ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   One for the Breitling owners... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/570737-one-for-the-breitling-owners.html)

Kuro 02 January 2007 02:15 PM

One for the Breitling owners...

What kind of +/- tolerance do you expect from your Breiters..? After sending mine back to HQ last year because it was losing time, it now appears to be gaining. It's definatley in need of some attention becuase it appears to have gained 10 seconds from 10:00 to 14:00:Suspiciou

Does anyone know any websites that have accurate clocks on them, I've used a Jewellery website with a mirrow of the atomic clock on it for the past few days.

Must admit, i did expect slightly more quality for the money..!

Trout 02 January 2007 02:26 PM

I am sure there is a specific tolerance for a Breitling - however as a clockwork watch it will vary with temp. Do you keep taking it on/off?

Mine gains/loses between one and three minutes a month. My Tag is the same.

Ten seconds gain in four hours is a lot - however it might lose it again when you take it off at night. You really need to check it over a period of a few days.

TopBanana 02 January 2007 02:26 PM

That's way out.

The winder fell off mine last night!

martx 02 January 2007 02:37 PM

I had a nightmare with Brietling last year. I bought one of the massive ones, i forget what is was called now but remember it was £2500.

The lady in Ernest Jones set it up for me & off I went.

The following week I noticed the screen had 'steamed up'.

I took it straight back & they said they'd have to send it back to Brietling, fine no problem.

1 MONTH later Ertnest Jones called me to say the watch was back repaired but wanted £100 as brietling said I'd left the winder open. I told em bollox & that I never touched the winder & why would i want a repaired watch after only having it for 1 week!.

They reluctantly waived the £100 quid & I reluctantly accepted the watch.

The watch was ridiculasly fast from then on & I eventually got a silver & gold GMT-Master II for an extra £700.

I wouldn't buy another Brietling.

paulr 02 January 2007 03:14 PM

1 minute a day seems a lot. I'm not sure what mine loses/gains but i'll check it against the speaking clock and find out.

The other thing is,why does anyone need a watch thats ultra accurate?

rallying1 02 January 2007 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by TopBanana
That's way out.

The winder fell off mine last night!

Yep same happened to mine mate , I am told that the 'winding post' on the Automatics is notorious for being weak and obviously if you dont wear it every day like me then you have to pull it out to change time and date it snaps them, mines gone back for a new one.

TopBanana 02 January 2007 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by paulr
The other thing is,why does anyone need a watch thats ultra accurate?

Any number of reasons Paul.

Longjing 02 January 2007 03:53 PM

That sort of gain and loss sounds a bit worrying I must say. The movement ought to bed in over time but yours doesn't sound that new if you've sent it back once already.

Regular wearing or consistent regular winding makes a difference. Can be a problem if you've got more than one automatic. Again, the gain/loss shouldn't be that much anyway (I reckon).

ps for accurate setting a radio-controlled clock or watch is good. If it's working, it's right. Junghans make very good ones but others do too.

Trout 02 January 2007 03:55 PM

If accuracy is important then get a £1.50 digital from the market ;)

TopBanana 02 January 2007 03:59 PM

... or a certified quartz chronometer from Breitling. Accurate and looks pretty smart ;)

2000TLondon 02 January 2007 03:59 PM

How old is it and how often do you get it serviced? As said earlier, you need to measure over a longer period.

My Dateadjust gains a minute a month probably, but I've not serviced it for several years.......

hutton_d 02 January 2007 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rannoch
Mine gains/loses between one and three minutes a month. My Tag is the same.

My Tag (c. 12 years old) loses about a second a day (or is that gain? Can't remember) and has done since new. So 10 seconds in 4 hours is a bit naff ....

Dave

Kuro 02 January 2007 04:58 PM

Thanks all, as a general reply, the watch is just under two years old (still covered by warranty thank god!)

I never take the thing off:)

I'll see how it goes over a 2/3 day period, which is what I think Breitling do anyway on their test rig.

Aside from the slight timekeeping issue, it's a fantastic piece of kit:)

Matteeboy 02 January 2007 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Kuro
Aside from the slight timekeeping issue, it's a fantastic piece of kit:)

I bought a really expensive kettle the other day.
Apart from a slight not-boiling-water issue it's a fantastic piece of kit...:lol1:

Rapid17 02 January 2007 05:04 PM

My hundred quid Citizen Eco Drive Chronograph keeps perfect time. :thumb:

Matteeboy 02 January 2007 05:06 PM

...as does my £120 G Shock - Complete reliability for 7 years so far!

Iwan 02 January 2007 05:21 PM

Mine was fast but wasn't that far out of spec. If you give Breitling UK a ring they'll test/adjust it for free if it's under warranty, as long as its either consistantly fast or consistantly slow it's pretty normal and easy to adjust. I wouldn't bother getting it serviced yet either, they told em every 4 or 5 years for mine.

By the way, Breitling UK customer service are great - consider yourself lucky you're not an Omega owner. ;)

:)