ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   After-market steering wheel (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/571474-after-market-steering-wheel.html)

Gear Head 04 January 2007 07:47 PM

After-market steering wheel

I have a Uk99 Turbo with the 'dinner-plate' size steering wheel. Want to change it for something a bit smaller.
If I remove the airbag, will the light come up on the dash?
My old sti 4 had an aftermarket steering wheel and the airbag wiring seemed to have some sort of blanking plug which seemed to do the job.

Has anyone done a conversion like this??
Chris

Gear Head 04 January 2007 09:18 PM

anyone?

to ferreira 04 January 2007 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
I have a Uk99 Turbo with the 'dinner-plate' size steering wheel. Want to change it for something a bit smaller.
If I remove the airbag, will the light come up on the dash?
My old sti 4 had an aftermarket steering wheel and the airbag wiring seemed to have some sort of blanking plug which seemed to do the job.

Has anyone done a conversion like this??
Chris

Dont think so but not sure. Anyway, if so, just unplug the fuse.

Gear Head 04 January 2007 09:55 PM

No because then the airbag light will deffo come on!

RLE 04 January 2007 10:16 PM

I had a Momo 330mm jobby on my classic (97 turbo)
The air bag light was on from the day I picked the car up. Always meant to try and get it sorted but four years later sold the car with the same light stuck on. Never really bothered me after the first few days although I was always worried it would fail the MOT but always passed.

Never tried to get the light out so can't help in that regard I'm afraid.

Gear Head 05 January 2007 08:10 AM

anyone else? there must be a simple solution to this?

VICTORVONDOOM 05 January 2007 05:41 PM

Hi there. I've also tried to change my wheel to something non-standard. You can get boss kits with airbag plug in capacitors for other 'popular' cars but haven't seen any for the facelift. Do you remember what make the boss/wheel was on your V4?

doug2507 05 January 2007 06:21 PM

just take the bulb out from behind the clocks....??

Gear Head 05 January 2007 10:42 PM

Yea, good idea! That way, I can spend the best part of a day taking my dash to pieces. Plus, potential buyers will think the car has been clocked! :thumb:

doug2507 05 January 2007 11:43 PM

Dont know if youre being serious or sarcastic?

VICTORVONDOOM 06 January 2007 01:05 PM

You could take the bulb out but I understand this will mean that the passenger airbag wont work either. My understanding is that you can get a boss kit for the pre facelift but not for the facelift. I also understand that some imported facelifts had aftermarket boss kits and steering wheels added on by previous owners (in Japan) but don't know what brand they were. Hopefully someone reading this may be able to shed more light?