ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Is xbox 360 chippable yet? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/576014-is-xbox-360-chippable-yet.html)

Sonic' 20 January 2007 10:07 PM

Is xbox 360 chippable yet?

Are there any modchips out for the xbox 360 yet?

If I get a core one, can I just plug my old hard drive in from my chipped xbox ? formatted for 360 of course

or do we have to just stick with standard config etc at the moment

I have an Xbox chipped with Executor, and use it play all my divx's on

can this be done wth a 360 at the moment ?

BuRR 20 January 2007 11:09 PM

AFAIK only the firmware on the DVDROM has been compromised, and all backups have to be run from dual-layer DVDR.

Sonic' 20 January 2007 11:48 PM

Cheers mate :thumb:

DaveL001 21 January 2007 10:57 AM

i have just returned from working in china, and they have cracked the xbox 360, and able to play copied games. but dont ask me how, i sat in one place and watched a guy chip a ps2 in 10mins, imagine that sort of stuff happening in your local shopping centre!!!!!
the place was amazing

DJ Dunk 21 January 2007 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by DaveL001 (Post 6571734)
i have just returned from working in china, and they have cracked the xbox 360, and able to play copied games. but dont ask me how, i sat in one place and watched a guy chip a ps2 in 10mins, imagine that sort of stuff happening in your local shopping centre!!!!!
the place was amazing

As mentioned above, dumb people have been playing illegal copies on the 360 for some time using hacked firmware.

Its not amazing, its illegal.

DaveL001 21 January 2007 01:28 PM

dunno if that was a dig at me, but i dont have a 360.
i was just saying wat was happening when i was there!!!!

DJ Dunk 21 January 2007 01:53 PM

Not a dig, just the truth.

gatecrasher3 21 January 2007 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk (Post 6572064)
As mentioned above, dumb people have been playing illegal copies on the 360 for some time using hacked firmware.

Dumb people? :wonder:

Sonic' 21 January 2007 03:41 PM

I dont have one either :p

The only reason I am interested in getting one, is if I can do what I do with my current xbox, otherwise there is no point for me

I didnt get my xbox to play games on it, i purely wanted it to put a bigger hard drive in it, so I can watch movies on it etc etc

I have only one game on the xbox and that is RB Rally, and its an original :D

boxst 21 January 2007 03:45 PM

Hello

Yes, you can chip the 360, although it isn't really chipping just overiding the firmware for the DVD drive so that it doesn't know the game is a copy.

As far as I know (and I'm happy to be corrected) there is no equivalent of XBMC on the 360. More some PC software that helps with streaming DivX movies (which seems to work randomly).

Steve

BuRR 21 January 2007 05:12 PM

I have a chipped Xbox, but the only reason I have it is for XBMC.

Now, I don't agree with Microsoft's apparent policy with the Xbox - have you noticed how everything seemed to disappear off the shelves overnight? What if someone needs to buy a new pad? Therefore, I appreciate my Xbox will have a limited shelf life, as very soon I'll only be able to buy second hand units.

Therefore I need to consider a 360 and its modification possibilities.

I'd be interested in an XBMC replacement for the 360. I run macs here, so the crappy integration with a media centre powered PC is out of the question for me.

Sonic' 21 January 2007 05:33 PM

I can only find ebay selling xbox stuff now, not seen anything in the shops for qiute a while now, bit disappointing to all the existing user base

I only use XBMC, and am waiting for a 360 version or equivalent :D

Iain Young 21 January 2007 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by BuRR (Post 6572615)
Now, I don't agree with Microsoft's apparent policy with the Xbox - have you noticed how everything seemed to disappear off the shelves overnight?

What apparent policy? The old xbox stuff is still readily available, (MS sold thousands of new xbox 1 machines over xmas), and they will be available for some time to come. The local Hmv and Game stores in Swindon and Newbury had plenty over xmas...

NickAdams 21 January 2007 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Sonic' (Post 6572690)
I can only find ebay selling xbox stuff now, not seen anything in the shops for qiute a while now, bit disappointing to all the existing user base

I only use XBMC, and am waiting for a 360 version or equivalent :D

I thought Argos were selling them with 4 games for £50 too

Nick

Sonic' 21 January 2007 09:55 PM

they were but that was an xmas only deal that has since finished

I already have an xbox so dont need to buy another :)

Its the accessories that I can only find on ebay thesedays

Bravo2zero_sps 21 January 2007 10:33 PM

Game still sell Xbox stuff and their website has just about every accessory made for the xbox.

http://www.game.co.uk/browse.aspx?cat=10208

BuRR 21 January 2007 11:09 PM

There's next to nothing on the store shelves here in Wakefield. Loads of old Xbox games were sold off for £2-£5 just before Xmas.

I appreciate that you can still get stuff online, but I can't find any decent stuff in stores. Nothing in Toys R Us, Currys, blah blah....

also, no Argos in the area have any Xbox consoles in stock. The £50 deal with the games caused almost everything to sell out in that chain.

Stueyb 22 January 2007 04:05 PM

Also you will find that blockbuster no longer carry any Xbox games, but as many people have done, im using it as a XMBC to watch all my mpgs, divx etc and DVD player really. It excels at that purpose.

Iain Young 22 January 2007 04:08 PM

I suspect the apparent scarcity of old xbox stuff in some places is more down to the shops themselves rather than Microsoft. If people aren't buying enough old xbox stuff, then the shops won't stock it...

spectrum48k 22 January 2007 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk (Post 6572064)

Give him a break Dunc, he's only asking. :eek:

DJ Dunk 22 January 2007 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by spectrum48k (Post 6576734)
Give him a break Dunc, he's only asking. :eek:

It wasn't aimed at him :D Its aimed at dumb people everywhere, aka software theives. Some people seem to have a guilty conscience ;)

The firmware hack has a sole purpose of playing illegal pirated software, whereas a modchip is designed to run homebrew code. Some people cannot distinguish the difference.

gatecrasher3 22 January 2007 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk (Post 6576784)
It wasn't aimed at him :D Its aimed at dumb people everywhere, aka software theives. Some people seem to have a guilty conscience ;)

The firmware hack has a sole purpose of playing illegal pirated software, whereas a modchip is designed to run homebrew code. Some people cannot distinguish the difference.

I bet the type of people that change the firmware or whatever they do don't give a sh!t :brickwall