ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Complaint against travel agent...can ABTA/IATA assist? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/579478-complaint-against-travel-agent-can-abta-iata-assist.html)

turboman786 01 February 2007 01:21 PM

Complaint against travel agent...can ABTA/IATA assist?

I have a disput ongoing with a travel agent..

In anutshell, I paid £2500 for a trip, and the travel agent made no hotel booking for us. We ended up paying for the hotel ourselves, and whilst they reimbursed us in the end, the trip was marred by a lot of stress and inconvenience.

I wrote a formal letter of complaint to the travel agent, and they never replied. I have now issued proceedings in the Small Claims Court for half the cost of the trip...

The travel agent has filed a defence which is a complete pack of lies.....the matter will now be resolved at a trial in a couple of months time....

NOW.....I am seeing red that the travel agent has chosen to try and defend the matter using faked documentation and a fabricated account of events, so I want to try and shaft them basically!!

They are registered with ABTA and IATA, but nothing on the respective websites seems to indicate that the abta OR iata deal with consumer complaints.

How do I go about raising these matters with ABTA/IATA and do these bodies have any sanctions they can take against the agent ?....

///\oo/\\\ 01 February 2007 02:08 PM

Not sure about IATA, but try faxing ABTA on 0207 636 8971 or O207 453 6492 if yu have no luck phoning them.

ABTA will definately deal with complaints

It is, however, unlikely they will act until the outcome of the court action is known.

David Lock 01 February 2007 02:11 PM

There is an arbitration service you can use. You set out your complaint and travel agent is invited to respond. But you have to stand by the decision and you cannot then take it to small claims court. I think it costs around £75 but you can do it all by post. I got stuffed by Kuoni and had a go but ended up with £600 rather then the £2000 I was claiming. Mind you it did have the effect of Kuoni sending several Settlement offers. I have forgotten their details but ABTA will have them. dl

vindaloo 01 February 2007 02:39 PM

Don't close yourself off to the idea that someone working in the travel agents c*cked it up and is now trying to cover it up... Maybe they're retiring soon...

If it's obviously faked, I'd expect them to before proceedings start when they realise it's a load of cr*p. Cue discreet offer to fsck off with a wedge for your discomfort sir....

J.

turboman786 01 February 2007 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by vindaloo (Post 6614528)
Don't close yourself off to the idea that someone working in the travel agents c*cked it up and is now trying to cover it up... Maybe they're retiring soon...

If it's obviously faked, I'd expect them to before proceedings start when they realise it's a load of cr*p. Cue discreet offer to fsck off with a wedge for your discomfort sir....

J.

Its a very small travel agency, owner runs it, and hes the one who has signed the lies on the defence he has submitted. Im actually looking forward to the matter coming to court, as I can hopefully expose him for the lying little rat that he is!

MTwigg 08 February 2013 04:48 PM

a while ago

Hello
I don't know if I am allowed to name companies, but I don't suppose your previous dispute was with UK Mini Breaks, as I have just been ripped off by them!
Thanks

Midlife...... 08 February 2013 07:16 PM

http://www.abta.com/go-travel/before.../find-a-member

I'd check first to see if they are a member..............

Shaun

MTwigg 09 February 2013 01:45 PM

Hello
They are not! When I looked at their website the other day the ABTA badge was there, when I look now it is an IATA badge!

RobsyUK 09 February 2013 01:49 PM

did you pay by credit card? Get the lot back from the credit card if you can.

Aaron1978 09 February 2013 03:07 PM

Not sure you'll get a reply from turboman as he last logged on around 4 years ago, this thread is 6 years old ;)

DYK 09 February 2013 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by azz250478 (Post 10982014)
Not sure you'll get a reply from turboman as he last logged on around 4 years ago, this thread is 6 years old ;)

:lol1: wtf