ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Cheap runabout - any ideas (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/571972-cheap-runabout-any-ideas.html)

The Zohan 06 January 2007 05:50 PM

Cheap runabout - any ideas

Hi All,

Looking for a cheap runabout, commute 100 miles per day, looking to spend 500.00.
Not bothered about make or looks or performance as such only that 'it' returns 40+mpg

Any thoughts???

The Chief 06 January 2007 06:14 PM

Pity you were not local - you could've had my cavalier for 150 quid.

still if you do 100miles a day i'd get something with a bit of poke and not a shopping car.

i've just picked up a Mondeo and the ride and handling is excellent for such a old car.

loads for 500 quid.

The Chief 06 January 2007 06:16 PM

you will be bothered about performance especially doing 100 miles a day so i'd stay away from small 1.1's etc. i had a Pug 205 1.1 (bought off here for 50 quid actually) and it was great. it was painfully slow on long journeys though.

best bet get something bigger and sacrifice a few mpg for decent ride and comfort

taffyboyo 06 January 2007 06:20 PM

citroen zx turbo diesel,

ugly as sin in estate form
I've got an aura estate, (alloys,electric windows,sunroof,remote locking etc)
I've got seats down most of the time, for throwing crap in the back etc,
Goes well for an N reg, 1.9 td, 100 mile a day would be easy in it
Never had any problems with in about 8k miles,now on 102k
paid about £350 for it, couple of marks but no rust at all,
got it from BCA Blackbush

Taffy

R4LLY 06 January 2007 07:00 PM

I picked up a H plate Audi 80 1.6 Turbo Diesel from E-bay a couple weeks back, cost £550 but economically is excellent.

For £10 it does 120 miles.... Excellent runabout and is quite nippy too :norty:

TaffyB 07 January 2007 12:26 AM

Paul,

I was in your situation about 2 months ago, had the impreza & due to my new job i had to travel 130 miles a day, therefore the fuel in the scoob would just be silly.

I done quite a bit of looking around & chatting to various people as to what to get and only one car seemed to fit the bill.

Cheap to buy, bullet proof engine, doesnt look that bad, goes relatively well, handles well (but does like to understeer), comes with all the electric windows, central locking, very good stereo as standard, comfy seats, alloys, practical & most of all does 630 miles to a full tank of diesel (about £60 & 630 miles was a run out point).

The car in question is the Peugeot 306 TD.

I got an N'plate 1.9TD with all the same spec as the sport edition.

In my opinion & from what i gathered from many people on scoobynet a good car that would certainly fit the bill.

If you want to know anymore info or if i can be of any help just drop me a PM.

Cheers Brent

astraboy 07 January 2007 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood (Post 6516620)
Hi All,

Looking for a cheap runabout, commute 100 miles per day, looking to spend 500.00.
Not bothered about make or looks or performance as such only that 'it' returns 40+mpg

Any thoughts???

Volvo 340?
How many cars you know that cost 250 quid, cost less than 300 quid a year to insure (and 120 of that is breakdown cover) do 300 miles to the tank, said tank only costs 30 quid to fill and passes its MOT after a few bulbs are changed?

They also are a hoot to drive (flat out EVERYWHERE!), can be left absolutely anywhere and not get looked at, are reliable as old boots and and drift rather well too:norty:
astraboy.

Blueblaster 07 January 2007 08:10 AM

How about this for an idea? Remember that Top Gear feature where they each had £100 to buy a car and complete a series of tests in it? Clarkson won because he got his car for a Pound. He did so because he bought a car which would have cost the dealer £150 to scrap so essentially got it for free. If you don't have a job where you MUST get there on time then you could get a car like this and hope it keeps going. When it doesn't just buy a new one. Just a thought as the Top Gear chaps had no trouble with their purchases.

hades 07 January 2007 02:00 PM

Well I followed Brent's idea and went with a 306 1.9 D Tubro when in a similar situation (6 months of 160 mile/day commute). Cheap and easy to service, engines very reliable (the only problems tend to be heater matrix, door seals) You won't get a decent one for £500, but you almost certainly will be able to sell it on for well under £500 in depreciation a year or two down the line.

That said, there's no question in my mind that the best economical old TD engine is the VAG 1.9, drives better and uses less fuel than the PSA one.

s70rjw 07 January 2007 08:46 PM

Nissan Micra 1.0 or Almera 1.4. No cambelt to change, cheap as chips to service. 100% reliability zero image so gets left alone

MooseRacer 08 January 2007 04:55 AM

Nissan Primera - 100% reliable.

Matt_taylor 08 January 2007 10:18 AM

i got a 106 D.. slow was fudge... but funny to drive

i want a discovery though

fivetide 08 January 2007 11:09 AM

If you do want poke 1.6 fiesta. Parts from halfords, happy to cruise and ghaul weight if needed. Just an option apart from the Pug diesel (which is possibly the best choice just check the electrics)

m.

The Zohan 09 January 2007 08:02 AM

Thanks for all the advice, currently looking on fleabay and local rag + auctions.

Loks like a Pug or Citreon TD's are likely contenders but will look at anything in my price range really:)

B4D HK 09 January 2007 05:50 PM

have to say (dont laugh) nissan micra (bubble shape) ive had two now and what a car, cheap to run, service and so reliable. honestly mate you wont look back. my mums got£6k yaris and i still prefer my £500 micra. mines a 1.0 and is a lil nippy bugger, they do a 1.3 also. honestly mate, if you can get over the looks its a bargain