ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Sluggish Diesel and a pain to start - Help needed! (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/573112-sluggish-diesel-and-a-pain-to-start-help-needed.html)

The Chief 10 January 2007 03:37 PM

Sluggish Diesel and a pain to start - Help needed!

I've bought a Mundano 1.8 TD as a second car - unfortunately its proving to be a right pain to get going, coughs and splutters for ages until eventually it goes.

Someone told me it could be my glow plugs and i think it needs a service.
also could this affect the performance as it is truly gutless - no i mean it is really really slow beyond belief, like 0-60 in about 20 seconds!!!!

Thanks in advance:thumb:

scoobynutta555 10 January 2007 03:42 PM

A service can do no harm at all, when was the last one?

The Chief 10 January 2007 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555 (Post 6532914)
A service can do no harm at all, when was the last one?

Not sure mate - i've not had it long, having said that i know it had its cambelt done last year

scoobynutta555 10 January 2007 03:49 PM

Plugs and a oil + filter change would be quite cheap. It would at least eliminate those items if the bad performance continued.

Deviate 10 January 2007 05:30 PM

Glowplugs first assuming the telltale light operates correctly (if not its likely to be the relay)?

misty 10 January 2007 06:43 PM

Check the fuel filter housing on the right side of the cylinder head mate. They cause problems by allowing the fuel to syphon back to the tank. About £40.00 for a new one.
Dave

mad555 10 January 2007 10:44 PM

Air Flow meter try changing that.

bob r 10 January 2007 11:52 PM

It certainly does sound like the glow plugs to me if its a pain to start on colder mornings and restarts fine when warmed up. Diy job aswell.

If its kicking out loads of black smoke the the injectors are probably goosed aswell.

hutton_d 11 January 2007 01:08 PM

Glow plugs for the starting and a bottle of 'injector cleaner' in the tank followed by a good thrashing! Should sort out a lot .......

Dave

misty 11 January 2007 02:09 PM

Before you try to start it in the morning, hand prime the system using the black pump on top of the fuel filter. If it starts, then the problem is as I said in an earlier reply. Glow plugs are the all to often blamed part, when in fact it's a bad filter housing seal to blame.
Dave

hutton_d 11 January 2007 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by misty (Post 6537082)
Before you try to start it in the morning, hand prime the system using the black pump on top of the fuel filter. If it starts, then the problem is as I said in an earlier reply. Glow plugs are the all to often blamed part, when in fact it's a bad filter housing seal to blame.
Dave

Knowall ...... :D :D

Dave

misty 11 January 2007 03:58 PM

No....Know most:D:D:D
Dave