ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   my exhaust has been decatted but need a cat for mot. (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/571727-my-exhaust-has-been-decatted-but-need-a-cat-for-mot.html)

scoobywrx320 05 January 2007 05:02 PM

my exhaust has been decatted but need a cat for mot.

hi everyone,

i have had my subaru impreza wrx 1995 import for a few months now and my mot is due.last owner never had the cat for mot, its a straight through exhaust with 5" box. would anyone know if it just a standard cat i need as i dont know the make of the exhaust.can anyone help me please?

CHEERS

andythejock01wrx 05 January 2007 05:09 PM

Will sell you mine for £400.

SamUK 05 January 2007 05:31 PM

Find yourself a Friendly MOT station.... :thumb:

When i had my Scooby i went to my local and he wanted another £20 on top to run another car for the emmisions in place of mine...

911 05 January 2007 05:40 PM

A lot of decat/aftermarket systems will bolt-up to the stock Impreza d/pipe.
There are several stock d/p's on Eb@y.

Literally today I have paid £200 for a 3'' stainlesss Graham Goode racing sport-cat complete system that will keep my power and pass the MoT without the need of a friendly operator!

The day of the de-cat are coming to a close!

Graham
Go Green...(he says at 8 mpg when pressing on)

jockc79 05 January 2007 06:11 PM

The day of the de-cat are coming to a close!

Graham)[/quote]

utter ****e

911 05 January 2007 06:19 PM

Mark my words if you come to the West Midlands.(roadside checks, impound the car there and then with directions to the bus stop)

Lee D T 05 January 2007 06:23 PM

I guess the cat / down pipe is replaced when you say it is a full system, or do you mean the cat underneath the car after the down pipe is missing?

If the down pipe is original with the first cat then you wont need the other one, it will pass with just one being a 1995.

911 05 January 2007 06:31 PM

Putting the stock d/p and cat on for the MoT will work well enough, especially if it is allowed to get hot enough to really work.
I used to bolt on my stock d/p and system (Sti V3) as it was easy enough.
I then installed a full decat 3'' but bought a 3'' d/p with ceramic cat for the MoT and refitted the decat after.

I get fed-up wiith all the swopping over, but the road side checks are really getting about, and they check more than the exhaust emmisions.
Who needs the hassle when there are some very good sport-cats about now, ie the Ninja units.

Some of the UK turbos have a second cat in the centre, and some Jap spec systems have resonators (not cats) there.
The New Age cars sometimes have a cat in the up-pipe as well where the gases are very hot so the cat works well quickly.

Graham.

Shark Man 05 January 2007 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by 911
Mark my words if you come to the West Midlands.(roadside checks, impound the car there and then with directions to the bus stop)

I can't see how they carry out this threat on a minor defect. Especially seeing the test for the MOT only states the car passed on the day, it is no guarantee the car will pass again, even on the very next day. And that could cover any car, standard or not

Unless a feejit driver was mouthy or told the jobsworth the car was modified or had a decat. If you plead ignorance (i.e say it passed the previous MOT...must be an engine problem that has since developed) and have a standard looking tailpipe (long live the pea shooters :D ) I can't see how they can legitimatly enact on something that is beyond the owner's knowledge or control until the car is actually tested. A defect notice is all that should be issued and is what is considered a reasonable response.

Anyhoo, in reply to the original topic, Have you ensured the car has had both cats removed? As a decat could mean the centre section cat, downpipe section cat, or both! Alot of owners only removed the centre section as that was the easiest to do. Its also the easiest one to replace if you need to refit a cat to the car. :)

911 05 January 2007 07:45 PM

Sharkman:
I would agree, but it happens around here!
'They' have you in a layby and give the car and you an 'MoT'.
If the car is outside the MoT criteria then the car is illegal.
That makes the Insurance and Tax void.
They will not allow you to drive any car illegally, no insurance, no tax...

Evez: Exactly.

Shark Man 05 January 2007 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by 911
Sharkman:
I would agree, but it happens around here!
'They' have you in a layby and give the car and you an 'MoT'.
If the car is outside the MoT criteria then the car is illegal.
That makes the Insurance and Tax void.
They will not allow you to drive any car illegally, no insurance, no tax...

Evez: Exactly.

Ah, so they aren't taking custody of the car, just preventing me from using it, thats what I would expect. <Disconnects CPS and calls Greenflag> ;)

Bobcat 05 January 2007 09:12 PM

I am sure if it,s a pre August 95 then it can be tested as a non cat car,it was after August it has to have a cat for the test

911 05 January 2007 10:55 PM

Yes, I think you are right Bobcat, but mine is a '97 facelift so elligable.

Bubba po 05 January 2007 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by jockc79

utter ****e

What's brought you back on the forum, you mong?