ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Bugs / Feature Requests Archive (https://www.scoobynet.com/bugs-feature-requests-archive-429/)
-   -   Mac specific issues with new layout (https://www.scoobynet.com/bugs-feature-requests-archive-429/578453-mac-specific-issues-with-new-layout.html)

Markus 29 January 2007 12:23 AM

Mac specific issues with new layout

Thought I'd start a thread for any mac specific issues with the new layout, as although we are a small percentage of the population, we can be quite vocal :D

First up: The dark grey bar containing the sub-options for the selected option from the light grey bar does not stretch across the full screen width in Safari. This applies to the whole style, not just the forum.

Looking at the html I see the following section:

Code:

<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" >
                <tr height="25">
                        <td>&nbsp;</td>
                </tr>
                <tr height="25">
                        <td bgcolor="#444444">&nbsp;</td>
                </tr>
        </table>

The part causing the problem for safari is the second of the < tr height=
25" > table commands.

If I change that to 50, it does then display correctly in Safari but that then screws up in Firefox and probably PC browsers too.

It is obviously something specific to Safari. I'm going to have a play around with a saved copy of the html and see if I can find a workaround. If not then we'll just have to live with it. It's not a massive problem to be honest.

If anyone else has any other Mac specific issues, post them here :)

SwissTony 29 January 2007 12:26 AM

yes i do.
simon told me to get a proper computer !!! the cheek of the man

corradoboy 29 January 2007 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by SwissTony (Post 6601176)
yes i do.
simon told me to get a proper computer !!! the cheek of the man

By proper, does he mean one that constantly crashes, breaks down, requires constant updates of drivers for every tiny part, is awkward to use, ugly to look at, difficult to work on and as boring as it is predictable ? Or does he mean a stylish, efficient, reliable, attractive, fast and easy to use Mac :lol1:

ex-webby 29 January 2007 12:46 AM

oh god.. I think we all know where this is heading!! :D

Markus. Thanks for looking into it. Let me know if you find a fix.

At the absolute worst case, we'll make a compeletely different header for mac users. But obviously a more straight forward fix would be better :D

kingofturds 29 January 2007 12:48 AM

All mac related bugs can be ironed out by this hardware fix

http://mfinley.com/gif/sledgehammer.jpg

Followed by this upgrade

http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/...resized200.jpg

SwissTony 29 January 2007 12:50 AM

:lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

what a tool :eek:

(you are)

miss, miss he posted a picture of a DELL...please put him in the corner with the spethial needs people .

you might have got away with it if you have posted a pic of any other pc other than a dell....:lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

kingofturds 29 January 2007 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by SwissTony (Post 6601222)

(you are)

miss, miss he posted a picture of a DELL...please put him in the corner with the spethial needs people .

you might have got away with it if you have posted a pic of any other pc other than a dell....:lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

you snitch:razz: baggings for you after school:D

corradoboy 29 January 2007 12:53 AM

What about a Gateway, the PC answer to the ever so stylish iMac...

http://www.engadget.com/media/2006/0..._profile_6.jpg

:eek: I may be sick :nono:

kingofturds 29 January 2007 12:54 AM

(you are)

Oh the irony:lol1: I hope thats alcohol induced rather than your lack of "special needs " schooling shining through:p

SwissTony 29 January 2007 12:54 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

have you been in KOT's living room for that picture ????

SwissTony 29 January 2007 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by kingofturds (Post 6601228)
Oh the irony:lol1: I hope thats alcohol induced rather than your lack of "special needs " schooling shining through:p

yeah of course..i always replace a "c" with a "th" :iamwithst

kingofturds 29 January 2007 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by corradoboy (Post 6601226)
What about a Gateway, the PC answer to the ever so stylish iMac...

http://www.engadget.com/media/2006/0..._profile_6.jpg

:eek: I may be sick :nono:

Sweet mother of jesus:eek: thats about as stylish as swisstonys wardrobe:D

(sorry swiss no one comes in fight club anymore)

kingofturds 29 January 2007 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by SwissTony (Post 6601233)
yeah of course..i always replace a "c" with a "th" :iamwithst

Seems your shift key is up the khaiser as well, doesnt happen with quality pc keyboards:razz: :D

corradoboy 29 January 2007 12:59 AM

I know which I prefer...

http://img.clubic.com/photo/000000C800148209.jpg

SwissTony 29 January 2007 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by kingofturds (Post 6601238)
Seems your shift key is up the khaiser as well, doesnt happen with quality pc keyboards:razz: :D

yeah, £4.99 really buys you quality :lol1: :lol1:

aww diddums, are you lonely in fight club ??

well :hjtwofing you
:D

Markus 29 January 2007 01:31 AM

My web design skills are a tad rusty :D I think the actual problem is more to do with the way Safari renders pages compared to other browsers, as I've seen behaviour like this before and ground my teeth over it as I've not found an easy way to fix it to make it browser or platform independant without a fair bit of recoding.

The only quick fix I could think of (but have not tried yet, might do it tomorrow) involves having Javascript browser detection code to see if the browser if safari and if so, change the second the second of the < tr height= "25" > table commands to the second of the < tr height="50" >

It does of course lack elegance. The only other thing I can think of is to possibly change the css for the second grey menu so that tables are not being used to position it. If I get a spare moment tomorrow I might play around with some CSS and see if I can work out if that is possible and how much work is involved in doing it. From the look of things the code for that section is the same across all pages, thus a search and replace could be used to change it, so it might not be a massive change, then again, it could be.

I'll report back when I can.

SwissTony 29 January 2007 09:59 AM

You know what markus....I can live with it, it is so minor, but as we were all in the spirit of bug testing last night, I thought I would bring it up :)

Definately is a safari issue more than a mozilla one.

but hey..as we are a paltry 0.2% then i guess it dosent matter that much :lol1:

flat4 29 January 2007 01:19 PM

Simon told me it had risen to 1% over christmas, Macs sales are on the up :D or it could be me getting my powerbook fixed :lol1:

i'd like to see the header thing fixed, small things like that annoy the hell out of me :D

another bug (i've already mentioned it to Simon) but im not sure if it safari related or not, is that it loads to the right hand side of the page until fully loaded, then centres into the middle, looks a bit crap :p

Markus 29 January 2007 02:45 PM

You're quite correct about the load issue to, just noticed it myself. I'm guessing it's something to do with how/when the actual "meat" of the forum is loaded.

It would be nice to see the header fixed, it's a niggle more than a show stopper.

SwissTony 29 January 2007 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by flat4 (Post 6602561)
Simon told me it had risen to 1% over christmas, Macs sales are on the up :D or it could be me getting my powerbook fixed :lol1:

i'd like to see the header thing fixed, small things like that annoy the hell out of me :D

another bug (i've already mentioned it to Simon) but im not sure if it safari related or not, is that it loads to the right hand side of the page until fully loaded, then centres into the middle, looks a bit crap :p

someone else mentioned that last night with a screenshot in the general sticky. it didnt get a response from simon, but yes i noticed it on my two macs, though not so bad on a pc running ie7. it definately is linked with loading as it is more pronounced on slower computers . one time i could read nearly the whole left column and all the posts, before it had shifted left again :D

Markus 31 January 2007 07:09 PM

Ticker problem fixed (I think!)

I *think* I might have come up with a simple fix for the grey "ticker" banner. Makes sense now we have the ticker as to what that section was to be used for.

Anyway, onto how I think I've fixed it.

The problem code block is as follows with the problematic line in red:

Code:

<tr height="25">
                        <td>&nbsp;</td>
                </tr>
                <tr height="25">
                        <td bgcolor="#444444" >&nbsp;</td>
                </tr>
        </table>

The alleged fixed code block is as follows, with the correction in red:

Code:

<tr height="25">
                        <td>&nbsp;</td>
                </tr>
                <tr>
                        <td bgcolor="#444444" height="25">&nbsp;</td>

</tr>
        </table>

The change is to move the height declaration from the TR tag into the TD tag.

I've tested in in Safari 2.0.4 (419.3) and Firefox 2.0.0.1 on Mac OS X 10.4.8. I've also given it a quick test in IE7 and Firefox 1.5 and 2.0.0.1 on Windows XP SP2.

If anyone wants to test the file then have a look here and see if it works for you. It might not as that's a page on my local site, but it does seem to load everything correctly as the html page contains full references to the various files.

flat4 31 January 2007 08:31 PM

working on mac here, good job :thumb:

Markus 31 January 2007 09:07 PM

Good to know it's working for someone else :)

ex-webby 31 January 2007 09:20 PM

will give it a try.. stand by

ex-webby 31 January 2007 09:21 PM

ok..

good news is : it still works ok in IE and FF.

So.. is that any better?

ex-webby 31 January 2007 09:28 PM

ROFL..

WELL DONE MARKUS!! :D

You've finally been of some use!!!! ;)

My word, I think the chap's fixed the blighter!

SwissTony 31 January 2007 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 6612397)
ROFL..

bet when you woke up this morning, you never guessed you would be saying that :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

Markus 31 January 2007 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 6612397)
ROFL..

Glad to be of service. See, us Mac users do have our uses :D

flat4 31 January 2007 09:46 PM

imagine how crap this site would look & run without us us ;):D

SwissTony 31 January 2007 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by flat4 (Post 6612488)
imagine how crap this site would look & run without us us ;):D

but we are only 0.2%, what difference can we make ? :D