ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Leather ..how can you tell (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/579433-leather-how-can-you-tell.html)

powerman1 01 February 2007 10:10 AM

Leather ..how can you tell

The other half has just bought an handbag from a small shop near us for £59 and the woman told us it was leather and it had a tag on it in the shape of the leather thingy logo, but my wife is convinced its not leather,it as a smell like leather but this can be sprayed on ... how can you tell.

CrisPDuk 01 February 2007 10:22 AM

Fake leather usually has a woven backing, real leather looks like rough suede on it's unfinished face.

powerman1 01 February 2007 10:23 AM

Because its an handbag its finished on both sides..sort of back to back material

bobsabuilder 01 February 2007 10:24 AM

On a discreet part of the "leather" hold a lighter flame on it.... if it melts its not leather!

Paul3446 01 February 2007 10:27 AM

On a discreet part of the "leather" hold a lighter flame on it.... if it melts you have a big hole in your handbag! :lol1:

Apparition 01 February 2007 10:31 AM

Paul...you may laugh but this is an age old way of testing whether something is infact genuine leather or not.
Yve

SJ_Skyline 01 February 2007 10:36 AM

And if it's not leather you go back to the shop, demand a refund and threaten to shop them to trading standards under the sale of goods act. :D

RichWalk 01 February 2007 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline (Post 6613617)
And if it's not leather you go back to the shop, demand a refund and threaten to shop them to trading standards under the sale of goods act. :D

"I cant refund that sir, its fit for purpose" "No its not there's a ruddy great hole in it where I tested to see if it was real leather or not":D

fitzscoob 01 February 2007 11:06 AM

Have a look along the edges where they meet, I realise they will probably have turned edges as they are finished both sides, but if you can get to a turn over you can lift a small section up to look at the underneath.

Dont be fooled by smell or grain, all that can be faked on synthetic leathers.

What makes you think it isnt leather?

STi wanna Subaru 01 February 2007 11:20 AM

If she's happy with it then what does it really matter? I'm sure she'll have forgotten in a week or two when this one is at the bottom of the draw with the other 20 and she has two new ones to carry.

richiewong 01 February 2007 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru (Post 6613742)
If she's happy with it then what does it really matter? I'm sure she'll have forgotten in a week or two when this one is at the bottom of the draw with the other 20 and she has two new ones to carry.

:lol: So true and with the umpteen amount of shoes as well:D:thumb:

Brendan Hughes 01 February 2007 11:48 AM

Guy - :notworthy

Paul3446 01 February 2007 11:51 AM

So what happens to leather if you hold a flame to it? :wonder:

fitzscoob 01 February 2007 11:59 AM

if its up to crib 5 specification it wont burn, if it isnt it will catch fire lol

Apparition 01 February 2007 12:10 PM

Nothing should happen if it's good quality leather.
The way the stitching lies is also a giveaway but only apparent to practised eyes.
Yve

fitzscoob 01 February 2007 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Apparition (Post 6613897)
Nothing should happen if it's good quality leather.
The way the stitching lies is also a giveaway but only apparent to practised eyes.
Yve

Just out of interest, how are you connected with the leather trade?

Wurzel 01 February 2007 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by fitzscoob (Post 6613958)
Just out of interest, how are you connected with the leather trade?

By thin leather straps :D

fitzscoob 01 February 2007 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Wurzel (Post 6614060)
By thin leather straps :D

Ohh err! :)

jaytc2003 01 February 2007 01:20 PM

take it to a field with cows and stand in the field. If you get a reaction then you know its real and you will need to mooooove fast

InvisibleMan 01 February 2007 01:41 PM

yup thats true, lighter on it & it shouldnt burn. Went to a leather making place in Italy and showed how they make it, test & prove it.
It helped seeing this as when i came back from i was approached by a dodgy geezer selling leather coats, was doing his best to blag it so i held a lighter to it, he pulled it away, jumped in his motor and sped off.

SJ_Skyline 01 February 2007 01:49 PM

At only £59, I reckon it'll burn ;)

fitzscoob 01 February 2007 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by InvisibleMan (Post 6614321)
It helped seeing this as when i came back from i was approached by a dodgy geezer selling leather coats, was doing his best to blag it so i held a lighter to it, he pulled it away, jumped in his motor and sped off.

Either that or he didnt want his coat marked by the flame lol.

Not all leathers are treated to crib 5 specs, so dont go wild with your lighters lol.

powerman1 01 February 2007 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by fitzscoob (Post 6613718)
Have a look along the edges where they meet, I realise they will probably have turned edges as they are finished both sides, but if you can get to a turn over you can lift a small section up to look at the underneath.

Dont be fooled by smell or grain, all that can be faked on synthetic leathers.

What makes you think it isnt leather?

its the wife who thinks its not leather and i tried to explain that good honest shops dont try to get away with sort of thing now.Normally it would have a stamp somewhere saying Genuine Leather but this bag didnt it had a Tag fastened to the handle in the shape of the leather symbol but no writng anywhere..still a lot of money for a Roy Cropper PVC bag

fitzscoob 01 February 2007 02:39 PM

Some of those tags in the shape of animal hides can have extra writing, if it has mentions of 'bonded' or 'ground' leather this is a man made product and cannot be sold as real leather.

In the grand scheme of things, there are loads of leathers out there that are so heavily corrected and treated that at the end of the day they dont look like leather. There are also, many great synthetic leathers which give the appearance and feel of leather - although this is hard to come across in the uk as it is mostly used in Italian / Spanish / Indian production facilities as this is where the bulk of the work goes to.

New_scooby_04 01 February 2007 02:42 PM

Leather ..how can you tell?

Check your local field for a rather cold looking cow!! ;) :D

Ns04

scunnered 02 February 2007 12:09 AM

Try stretching it. If it is pvc, there'll be a bit of give. If it's real leather you wont see any movement at all.
Somebody told me that when I was a kid, about 40 years ago, it really does work

Lee247 02 February 2007 12:21 AM

Real leather doesn't lose it's smell for ages. I can tell that by my new boots. The fake stuff will lose it in a few days :)

fitzscoob 02 February 2007 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by scunnered (Post 6616609)
Try stretching it. If it is pvc, there'll be a bit of give. If it's real leather you wont see any movement at all.
Somebody told me that when I was a kid, about 40 years ago, it really does work

Not the case anymore I'm affraid, depending on the leathers some are stretchy as you like.

KiwiGTI 02 February 2007 09:34 AM

Definitely use the lighter test.

Also leather doesn't mean better or more expensive - plenty of £1000 handbags made of plastic or canvas.

David Lock 02 February 2007 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI (Post 6617073)
Definitely use the lighter test.

Also leather doesn't mean better or more expensive - plenty of £1000 handbags made of plastic or canvas.

Not in our house there aren't :D