ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   A word of warning when posting pictures... (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/573137-a-word-of-warning-when-posting-pictures.html)

Flaps 10 January 2007 05:17 PM

A word of warning when posting pictures...

One of my work mates had a knock from the police last night asking if he has been in Nottingham recently. It turns out someone has been using his number plate on their car and doing a few robberies! :eek2: (Non-subaru). He bought the car from a car supermarket that trade on-line and we believe they may have taken the plate details from this advert.

If you do post a picture of your car just be aware that people that way inclined do use the Internet to search for number plates so make sure you scribble your plate out of the image.

You may think that they could just see the car on the streets and copy it that way but how long would it take to find a car the same as yours if you were waiting for one to pass?? You can probably find one using Google in a matter of minutes.

The police told him he may now get pulled over a few times. He asked about speeding tickets and they said he would have to appeal them if they turn up. They advised he contacts the DVLA and changes his number plate. :(

The Zohan 10 January 2007 05:21 PM

This goes on a lot, usually scum will just spot another car of the same type/year/colour and get plates made up from that car for their car.

I would not post a piccie of my car c/w no plates without obscuring the plate in some way

minxy69 10 January 2007 05:22 PM

What !?!?!?!?! can't do anything or having anything without someone causing grief!! :mad:

D.O.M 10 January 2007 05:23 PM

Isn't more difficult to get plates made up now as the supplier must see the V5 document

fivetide 10 January 2007 05:34 PM

Bit of scaremongering really. You can cover if you have time but whereever you park it on whenever it is on the road a tealeaf can make a note of the reg and have a plate made.

The V5 law came in to stop it but making plates is easy and if you order from outside the UK then it makes no difference which is how fancyplates can do what they do.

m.

Flaps 10 January 2007 05:35 PM

You can get them made up on ebay. I bet they don't always require the necessary info.

DannyBoy007 10 January 2007 05:56 PM

You can have show plates made up and most companies don't ask for the V5 as they arn't road legal.

JonMc 10 January 2007 06:16 PM

Order mine from fancy plates over the web, didn't want to see my V5

911 10 January 2007 06:17 PM

Where is England headed?
I've just spent a day at a local secondary school as a volunteer worker, and i sudder to see the youth of today and guess how they will be the adults of tomorrow.
Surprised the police took such an interest, but that is another thing.

Too easy to go crazy over loss of decency in the UK today.

Graham. :norty:

cookstar 10 January 2007 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by JonMc (Post 6533610)
Order mine from fancy plates over the web, didn't want to see my V5

Same here, was a bit shoked at how easy they were to get with no papers