and have an inherent whine to them. This is due to the meshing of the teeth when the gears are rotating.

The meshing of straight cut teeth gives total contact along the tooth at all times which gives the straight cut tooth its added strength over the helically cut tooth"

The question remains WHY?? WHY?? Unless you are about to go on a Rally Stage with a 600BHP+ Scooby it is pointless, absolutely pointless ....

pslewis 01 February 2007 07:53 PM

I appreciate engineering .......

This is a good image ... http://www.ppgearbox.com.au/images/content/WRXDOG.jpg

Pointless in a Road Car.

merlin24 01 February 2007 08:13 PM

The majority of Motorcycle gearbox's,Drag Racers,Hill Climbers etc will use a straight cut gear set for strength and most importantly less drag(sliding friction between the teeth in mesh).
It is important to understand a helical gear set in a Constant Mesh Gearbox will produce tremendous side loads at high torque conditions, thus requiring additional thrust bearings and sometimes a stronger ribbed transmission case.
Helical Gear Set's are quieter,and most manufacturer's use them to lower the NVH levels transmitted into the Interior of the car.

The Whine of the Straight Cut gears get's my Vote :norty:

Moley 01 February 2007 08:13 PM

My gearbox sounds like that at the moment...but it is standard. Think it has days to live rather than weeks!!!

911 01 February 2007 08:30 PM

Pete:
I think Cookstar is heading for 600 bhp!
You can get the ppg in helical synchro too.

I'm surprised how quiet it is! (especially at speed).
Just listen to any Mini with a Jack Knight straight cut box...he will be the one you can hear a mile away.

WRX_Rich 01 February 2007 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 6615607)

The question remains WHY?? WHY?? Unless you are about to go on a Rally Stage with a 600BHP+ Scooby it is pointless, absolutely pointless ....

will 500 bhp at santa pod do you

cookstar 01 February 2007 11:40 PM

Pete, normally your tolerated, but if you have nothing positive to say stay the fcuk out of this thread. It was posted to say thanks for a top job done for me. Not for you to wind people up.

Goodnight :D

Danny Boy 02 February 2007 07:53 AM

Cookstar do you have the syncro box or the dog version?
If you have the syncro version have u got any issues with 3rd at all?
What oil is in it?

Dan.

APIDavid 02 February 2007 12:45 PM

That gearbox is straight cut synchro. Cookie would have broken a helical so the straight is/was the only way.

The issues with 3rd gear fitment etc., are well known here and hinge around selective forks and selector rails to match and also careful shimming of the mainshaft in relation to the mating gear set and shaft.

Synthetic 75W90

Built properly there is no issue.

David APi

pslewis 02 February 2007 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 6616507)
Pete, normally your tolerated, but if you have nothing positive to say stay the fcuk out of this thread. It was posted to say thanks for a top job done for me. Not for you to wind people up.

Goodnight :D

Tolerated?? Who the hell do you think you are??

My post merely asked why someone would want such a noise that sounds like the gearbox is knackered .... not a wind up so wind your neck in!

And, yes, I have no doubt whatsoever that API did a fantastic job - they seem to do that as a matter of course ... I did NOT suggest otherwise!!

So, just because you have spent a fortune on making your car sound like a knackered LADA ........... and someone comments on it - don't start bloody crying!! :rolleyes:

Like I said ... I appreciate the engineering and for 600+BHP it may have a use - but, for a road car - it is just playing at being a Rally Wannabbee and thats the truth - like it or not! ;)

911 02 February 2007 01:45 PM

Interesting about the set-up on 3rd.
I've read that quite a few have found that 3rd 'nicks' a bit at times, especially when rushed and i had put it down to synchro ring fit and oil.

I have had my trans worked-on by API, and their customers all know the top draw service they give and at fair prices, and praise should be given (even when you have paid for it Pete!)

As to such a 'box in a car (road or otherwise), it's your car, and many will tolerate the compromise of a modification for the moments of performance where the mod truly delivers.
If I needed to used such a transmission to ensure the car would not break on the track then that's fine by me, especially as so many Impreza's are now weekend-warriors.

I could always buy a trailer, but what a pain! (far more than ear ache!)

Cookstar/David: Is 5th stock?

Graham.

cookstar 02 February 2007 03:03 PM

Yeah 5th is stock.

Once you get moving you can hardly hear it over the exhaust :D

cookstar 02 February 2007 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 6617975)
Tolerated?? Who the hell do you think you are??

My post merely asked why someone would want such a noise that sounds like the gearbox is knackered .... not a wind up so wind your neck in!

And, yes, I have no doubt whatsoever that API did a fantastic job - they seem to do that as a matter of course ... I did NOT suggest otherwise!!

So, just because you have spent a fortune on making your car sound like a knackered LADA ........... and someone comments on it - don't start bloody crying!! :rolleyes:

Like I said ... I appreciate the engineering and for 600+BHP it may have a use - but, for a road car - it is just playing at being a Rally Wannabbee and thats the truth - like it or not! ;)

I knew you would like that word :D

Fair enough :thumb:

Moley 02 February 2007 03:42 PM

Another big thumbs up for David, spoke to him today

Top quality service as always

Many thanks :thumb:

cookstar 02 February 2007 03:46 PM

anything interesting comng? :)

pslewis 02 February 2007 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 6618255)
I knew you would like that word :D

Fair enough :thumb:

Hmmmmmm

Consider yourself bollocked ;) :lol1:

pslewis 02 February 2007 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 6618382)
anything interesting comng? :)

Yeah, can we have an engine where the big-ends are 2mm oversize (but the crank isn't) ...... glue up the valve lash adjusters so that they have plenty of clearance ...... over rich the mixture so that it runs like a pig ...... should give the kind of 'Knackered' noise you are looking for?? :lol1:

Loosen up all the wheel nuts and then it will drive just how it sounds :thumb: :lol1:

APIDavid 02 February 2007 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by 911 (Post 6618055)
Interesting about the set-up on 3rd.
I've read that quite a few have found that 3rd 'nicks' a bit at times, especially when rushed and i had put it down to synchro ring fit and oil.

I have had my trans worked-on by API, and their customers all know the top draw service they give and at fair prices, and praise should be given (even when you have paid for it Pete!)

As to such a 'box in a car (road or otherwise), it's your car, and many will tolerate the compromise of a modification for the moments of performance where the mod truly delivers.
If I needed to used such a transmission to ensure the car would not break on the track then that's fine by me, especially as so many Impreza's are now weekend-warriors.

I could always buy a trailer, but what a pain! (far more than ear ache!)

Cookstar/David: Is 5th stock?

Graham.

Is that one of those coupe bodied STi 6 's on your ' view my Scooby '
Graham ? Only that yellow one, is not a Subaru shape I recognise.:lol:

David APi

Bits are waiting for you - just ' hanging around '

911 02 February 2007 07:35 PM

! Thanks as ever for the help David. I'll be there and gone before you've woken up!
The 911 is just one on it's own. Fab and horrid all in one drive.
Graham
:D

cookstar 02 February 2007 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 6618727)
Yeah, can we have an engine where the big-ends are 2mm oversize (but the crank isn't) ...... glue up the valve lash adjusters so that they have plenty of clearance ...... over rich the mixture so that it runs like a pig ...... should give the kind of 'Knackered' noise you are looking for?? :lol1:

Loosen up all the wheel nuts and then it will drive just how it sounds :thumb: :lol1:

:lol1: ;)

APIDavid 02 February 2007 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 6619382)
:lol1: ;) [/b]

A bit close to the mark that one eh! Mate.

[ private joke ].

cookstar 02 February 2007 08:25 PM

:D