ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wales (https://www.scoobynet.com/wales-26/)
-   -   not to sound like a car hypochondriac but... (https://www.scoobynet.com/wales-26/575636-not-to-sound-like-a-car-hypochondriac-but.html)

SW Sport Pilot 19 January 2007 05:39 PM

not to sound like a car hypochondriac but...

Hey guys

I need help, are there any known faults or weaknesses with regards to first gear on the Classic Turbo 2000's?

Ive just used my car to get back from work and my first gear has become intermittantly difficult to engage. it was fine this morning but this afternoon the gearbox has been very random, the first ranges from smooth engage to almost snapping the gearstick in half to force it into place. The other gears are working perfectly. ive checked with ace but andy wasnt there, his apprentice seems to remember someone saying this was a common fault

just wondering what you guys thought

Cheers

Ian

turboDean 19 January 2007 06:14 PM

I sometimes find getting into 1st a little stiff, but think that is due to my short shifter.

Silver Scooby Sport 19 January 2007 06:48 PM

When parked on the drive I sometimes can't get in reverse, I end up dropping it in first letting it bite then back into reverse and away.

Try dropping yours in reverse let it bite then see if it drops in first.

SW Sport Pilot 19 January 2007 06:56 PM

Mine also has that reverse niggle mate and tried it, no such luck im afraid, what worries me as it as seemed to appear while parked up in work, definately fine last few days now all of a sudden intermittant problems

Russ71 19 January 2007 07:00 PM

Ooh that sounds familiar, 3-4 attempts to get it into reverse on mine. :wonder:

I know my problem isnt the oil, I filled that up myself after I found another dipstick with nothing in it, but there again that could have caused a spot of damage, but it only happens first thing after it's warmed up it seems fine.

DannyBoy007 19 January 2007 07:21 PM

Yeah, had it on both my gear boxes. The old one lasted 90k and had this issue for a good 45k, it's the syncro's. Doesn't happen all the time. Normally when it's cold it's at it's worse.

Check the oil level in the gear box as it might be a little low. I've had a chat with david regarding this and it's not worth taking the box out until it's completly dead, I normally double clutch when this happens or as Si says select another gear and then try again

turboDean 19 January 2007 07:25 PM

Yeap double clutching works for me to. :thumb:
Can't recall having a problem getting reverse though.

SW Sport Pilot 19 January 2007 07:28 PM

Sounds about right danny, mine was an absolute night mare when it was cold this afternoonand this box is on 76K, hopefully it isnt an oil level as Ace had in for a service at the start of the month,

what do you mean by double clutching

do be honest i wont wait for the box to go, il get rid of the car first lol dont fancy all the expense:lol1:

KJD Mk1 19 January 2007 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by SW Sport Pilot (Post 6567263)

You would know what it was if you had to drive a few older vehicles.;)
Sometimes you have to press the clutch ,into netural clutch up,little rev, press clutch ,into grear, clutch off :) its a piece of cake:freak3: :D

DannyBoy007 19 January 2007 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by SW Sport Pilot (Post 6567263)
Sounds about right danny, mine was an absolute night mare when it was cold this afternoonand this box is on 76K, hopefully it isnt an oil level as Ace had in for a service at the start of the month,

do be honest i wont wait for the box to go, il get rid of the car first lol dont fancy all the expense:lol1:

I wouldn't worry to much about it, Mine had a very hard 45k before I blow third apart and that was only down to a big power hike and jump in torque.

A recon box from API cost me £880 fitted, Just out of interest are you on the orginal clutch???

SW Sport Pilot 19 January 2007 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by DannyBoy007 (Post 6567351)
I wouldn't worry to much about it, Mine had a very hard 45k before I blow third apart and that was only down to a big power hike and jump in torque.

A recon box from API cost me £880 fitted, Just out of interest are you on the orginal clutch???

just took it out for a quick run, sweet as a nut in last four gears but 1st just seems to have an intermittant resistance to working lol tried double clutching and not much different i must admit

I rung the subaru garage that did the work on the one owner before me and they dont have any record of the clutch being changed, would this be an option, im not mechanically minded but would this affect all the gear selections?

Cheers for your help guys

Ian

KJD Mk1 19 January 2007 08:21 PM

Ian, ring me about your gearbox i might be able to help:)