ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Is it my power steering pump? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/579079-is-it-my-power-steering-pump.html)

OakleighParkScoobie 30 January 2007 10:01 PM

Is it my power steering pump?

Ive just been out in my Bugeye WRX 2001, standard car and noticed when turning the steering wheel when stationary the steering wheel jerks and there is a squeeking noise, sounds almost like a fan belt would when loose. Could this be my power steering pump about to go or is it something less sinister? Its gets progressivly worse for 2/3 lock in either direction.

Anyone got any ideas?

34srm 30 January 2007 10:04 PM

check the fluid level

OakleighParkScoobie 30 January 2007 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by 34srm (Post 6609141)
check the fluid level

I did and it seems ok, but then again it might need topping up, was fine on sunday when i last drove it.

34srm 31 January 2007 01:11 AM

prob the pump then

OakleighParkScoobie 31 January 2007 08:45 AM

Do you think it could need a new power steering rack too? I've not had a chance to check the fluid today but will do when i get home from work. There doesn't seem to be a loss of power to the steering it just becomes juddery at 2/3 lock, no funny nioses other than the sqealing from the belt at 2/3 lock which as i mentioned sounds like a fan belt would if loose!

34srm 31 January 2007 10:37 AM

carnt see it being the rack unless high miles get the pump checked out first its favorate

OakleighParkScoobie 31 January 2007 10:52 AM

Car has done 65K now, full service history, gonna check the fluid levels now and see what thats like, may have a leak, or maybe loose belt?

OakleighParkScoobie 01 February 2007 10:41 AM

Well i checked fluid level and was no problems there, had a look at the belt and instead of one belt i have one which has split into 3 so i will be changing that along with my air con belt and see if that solves the problem

Shark Man 01 February 2007 10:51 AM

I wish I saw this thread sooner so you could get a decent answer. The sound of a slipping belt would be probably just that....seeing that the pump is ran by a belt. Oh well, you've done it now :)

Belt driven pump making slipping belt type noises, case closed, Sherlock. :lol1:

PS belt is tensioned by long threaded adjuster bolt on the alternator.

OakleighParkScoobie 01 February 2007 11:05 AM

Thanks shark man, lol with my powers of deduction maybe i could be sherlock eh lol, i'll crack on with solving all the other problems on here now lol

34srm 01 February 2007 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Shark Man (Post 6613666)
I wish I saw this thread sooner so you could get a decent answer. The sound of a slipping belt would be probably just that....seeing that the pump is ran by a belt. Oh well, you've done it now :)

Belt driven pump making slipping belt type noises, case closed, Sherlock. :lol1:

PS belt is tensioned by long threaded adjuster bolt on the alternator.

cock