ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Who started "The Wave"? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/572433-who-started-the-wave.html)

jayltee1 08 January 2007 11:17 AM

Who started "The Wave"?

Anyone know where the 'waving at other Scooby drivers' came from? One of my mates used to have a classic Mini Cooper and they always waved to each other. Just wondered if anyone knows how long it's been going on and where it came from?

GazTheHat 08 January 2007 11:22 AM

When i had my classic back in '97 people used to wave/thumbs up. I thought it was appreciation for the car back then, as it wasn't just subarus.

I don't know who started it, but i guess people do it as it's not your average car, and the reason you bought it and love it, is probably shared by other owners.

Flaps 08 January 2007 11:49 AM

I noticed it a lot when I had my Minis, but that is more of a classic car so it's similar people sharing the interest. I've had one wave in seven months since buying the Subaru, and that was from someone I know!

Shark Man 08 January 2007 12:03 PM

Back in the mid 90s before the amount of grey imports peaked. The Impreza Turbo was a very rare car and pretty much unheard of to the feejit masses, so seeing another of the same model was not a very common occurance.

So the wave acknowleged the person was "in the know" in purchasing the fastest farmer's car money could buy, that few people knew about.

Obviously now it means nothing, they are as common as muck, everyone knows what they are and can do. The wave has died out as the spread of EVO reading feejit owners amassed reliving their midlife crisis. Now the wave is reserved to only those who browse BBS forums in hope they get post in the "was it You" thread.

Not to be taken heart, of course :D

94impreza 08 January 2007 12:10 PM

Bikers have been ding the same for years. I think its a mutual understanding thing, bit like women with kids always stare at pregnant women.

GazTheHat 08 January 2007 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Shark Man (Post 6522918)
Back in the mid 90s before the amount of grey imports peaked. The Impreza Turbo was a very rare car and pretty much unheard of to the feejit masses, so seeing another of the same model was not a very common occurance.

So the wave acknowleged the person was "in the know" in purchasing the fastest farmer's car money could buy, that few people knew about.

Obviously now it means nothing, they are as common as muck, everyone knows what they are and can do. The wave has died out as the spread of EVO reading feejit owners amassed reliving their midlife crisis. Now the wave is reserved to only those who browse BBS forums in hope they get post in the "was it You" thread.

Harsh, but completely true i feel.

pippyrips 08 January 2007 01:56 PM

VW camper vans have been doing it for years

ADY 555 08 January 2007 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by jayltee1 (Post 6522713)
Anyone know where the 'waving at other Scooby drivers' came from? One of my mates used to have a classic Mini Cooper and they always waved to each other. Just wondered if anyone knows how long it's been going on and where it came from?

I bet it was Ps Lewis who started it. :lol: :lol:

Lydia72 08 January 2007 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Shark Man (Post 6522918)

^^^what he said ^^^
It used to be like you were in on a secret, when I got my first Classic it was rare to see another one, yesterday I saw four within two minutes.

jayltee1 08 January 2007 03:05 PM

Cheers to all - sorry for the cack question but I am new here and probably just a little bit too excited about all this knowledge that is out there to be tapped :)

Varboy 08 January 2007 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by jayltee1 (Post 6523720)
Cheers to all - sorry for the cack question but I am new here and probably just a little bit too excited about all this knowledge that is out there to be tapped :)

give it time, your enthusiasm will dwindle when you come into contact with the resident trolls. Welcome to the board though.

On topic, I try to wave at all Impreza drivers, I get about a 50% response rate.

The ones that respond I class as those that are the 'real' enthusiasts

Tripple'O G 08 January 2007 03:18 PM

Old age landrovers (series 1,2 etc) have been doing it for ages I do know...

What I don't get on the bike nodding is only super bikes will nod to super bikes, naked bikes to naked bikes and no-one nod's to hairdryers...er........I mean scooters......

EmEm 08 January 2007 03:50 PM

When I owned a '74 Beetle, I got the "Bug" wave and when I had my bike, always nodded to other bikes, but never to scooters!!!

jayltee1 08 January 2007 03:51 PM

I shall continue to acknowledge those like-minded in their choice of transportation....and chase down and destroy those who fail to reciprocate :)

Tripple'O G 08 January 2007 03:52 PM

In leather trousers and I bet they all let you go first at the lights EmEm ;) :D

Bateman 08 January 2007 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by pippyrips (Post 6523469)
VW camper vans have been doing it for years

Yep, it was a "No Worries" kind of thing..... when driving my VW van I tend not to wave as the wife looks at me like I am odd or asks if I know them, I think she does it on purpose. :wonder:

I rememebr leaving BugJam one year and waving 35+ times before I had even left the pod ! it was getting a bit much

GazTheHat 08 January 2007 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by jayltee1 (Post 6523720)

Plug yourself in, use the search and place your credit card next to the keyboard. :lol1: :norty:

Shark Man 08 January 2007 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tripple'O G (Post 6523771)
Old age landrovers (series 1,2 etc) have been doing it for ages I do know...

Series Land Rover owners wave as they share the same eccentric die hard mentality not to let their aging Landys die, by bodging on whatever they can find onto them to keep them working. :D

Farmers in Landys never wave though :mad:

DCR59 08 January 2007 08:28 PM

What wave, :hjtwofing

Wavings for the Bikers - unless it's a moped or a learner.
That's the rules.

Shark Man 08 January 2007 08:32 PM

Old 911 (pre 1990s and earlier) drivers wave too. :)

Proppa Prokers have no coolant :thumb:

s70rjw 08 January 2007 08:40 PM

Fellow Cosworth owners used to wave so did Cinquecento Sportings. All part of the fun

andythejock01wrx 08 January 2007 08:44 PM

And Chevette owners !

COLZO 08 January 2007 11:16 PM

The acknowledgement wave was used to great effect when I bought my first Scoob 6 years ago, now if you wave at another Scooby 9/10 owners just look at you as if 'do I know you?'. I now only wave back to avoid embarassment.

Prasius 08 January 2007 11:29 PM

I had two waves on the friday - the day I picked the car up, which as someone who's had a real mini, I thought was great!

I had another wave on Saturday. One thing connected the 3 though - all were new age cars. Saw two classics today - neither waved. :( I would have accepted it as a bit of snobbery from a P1 driver, but I somehow don't think they were the right end of the class spectrum for that. ;)

Adidas 08 January 2007 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by EmEm
When I owned a '74 Beetle, I got the "Bug" wave and when I had my bike, always nodded to other bikes, but never to scooters!!!

To be fair, I was always under the impression it was Beetle drivers who started the whole 'waving' thing off.

Mind you, I get the occasional acknowledgement from fellow Pug drivers too :)

donnas roo 09 January 2007 10:53 AM

:lol1: Good job clio drivers don't follow the trend, otherwise ther would be a few done for due care and attention by the local bobbys:lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

EmEm 09 January 2007 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Tripple'O G (Post 6523915)
In leather trousers and I bet they all let you go first at the lights EmEm ;) :D

Yeah....think I use to here them mumble "what I wouldn't give to be that saddle on that bike..." yeah yeah, heard it ALL before :sleep: !!!!

V7C 09 January 2007 11:44 AM

I seem to remember Wartburg owners waving too :notworthy pmsl

Russ71 09 January 2007 02:05 PM

I think it's quite cool, like one big happy family, I always give a wave and recieve a wave off other scoob drivers.

I've done it since I had my Bug (VW) those were the days Bug Jam at the POD and now since I bought my first scoob it will be Jap fest at the POD, a bit different I'll have a wife and kids in tow this time around.

:thumb: