ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   advice please (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/572475-advice-please.html)

tripletdad333 08 January 2007 01:40 PM

advice please

hello to everybody,ive just joined this forum to hopefully get some unbiased advice on buying a scoopy,i have @ £15k to spent ,but im quite green on these cars as to what to look for and whats best value for ,money ie running costs servicing etc ,im looking for either one with a ppp pack or the sti version ,but any advice greatfully recieved

MattW 08 January 2007 01:43 PM

15k will get you an 04 (maybe an 05) Scoopy ;) privately. The Sti is very different to the WRX, have you driven one yet?

pippyrips 08 January 2007 01:51 PM

Matt's made a good point - best to drive both and make your own mind up. Also drive a JDM (jap import)

Tidgy 08 January 2007 01:54 PM

best advice is to first find out about insurance, its gonna be steep, so make sure you can afford to pay the required amount each year.

donnas roo 08 January 2007 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by pippyrips (Post 6523442)
Matt's made a good point - best to drive both and make your own mind up. Also drive a JDM (jap import)

Don't think i am being stupid, but the only Subaru i have ever driven is my own 03 Sti, do they all drive differently?

tripletdad333 08 January 2007 02:10 PM

thanks

yes ive sorted insurance as im 45 years old im being quoted around £700 protected,i test drove a 55plate with ppp done 12k miles,,yesterday at £15 k at my local vauxhall dealers but im taking all of next weekend to go shop around hence why im trying to ask the relevent questions now!

GazTheHat 08 January 2007 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by donnas roo (Post 6523482)
Don't think i am being stupid, but the only Subaru i have ever driven is my own 03 Sti, do they all drive differently?

Yep! quite a bit.

GazTheHat 08 January 2007 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by tripletdad333 (Post 6523504)
yes ive sorted insurance as im 45 years old im being quoted around £700 protected,i test drove a 55plate with ppp done 12k miles,,yesterday at £15 k at my local vauxhall dealers but im taking all of next weekend to go shop around hence why im trying to ask the relevent questions now!

If i had £15k to a subaru now, i would buy a JDM STi. It has a better spec and performance. If an jap import is not your thing, then you should be able to get an UK/EU 05 STi for that money.

If you're not interested in modifying the car, then get one with the PPP, otherwise i wouldn't pay the premium for getting it and spend that on better modifications.
Oh, and buy black, it's faster! :Suspiciou :D

GazTheHat 08 January 2007 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by tripletdad333 (Post 6523504)
yes ive sorted insurance as im 45 years old im being quoted around £700 protected

I would also check out the Insurance section here. I pay less than that for a heavily modified 04 STi, protected, with 6 points, a claim, two drivers and you've got a good few years on me too. :p

Try: A-Plan, Gary Michaels (Moley_WRX on here)

Varboy 08 January 2007 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by GazTheHat (Post 6523605)
If i had £15k to a subaru now, i would buy a JDM STi. It has a better spec and performance. If an jap import is not your thing, then you should be able to get an UK/EU 05 STi for that money.

good summary

that's exactly what I would do if I could 'do it all again'

depends what you want though, if you're just buying it 'cos you want something a bit quick with AWD then get the PPP