ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   WMA to MP3 converter? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/572479-wma-to-mp3-converter.html)

ricardo_wrx 08 January 2007 01:53 PM

WMA to MP3 converter?

I have just got a new head unit with a USB port. Im trying to convert all CD's by ripping them to my PC then transfering them to my portable USB drive.

I can save them as WMA without any problem. However I want them saved as an MP3 as the files are much smaller. The only problem is that when you ask Windows Media Player to rip music as an MP3 it ghosts out the option to 'Copy Protected Material'.

Are there any other ways around this such as a converter? I have tried a few that I had to download free, but these had some nasty files attached to the free download.

Help..... I want some tunes soon!:mad:

Jim_B 08 January 2007 02:50 PM

Could just use iTunes or Real Player to rip from CD straight to MP3 if media player doesnt do this ( I think its an extra plug in for media player too though )

Iain Young 08 January 2007 02:54 PM

I'd probably use iTunes for this.

p.s. MP3 files are not smaller than WMA. The file size all depends on the quality settings you use when encoding the music :)

ricardo_wrx 08 January 2007 03:37 PM

i didnt realise that. Most of the tracks are ending up around 4-5 meg. What's the best size for a 4-5 min track without loosing quality?

Iain Young 08 January 2007 03:50 PM

I usually encode everything at a minimum setting of 192kbs. Even at that setting, some sounds quality is lost, but it's good enough for the car.

John@TunerUK 08 January 2007 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by ricardo_wrx (Post 6523451)
I can save them as WMA without any problem. However I want them saved as an MP3 as the files are much smaller. The only problem is that when you ask Windows Media Player to rip music as an MP3 it ghosts out the option to 'Copy Protected Material'.

I think you may have miss read. It actually ghost out the option to 'copy protect music' not to 'copy protected music'

You can still rip off a genuine CD with no ill effects to my knowledge. You just can't ensure that you can't copy off that copy:wonder:

mart360 08 January 2007 04:37 PM

cdex, and run at 128kbs compression rate, or variable bit rate

Mart

Iain Young 08 January 2007 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by mart360 (Post 6524150)
cdex, and run at 128kbs compression rate, or variable bit rate

You'll lose a fair bit of quality at that setting though (he stated he didn;t want to lose any).

Hanslow 08 January 2007 06:25 PM

Use CDex at whatever bitrate you see fit...320kbit/s? Mine are done at 192 and quality set to 2 (highish). For the wonderful acoustic environment of the car, this is more than ample.

ricardo_wrx 08 January 2007 08:50 PM

Any idea where i can get that software?

Iain Young 08 January 2007 08:57 PM

Google is your friend...

SourceForge.net: CDex

ricardo_wrx 08 January 2007 09:06 PM

cheeky bugger! lol Thanx!:thumb:

Donaldbow 24 January 2007 09:52 AM

Any audio editing and converting software will be of use. Suggests FlexiMusic Wave Editor. Directly can't read WMA file in FlexiMusic Wave Editor, so play and record the Wma file in the software and then using the "Save As" command, convert and save the Wma file as Mp3 format.To save the file as Mp3, need to install a separate command line Mp3 encoder/ decoder. Lame win 32 will be of use.