ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wales (https://www.scoobynet.com/wales-26/)
-   -   Just bought new discs and pads (https://www.scoobynet.com/wales-26/574468-just-bought-new-discs-and-pads.html)

Trap2Terrorist 15 January 2007 01:51 PM

Just bought new discs and pads

I posted a brake question in the technical forum the other day asking for brake discs/pads buying advice.

I was recommended to contact Alyn at AS Performance (http://www.asptrading.co.uk/) so gave him a ring this afternoon. Very knowlegable bloke who was happy to discuss all the options for my requirements and budget and didn't try to sell me more than I needed.

Settled on a set of 'non-brand' 8-grooved discs for £135/pair, the manufacturer used to supply Pagid with their discs and when these discs were Pagid branded they were ~£220 - a good OE upgrade. Also went for the Pagid 'Black' 421 fast road pads at £130/pair.

I'd recommend using this guy, 1/2 price delivery (free pad delivery for Scoobynet users) so only £5.

Now to get them fitted. :D

The Trooper 1815 15 January 2007 01:54 PM

Have done a couple of sets now Rich. I even have some soft nose bolts to prise the old discs off with out resorting to hammers. Need a hand??

Trap2Terrorist 15 January 2007 04:59 PM

Thanks for the offer Ian but I phoned ACE earlier today and have booked in for 27th, reasonable price for fitting.

Not that I don't trust your capable skills but I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to brakes!! :freak3: Plus I'm also thnking of getting some Goodridge s/steel hoses fitted at the same.

I wouldn't mind a hand fitting my alloy drop links if you're available and willing? :norty:

KJD Mk1 15 January 2007 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Trap2Terrorist (Post 6551288)
I wouldn't mind a hand fitting my alloy drop links if you're available and willing? :norty:

Havent you done that yet:nono: :D

Trap2Terrorist 15 January 2007 05:10 PM

:lol1: Nope and they are cluttering up my kitchen!!! :nono:

Time to get them on me thinks...... :D

scoobynutta555 15 January 2007 05:16 PM

265 quid isn't too bad for the equipment you will receive. My replacement front discs and pads were OE and cost 60 quid from GGR IIRC. My main use is commute and I'm not that heavy on the brakes though.

SW Sport Pilot 15 January 2007 07:11 PM

ive bought brand new brakes today too, except mine are gold and off an STI and im now broke:lol1: :thumb:

Trap2Terrorist 15 January 2007 07:14 PM

The last set of discs and pads were suppied and fitted by Subaru and cost £100/pair for the discs and £100 for the set of pads, plus fitting and VAT. IIRC the total cost was about £300, so I'm pretty happy with this setup because it'll be all in and fitted for ~£330.

KJD Mk1 15 January 2007 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by SW Sport Pilot (Post 6551682)
ive bought brand new brakes today too, except mine are gold and off an STI and im now broke:lol1: :thumb:

Nice one Ian:norty:

SW Sport Pilot 15 January 2007 07:33 PM

Its all si's and deans fault, and the price i was offered for them against a full set of performance discs and pads all the way round i could hardly say No:thumb:

Ian:thumb: :thumb:

Silver Scooby Sport 16 January 2007 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by SW Sport Pilot (Post 6551779)
Its all si's and deans fault

:norty: :p

turboDean 16 January 2007 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by SW Sport Pilot (Post 6551779)
Its all si's and deans fault

Nice to spend someone else's money for a change. You won't regret it :thumb:

Russ71 16 January 2007 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by SW Sport Pilot (Post 6551682)

Now you definately wont be putting any deposit on an STI Ian :norty: :thumb:

The Trooper 1815 18 January 2007 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Trap2Terrorist (Post 6551288)
Thanks for the offer Ian but I phoned ACE earlier today and have booked in for 27th, reasonable price for fitting.

Not that I don't trust your capable skills but I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to brakes!! :freak3: Plus I'm also thnking of getting some Goodridge s/steel hoses fitted at the same.

No probs. Drop on the rear are a 2 minute job. Gis a ring over the weekend m8:thumb:

Trap2Terrorist 18 January 2007 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon (Post 6560904)
No probs. Drop on the rear are a 2 minute job. Gis a ring over the weekend m8:thumb:

Cool, will do. Thanks. :D

Trap2Terrorist 27 January 2007 04:40 PM

Thanks to ACE Motorsport

I took my car to ACE Motorsport this morning and had my new discs and pads fitted. Thanks to Reece for a job well done and good, friendly service.

He also showed me round some of the rally cars they prep and store there, (incl a '98 McRae WRC 22B :norty: ) and even washed my car and wheels for me afterwards! :notworthy

I expect I'll be back there for a new Exedy clutch sometime soon. ;)

p.s. AS Performance changed my Pagid's no problem and they were with me by return post. :thumb: