ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   VISTA upgrade or (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/578991-vista-upgrade-or.html)

trev260764 30 January 2007 05:45 PM

VISTA upgrade or full?

Hi guys!

I have 2 PC's with dodgy versions of XP Pro installed. I think it's time to have genuine Windows and reckon I should opt for Vista. Do I need to buy an upgrade version:

ebuyer.com - Software » Retail Boxed Software » Operating Systems » Product details

or the full version:

ebuyer.com - Software » Retail Boxed Software » Operating Systems » Product details

And do I have to buy two, or can I use the same disc in both PC's and receive updates OK on both?

Cheers...

Iain Young 30 January 2007 06:49 PM

You probably need the full version, and I'm pretty sure you will need two copies. From what I've read, it seems that the license is tied to the motherboard serial number...

kernel 30 January 2007 06:54 PM

What's the deal with OEM versions as Home Premium comes in at around the 75 quid mark. Do people force you to buy hardware at the same time? Perhaps that's why Scan are including a USB hub/mouse pad thing with their offers.?

lightning101 30 January 2007 06:55 PM

You need 2 seperate licences, best bet is if they are just for two standalone pc's then get home premium edition, as ultimate/business etc have nothing useful for the home user.

£66 inc vat each from e-buyer for the OEM versions :thumb:

No hardware is reqired at purchase, as I just bought 8 copies

kernel 30 January 2007 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by lightning101 (Post 6608351)
No hardware is reqired at purchase, as I just bought 8 copies

So what benefit do you get by buying the full product?

lightning101 30 January 2007 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by kernel (Post 6608365)
So what benefit do you get by buying the full product?

You can change machine and re-register the product, yo get a nice big box and a manual. OEM comes in a white card box with a clear DVD box and a quick guide to getting installed :)

OEM is for selling with a machine only and can't be re-sold

messiah 30 January 2007 07:03 PM

From what I gather if you want to upgrade you need to put in the serial numbers for your legit XP as part of the process - so if you're running the Merseyside edition of XP you'll have wasted your money buying the upgrade version.

Iain - is that correct? I read that whatever version you buy you get a 2 DVD's 1 for 32bit and one for 64bit - I was planning on using the 32bit on my current laptop and running the 64bit on a new server I was planning to build.

PeterUK300 30 January 2007 07:07 PM

Can confirm you get both DVD's 32 bit & 64 Bit with Retail

System Builders OEM I believe you will only get one or other

lightning101 30 January 2007 07:14 PM

OEM comes as a DVD with 32 bit only or 64 bit only, not both :)

AndyMoody 30 January 2007 07:22 PM

Take a look here:

Overclockers UK Forums - Windows & Other Software

Masses of info about Vista, you don't need to enter XP serial number from what I've read, however needs to be a valid install and activated so they say. Doubt your dodgy XP will allow an upgrade. You'll definately need 1 copy per PC. Vista has security built in that starts to shut down certain things if you don't activate it after 30 days. If you have it on one PC you won't be able to use the same serial number again.

lightning101 30 January 2007 07:47 PM

Here's what you get in the OEM pack, as you can see it reads "32 bit only":

http://www.petriepc.com/vista32.jpg

messiah 30 January 2007 08:46 PM

how do you find it so far then lightning?

lightning101 30 January 2007 08:54 PM

Very smooth, but I am spoilt for power as a computer reseller.

The only slow down you need to watch for is the searchindexer system which updates itself everytime you add new files. So when I put 110gb of photos back on, it went nuts, but in actuality was using a meagre 32% of one core of the CPU.

It cleverly sorts your picture and music folders into the new format when you restore a backup as well.

You get alot more safety prompts with things like "are you sure you know this file is safe to install" etc.

Graphically it's masterpiece and nicer than my mac ATM.

I've nothing directx10 to test the thing properly as yet, but even using DX9, everything is spot on so far.

The 3D tabbed windows are a boon if you do multi application documents and web design, as they are LIVE pages and move in 3D rendered DX windows :thumb:

messiah 30 January 2007 08:57 PM

Cheers - its the home premium I've been looking at myself - did you not fancy the Ultimate edition?

just noticed I'm on your screenshot!! :D

lightning101 30 January 2007 09:24 PM

Ultimate has nothing I need TBH that you can't add for free anyway :)

messiah 30 January 2007 09:32 PM

I thought that - it looks to have a lot of extra backup stuff, but Premium has all the media centre features doesnt it?

lightning101 30 January 2007 09:41 PM

Help protect against hardware failure with advanced business backup features

Business networking and Remote Desktop for easier connectivity

Better protect your data against loss or theft with Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption

The only differences

Blackscooby 30 January 2007 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by lightning101 (Post 6608865)
:thumb:

WOW I'm impressed, as an XP and Tiger user I like the Tiger interface, but in two minds about Vista. As soon as Leopard is launched that's a definite....

Might keep my cash and save for OS X 10.5. Although I do fancy Vista :)

Iain Young 30 January 2007 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by messiah (Post 6608382)
Iain - is that correct? I read that whatever version you buy you get a 2 DVD's 1 for 32bit and one for 64bit - I was planning on using the 32bit on my current laptop and running the 64bit on a new server I was planning to build.

From what I've heard, when you buy the retail version, you get the 32bit dvd in the box, and you have to ring Microsoft to get a 64bit dvd (that's what they're saying on the overclockers forums anyway). There is one key to cover both, so if you want to install 32bit on one and 64nit on the other, you'll still need to buy 2 copies.

I've got the oem 64bit version of Ultimate arriving tomorrow to have a play with :)

messiah 30 January 2007 10:14 PM

so a net connection to activate it is a necessity then?

although, being able to get them for £54 each isnt worth complaining about really.

Neanderthal 30 January 2007 11:03 PM

I'm sure you'll be able to activate by phoning as per XP. Bit of a ball ache though.

AndyMoody 30 January 2007 11:08 PM

64bit is £7 or £8 quid extra purchase on top of 32 bit via M$ if you get retail from Overclockers forum info.

Daz34 31 January 2007 12:52 AM

http://www.joyoftech.com/joyoftech/joyimages/915.gif

Bravo2zero_sps 31 January 2007 08:54 AM

So with the oem version you can only install it on one machine. If you need to wipe the machine and rebuild I take it you can just re-register it again as it will be the same motherboard serial number etc? Thinking of getting it and dula booting with XP to see what its like and then once used to it wipe the machine and have just Vista. Does it dual boot ok with XP Pro?

PeterUK300 31 January 2007 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Iain Young (Post 6609176)
From what I've heard, when you buy the retail version, you get the 32bit dvd in the box, and you have to ring Microsoft to get a 64bit dvd (that's what they're saying on the overclockers forums anyway). There is one key to cover both, so if you want to install 32bit on one and 64nit on the other, you'll still need to buy 2 copies.

I've got the oem 64bit version of Ultimate arriving tomorrow to have a play with :)

Nope they are BOTH DVD's in the box, have them sitting in front of me

(ultimate upgrade)

IF you want CD versions then you have to pay a small charge (As per info on box)

Bravo2zero_sps 31 January 2007 10:29 AM

Also why does it say system builders only? Can anyone just buy this and still register it fine?

boxst 31 January 2007 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by ************** (Post 6610318)
Also why does it say system builders only? Can anyone just buy this and still register it fine?

Because you can't upgrade an existing instance and it only allows you to register it once (to a particular hardware configuration). Although having said that, I have had previous OEM versions and swapped out motherboards, graphics cards etc.. and re-registered it.

Steve

Iain Young 31 January 2007 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by PeterUK300 (Post 6610132)
Nope they are BOTH DVD's in the box, have them sitting in front of me

Interesting. Where did you get yours from? On the overclockers forums there is a long thread with people complaining that the retail version only has the 32bit version and you have to send for the 64bit version seperately.

I've got (currently installing) the 64bit oem version, so I've not seen it myself...

Wurzel 31 January 2007 10:42 AM

Interesting as I have one DVD iso image and can install either 32 or 64bit from it, I installed 32 bit on my laptop and 64bit on my desktop from the same DVD. As for licencing it is down to the licence key you type in as to which version of vista you get, when I installed mine it gave me a selection box of which version I wanted to install without a licence key to use for 30 days. However if you have a valid licence key at the time of install thehlicence key itself is used to select the correct version. As for installing it on multiple machines, get and MSDN account and you can get a key for 10 machines. MSDN Home Page

RMA26 31 January 2007 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by lightning101 (Post 6608865)
Very smooth, but I am spoilt for power as a computer reseller.

The only slow down you need to watch for is the searchindexer system which updates itself everytime you add new files. So when I put 110gb of photos back on, it went nuts, but in actuality was using a meagre 32% of one core of the CPU.

It cleverly sorts your picture and music folders into the new format when you restore a backup as well.

You get alot more safety prompts with things like "are you sure you know this file is safe to install" etc.

I've nothing directx10 to test the thing properly as yet, but even using DX9, everything is spot on so far.

The 3D tabbed windows are a boon if you do multi application documents and web design, as they are LIVE pages and move in 3D rendered DX windows :thumb:

Its also weird when you hang your mouse curser over a closed window (like media player) and you can view the video playing without maximising the window too!