ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Who here loves lotus cars? (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/578221-who-here-loves-lotus-cars.html)

AudiLover 28 January 2007 01:12 PM

Who here loves lotus cars?

I think they are great. The elise are so sexy and nimble. I think they could do with a little more power though. Any elise/exige or esprit owners on here? :wonder:

Lotus :notworthy

bootsy 28 January 2007 01:31 PM

yes mate i think my next toy will be a elise.but i like most lotus's but my god have'nt they made some crap

SlimJ_2005 28 January 2007 01:41 PM

Yeah, love them, specially the Exige! Wouldn't mind owning an Exige 240R, nice and quick and look like a ton of fun.

octain 28 January 2007 02:00 PM

Yep you can't beat a fast metro:lol1:

Petem95 28 January 2007 02:06 PM

Massive fan of Lotus - probably one of the most British car firms left (despite being Proton owned)

The Elise is a fantastic little sportscar - I've been around Europe twice in a mates on and had a great time - and it copes with the long distances surprisingly well!

The new Europa is very poor however - it was actually to be a Proton, however Proton pulled the project, but Lotus decided to finish the development and call it a Lotus instead. Bad move IMO.

AudiLover 28 January 2007 02:21 PM

VAG owns Lotus now:D

Imagine a 2.0T FSI engined elise running 300hp!
Or the 1.4 Twin Charger engine!!!!!!!!1

Tuning possibilities will be massive with VAG engines!!!!!!

eldudereno 28 January 2007 02:25 PM

Change the record Audilover, you're so bl**dy predictable. :sleep:

AudiLover 28 January 2007 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by eldudereno (Post 6598964)
Change the record Audilover, you're so bl**dy predictable. :sleep:

I dont understand:confused:

collierm 28 January 2007 03:34 PM

Big fan of Lotus, but not the Elise, not my cup of tea.

The girlfriend has decided next year we are buying a V8 Esprit if we can find the one the right colour and spec. She loves the look of them, and I love the engine.

http://www.v-land.com/photos/data/me..._Esprit_V8.jpg

Can't wait.

Cheers

Matt

SKYMAN 28 January 2007 03:46 PM

You bet. Starlight black Exige S owner here. Absolute hoot.

astraboy 28 January 2007 04:14 PM

My personal favourite, the Lotus Carlton.
http://autoforum.volgograd.ru/up_fot...9986_1_721.jpg
And what i would do if i ever got my hands on one:
http://turbocrime.co.uk/forum/pafile...tuscarlton.jpg
Wonderful cars.
astraboy.

JonMc 28 January 2007 04:20 PM

I love the Esprit V8 twin turbo...

Like the lotus carlton but last time I saw one it was parked next to my old cavalier, and with the same door handles, wiper and indicator stalks etc it is still a vauxhall. Still, they're 'kin rapid family-mobiles.

Proby521 28 January 2007 06:43 PM

Ex Elise owner here. Only sold it to fund the house deposit. Vowed to buy another in the near future, with a knackered/blown engine, so I can do my own transplant. :-) THE second best handlin car Ive owned, only second to a Westfield. Love em Love em.

Proby

olliecampbell 28 January 2007 06:59 PM

Would love an Exige, bright orange, black wheels!

Mangel 28 January 2007 07:12 PM

I have an Esprit Turbo!! which is cool but needs a lot of work to get it back on the road!!!

SimonGawthorpe 28 January 2007 07:32 PM

My Elise

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d75/Simon813/A.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d75/Simon813/1-2.jpg

Si :)

Brun 28 January 2007 09:33 PM

Have wanted an Elise for ages.
Never been out in one yet - can't wait :)

wall 29 January 2007 09:37 AM

Former Elise 111S owner.

Dreamed of it for years, then finally used up big chunk of savings to make dream come true ... sold it 12 month later.

Disappointed. For me brilliant 10% of the time, painful 90%; perfect as a 3rd car (family car + "all conditions" sports car + Elise), but otherwise for me too limited.

On the right road (twisty, dry, smooth, not too high speed), the right day (sunny, not too hot or cold), and the right drive (not too long distance, little luggage, little traffic), it was absolute motoring bliss, and I still miss it very much. But at all other times (90% for me) it was just cramped, cold/hot, uncomfortable, under-powered, skittish, floaty (at high speed or in the wet), blown away by lorries, etc etc etc.

So by all means go for it if it's a 3rd car, think about it as 2nd car, forget about it (IMO) as 1st car.

Nat 29 January 2007 09:47 AM

I do :)

Carlton is one of my favourite cars ever and i've always liked the Esprit, would love an S4 or Sport 350 :cool:

Elise/Exige is nice but i've never really lusted after one.

AL - when did VAG buy Lotus? I've seen a few bits on the web just now but they're from 2005. Did they buy them from Proton or buy Proton inc of Lotus? Got a link to story? Ta.

scoobynutta555 29 January 2007 11:16 AM

Well I had the pleasure of owing a T reg S1 Lotus Elise. Fantastic little car. Used every single day I had it, mainly a 15 mile each way motorway commute. Great on long distances (actually travelled 200 miles to pick it up). It's a very comfortable car as the driving position is so relaxed (had the air bolster and leather seats). The only uncomfortable thing about it was getting in and out, and once you've mastered that it's no problem. Late 40's mpg is possible on the Mway and combined was something like 40 mpg, all acheived on poverty spec fuel.

Fantastic looking cars and I would definitely get another, maybe next time a 111 S1 for some extra grunt. I had mine several months and spent nothing on it apart from petrol (can't even remember checking any fluids ;) ) and made a profit of 500 quid after driving it for 5k.

The Elise is a totally different car to an Impreza, so responsive and just feels 'special' to drive.

stevem2k 29 January 2007 11:28 AM

My boss was at the world record gathering of Lotus' at brands hatch at the weekend....

He was in his 340R

Steve

Matteeboy 29 January 2007 11:29 AM

I tested an Elise 111R with a Lotus test driver and had mixed feelings.

Sure it felt more connected than any car I've driven (although the late shape MR2 was on a par), the steering was razor sharp and the brakes were spot on but the following things cheapened the experience:

You had to REALLY thrash the nuts off the car to go quickly - It really didn't feel like a sub 5 second to 60 car.

The engine sounded very harsh - Soundtrack more akin to a chavved up Nova than a £30k car.

The interior was flimsy to the point of silliness - All the plastics just bent as you touched them.

It has the same engine as the dire Corolla Sport T thingy.

Lotus haven't made a really desirable car since the Esprit V8 but I'd love to be able to drive an Elise every now and again rather than own one.

scoobynutta555 29 January 2007 11:35 AM

Why buy a 30k one when you can buy an S1 with a Honda typeR engine and box for 16k. 0-60 in 4 seconds and 0-100 in 9.

trails 29 January 2007 12:02 PM

always liked the look of the things and then last year got taken on a corporate day to Hethal and got to drive and get driven (by one of the lotus drivers-OMFG!!!), in a new 111s...didn't seem super fast but the handling, steering, feedback is just out of this world.

will probably end up buying one now :D

lozgti 29 January 2007 12:07 PM

Big fan of the Elise.

Just annoying that every single second hand one sits around the £10k mark,regardless of age/mileage

Daz34 29 January 2007 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by AudiLover (Post 6598949)
VAG owns Lotus now:D

Imagine a 2.0T FSI engined elise running 300hp!
Or the 1.4 Twin Charger engine!!!!!!!!1

Tuning possibilities will be massive with VAG engines!!!!!!

Yeah couldn't see that coming https://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/s...smiley-015.gif

There have been VAG engine conversions about for Elises/Exiges for ages

scoobynutta555 29 January 2007 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by lozgti (Post 6602236)
Big fan of the Elise.

Just annoying that every single second hand one sits around the £10k mark,regardless of age/mileage

Untrue ;)

Bought a minter a year ago for 8.5k, the updated S1 version (post 99). The cheapest I've seen the earlier 97-98's go for is around 6.5k.

Even the advertised prices on Elises are much less than 10k.

Shark Man 29 January 2007 12:35 PM

Being honest, I don't care much for modern lotii. Wrong engines for the wrong car and although quick and agile, seem to be missing that certain something which I can never pinpoint.

Still, a million miles better than any other modern car in terms of sensation, feedback and good old manual steering racks. :)

I personally hanker for an decent Elan+2 130 or FHC sprint. Fun, throwable charming interior and the wonderful sountrack of a pair of webbers on full chat, plus the ride doesn't chip your teeth :)

Jap2Scrap 29 January 2007 01:41 PM

Lotus (until the Elise) never made a good car but they made some bloody great ones.

jonc 29 January 2007 01:50 PM

Typical of VAG, can't build a decent sports car, so buys a manufacturer who can.