ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Think a power surge has killed my PC... (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/572707-think-a-power-surge-has-killed-my-pc.html)

Account deleted by request 09 January 2007 08:42 AM

Think a power surge has killed my PC...

We had a few power cuts down my way last night, went to turn the PC on and it is dead as a dodo, do people agree most likely cause is a power surge?

If so what do I need to do to sort it out? Tried changing fuses etc to no avail.

Will I have lost everything on my hard drive? I hope not :cry:

Any info would be useful

thanks

chop :)

lightning101 09 January 2007 08:51 AM

Best case is a new power supply, worst case is it has blown the motherboard/ram/cpu. Do you have access to another PC to test each component ?

No reason to lose anything on hard drive though :)

MattW 09 January 2007 09:15 AM

As lightening says, get a new PSU first that is the cheapest and easiest to test. If it still fails it will definitely be the motherboard.

Account deleted by request 09 January 2007 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by lightning101 (Post 6526519)
Best case is a new power supply, worst case is it has blown the motherboard/ram/cpu. Do you have access to another PC to test each component ?

No reason to lose anything on hard drive though :)

I don't unfortunately have another machine to test it on, I do know a local repairer I will take it up to him, he's a pretty good guy.

Will try a new power supply first though. To be honest the machine is getting on and it is time for a replacement I would be gutted to lose whats on the hard drive though.

Thanks for reply.

Account deleted by request 09 January 2007 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by MattW (Post 6526604)
As lightening says, get a new PSU first that is the cheapest and easiest to test. If it still fails it will definitely be the motherboard.

Thanks for reply, computer on way to be checked :thumb:

pimmo2000 09 January 2007 11:06 AM

The PSU will have fused thats all, very veyr little chance its damaged anything inside the pc.

Shark Man 09 January 2007 12:00 PM

Some PSUs have a internal quickblow fuse.

You'll have to crack it open to find out, some however have the fuse soldered in, so you need to solder a fuse holder in to replace it.

There is a possibility it was overloaded if you have several hard drives, DVD drives, USB devices etc. And the powersupply is running on its limits. In which case, it needs changing for one with a higher power rating.

A cheap (but noisey) PSU can be had for less than £20, so its not the end of the world.

GazTheHat 09 January 2007 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by chopper. (Post 6526701)
Will try a new power supply first though. To be honest the machine is getting on and it is time for a replacement I would be gutted to lose whats on the hard drive though.

In that case, definitely an insurance job.