ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Tip/advice sought on connecting 2 PC's (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/575050-tip-advice-sought-on-connecting-2-pcs.html)

Diesel 17 January 2007 01:09 PM

Tip/advice sought on connecting 2 PC's

’m 4 days into this and have tried various helpful websites but am getting nowhere and need to connect my laptop to my home PC asap for work!

I can ping the laptop from my home PC which is cable connected via my Netgear Modem Router; I can also ‘see’ the home PC from the laptop via the MSHome workgroup I created, but that’s about it! I don’t know how to share files between them, even using designated ‘share’ folders. I have all firewalls off [don’t spam me!] but I can’t find the laptop on the MSHome network I created with a system disk on XP Sp2.

Any clues/pointers guys? I hoped to just nav to my MSHome work group from either computer and swop files. I’m using the LAN cable currently IP 192.168.0.3 and if I ever get this to work I’ll try the wireless way via IP 192.168.0.4 [which I also have been able to ping].

Thanks

D

hutton_d 17 January 2007 01:17 PM

Does your router use dhcp to supply IP addys to your machines? Whatever, what is the ip of the router and what is it for both machine when connected to your network? (Start > run > cmd the type 'ipconfig' into the window).

As for sharing files, right click on the folder you wish to share and choose properties > sharing. The rest is fairly self-explanatory. But you should be able to see the shared folder on the other machine then. To read/wrire files you'll need to set the permissions apprpriately (part of the aboive process).

Does this help?

Dave

Diesel 17 January 2007 01:45 PM

Dave many thanks for your help. DHCP was enabled but now I'm there!!!!!

Top man!

Thx:D

BlkKnight 17 January 2007 01:54 PM

Assuming both on XP:

In network properties - install MS File & print sharing.

In "explorer" > tools > enable simple file sharing

Right click on a folder, sharing . should be obvious.

then from run box

\\ipaddress

Diesel 17 January 2007 02:24 PM

Its rock and roll :)

What I'm doing is sending .mov's from the editing PC to be uploaded by the other one. It just crossed my mind that I am not running firewall or anti virus on the laptop [secondary PC] so, as the modem/router is connected to the net could this be harmful?

I run Norton on the 'main' PC but really dont want to clutter up the 'clean' editing PC with unecessary background processess. Any ideas?

Thanks again.

D

dowser 17 January 2007 02:40 PM

Make sure the modem/router is secure and doesn't allow inbound connections, and never connect to the internet with the editing PC. Take a full backup of all important data to be safe :)

Richard