ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   HELP! My eMac is squealing!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/575962-help-my-emac-is-squealing.html)

pele 20 January 2007 07:26 PM

HELP! My eMac is squealing!!

As above, can anybody help, it started at 5am this morning and I've just got home and it's still going strong despite totally disconnecting from power supply all day.

Please help before I throw it out the window!!!

Markus 20 January 2007 07:53 PM

Are you saying it's still making the noise when there is no power going to the machine, or that you have unplugged it, left it, then plugged it back in and it' making the noise?

My guess is that the noise is coming from the fan, so it might just be getting old and being noisy.

pele 20 January 2007 08:04 PM

It is still making the noise with no power at all - it's a shrill high pitched squeal

mart360 20 January 2007 10:01 PM

Its all the little bytes being tortured :(

you need to set them free.... open the lid and let them out....

remove the battery... (lappy i take it) something is getting power from somewhere...

if nothing is running, then it may be a capacitor, there the only things other than the battery that store a residual charge..

Mart

rich101 20 January 2007 11:15 PM

Capacitors more like ! ! ! ! eMac is prone to issues on the mainboard with leaky /dodgy capacitors ask a friendly TV repair man to take a look.

Rich

pele 21 January 2007 12:41 PM

It's not a laptop, it's the mac with everything built into the screen, no seperate tower. I'll have to take it apart to take the battery out, any idea where it's located and how to get to it?

kilo_4que 21 January 2007 12:44 PM

O the nightmares with these. They have all the weirdest problems in the world. At work i used two. One of them the screen would flicker when playing sound even at low volumes and the other would make ratteling noises. If i was you id throw it out of the window

pele 21 January 2007 12:46 PM

I'd love to but don't have funds to replace it with anything unfortunately...

SwissTony 21 January 2007 07:36 PM

pele

sorry, I cant help any further.it looks very much like an apple repair centre needs to look at it.
if it is making this noise when all is unplugged, then it is a residual issue and not one that could be diagnosed without a trained technician.

sorry :(

pele 22 January 2007 02:26 PM

It's ok I fixed it....

After going onto the mac helpsite to locate the battery I followed the instructions for taking the battery out, and did this. Still squealing. Then realised the squealing was not coming from the Mac after all, seemed to be coming from the bt modem, so put Mac back together and proceeded to take the modem apart ;) Put it all back together, and still squealing.... Now I was getting a bit confused, there was nothing else that could be making this noise, but just in case I decided to have a thorough look around the desk. I found the culprit responsible for two days of incessant squealing - a digital tyre pressure guage lol I'd got it out the car to change the batteries and it must have been moved and got jammed under something which was pressing on the button, now how silly do I feel??!!

Thanks for all your help guys :D

RichB 22 January 2007 03:01 PM

:D :D You wally!

SwissTony 22 January 2007 03:03 PM

pele

can i just say on behalf of all the helpful IT people here, who have been racking their brains for a solution.

YOU COMPLETE NUMPTY !!!!!!!!

:cuckoo: :cuckoo: :cuckoo: :D