ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Subaru Impreza RA - R (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/573811-subaru-impreza-ra-r.html)

Rasher 12 January 2007 09:30 PM

Subaru Impreza RA - R

apparently 270 of the 300 have been sold at just over 18k in Japan.

RA=Race altered. What does the single R stand for??

Also the car comes minus a rear wing.Subaru say this is their best handling STI ever!! Does this mean the rear wings on allother models hinder performance......................ok probably not.

Does anyone have any ideas why Subaru have said this and what is their thinking behind that statement??

wrx_driver 12 January 2007 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rasher (Post 6542928)

RA=Race altered. What does the single R stand for??

According to this Type-RA.co.uk - Home of the Subaru Impreza WRX Type RA, Subaru Impreza WRX STi Type RA, Subaru Impreza Type RA V Limited :: View topic - Type RA-R

RA stands for record attempt.

Not sure on the R. On the 2 doors R stood for Retna I believe

MrRA 12 January 2007 09:46 PM

RA-R: Record Attempt - Radical ;)

Not really sure what they have changed on the car as regards the chassis to say it's the best ever handling Impreza as my impression of the car was that it's a Spec C Type RA with the following additions/changes: Brembo six pots, 18" wheels as standard, an STI lower strut brace and the VF42 turbo as found on the S204.

Other than that I would say the cars are identical chassis wise with both cars enjoying the uprated STI setup over the standard Spec C.

As for the spoiler, there is an option to have a carbon item fitted which IMO it needs very badly as it looks awful without one.

Rasher 12 January 2007 09:49 PM

record attempt - radical

thanks mate:D

werent some cars race altered though??

MrRA 12 January 2007 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rasher (Post 6543028)
record attempt - radical

thanks mate:D

werent some cars race altered though??

Yes some of the earlier RA cars stood for Race Altered but on the Spec C editions RA stands for Record Attempt. To do with setting the sub 8min lap around the 'Ring.

Rasher 12 January 2007 09:54 PM

thanks again:)

SPEN555 12 January 2007 10:50 PM

If it's got no rear wing it could stand for 'Rubbish Ar$e' ;)

Terminator X 12 January 2007 11:05 PM

Agreed that it looks v poor without the wing ...

I'd like the carbon wing on mine (lowly Spec C), where can you get them?

TX.

Originally Posted by MrRA (Post 6543016)
As for the spoiler, there is an option to have a carbon item fitted which IMO it needs very badly as it looks awful without one.

GC8 12 January 2007 11:09 PM

Doesnt anyone else like Impreza saloons (Classic & New Age) without a rear spoiler?

MrRA 12 January 2007 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator X (Post 6543282)
Agreed that it looks v poor without the wing ...

I'd like the carbon wing on mine (lowly Spec C), where can you get them?

TX.

Litchfield Imports

I believe this is the one you would be after TX ;)

The carbon spolier on that's available as an option on the RA-R is the same design as that of the one found on the S204.

PCM 12 January 2007 11:35 PM

what sort fo power is the vf42 good for?

Terminator X 13 January 2007 12:29 AM

That's the one ... £500 + VAT!! Juggers, you looking :wonder:

TX.

Originally Posted by MrRA (Post 6543305)
Litchfield Imports

I believe this is the one you would be after TX ;)

The carbon spolier on that's available as an option on the RA-R is the same design as that of the one found on the S204.

scoobyDAZZA 13 January 2007 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by GC8 (Post 6543301)
Doesnt anyone else like Impreza saloons (Classic & New Age) without a rear spoiler?

i do :thumb:

Will 13 January 2007 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by GC8 (Post 6543301)

i do! but, spoiler or not. still an impreza right?

BeeSTi 13 January 2007 10:57 AM

Bit of a mouthfull....... Subaru Impreza WRX STi Spec C TYpe RA-R

It would be a BIG badge.....................:lol:

MrRA 13 January 2007 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by PCM (Post 6543409)
what sort fo power is the vf42 good for?

I believe the compressor housing and it's design are different to the VF36. Not too sure about the the exhaust housing.

How much more power it is capable of is something I'd like to know too. I would estimate not much more for some reason. I reckon it would provide stronger mid-range over the VF36.

TonyBurns 13 January 2007 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by MrRA (Post 6546090)
I believe the compressor housing and it's design are different to the VF36. Not too sure about the the exhaust housing.

How much more power it is capable of is something I'd like to know too. I would estimate not much more for some reason. I reckon it would provide stronger mid-range over the VF36.

The VF42 is based on the VF22, performance wise its got about 20bhp more in it than a VF36, and yes it will give more midrange torque due to its size.

Tony:)