ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Scooby Doo? XR2 or SUBARU (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/570620-scooby-doo-xr2-or-subaru.html)

donnas roo 01 January 2007 11:20 PM

Scooby Doo? XR2 or SUBARU

:) Why do the younger generation call Subaru's Scooby doo's?
I always believed it to be a Ford XR2.

Ayde 01 January 2007 11:23 PM

Must admit I did wonder what all the fuss was about scooby doo's a few years back as we used to use that term for XR2's, that was until I realised that the name had been nicked for Subaru's;)

martx 02 January 2007 08:17 AM

Good thread!,

I've always assumed that its because of the cartoon. When the dog Scooby says "Scooby Doo" it could be misconstrued as "Subaru"????????:wonder:

Or maybe I'm :freak3:

Martx

cw42 02 January 2007 08:31 AM

taken from the sidc faq:

12.2 Nicknames
The Subaru Impreza (and other Subaru's in fact) are often known as Scoobys, because Subaru sounds vaguely like a favourite Hanna Barbera cartoon character called Scooby Doo. Incidentally, Warner Brothers bought the rights to the Hanna Barbera characters so Scooby t-shirts, fridge magnets and (most crucially) key-fobs can be bought at Warner Brothers shops :-) Meanwhile in Australia the nickname is Rex as the turbo is called WRX.

I've NEVER heard of an xr2 being called a scoobydoo, and I've had a few xr2's in my day :)

The Chief 02 January 2007 08:37 AM

I have heard of this Chris i have to say - although this was years ago.

XR2's were known to me as Scooby Doos. then later on taken by Subaru's

ARM-Scooby 02 January 2007 09:30 AM

never heard of it being used for an xr2? It was always xr poooo where i come from!

donnas roo 02 January 2007 11:04 AM

I had an XR2 about10 years ago,it may even be longer than that!!! {total age give away) and they were alwys known as scooby doos then.
A few people i know still have them and still insist they are the origional scooby doo's and Subarus have stolen the punt, so i thought i would try to find out who is the actual owner of the term.

Elmer Fudpucker 02 January 2007 11:11 AM

I refuse point blank to refer to any Subaru as 'scooby'

Its lame and its naff:razz:

donnas roo 02 January 2007 11:22 AM

I am with you on this one.

ARM-Scooby 02 January 2007 11:34 AM

i am sure that scooby is pre impreza tbh, which would be more than ten years!

I think scooby sounds ok, must be an age thing, lol!

500 02 January 2007 12:13 PM

The first car I know of to take the Scooby name was the XR2.

used to argue and:Whatever_ when people said a Subaru was a scooby, now I CBA, and lets face it, we all use SCOOBYnet :razz:

:iamwithst

:D

Paul3446 02 January 2007 12:16 PM

I would never refer to my car as a scooby, extremely naff!

But then I used to get annoyed when people callad Kawasakis "Kwackers"! :nono:

1168 02 January 2007 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudpucker
I refuse point blank to refer to any Subaru as 'scooby'

Its lame and its naff:razz:

whats the name of this site again:wonder:

iamleo 02 January 2007 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by 1168
whats the name of this site again:wonder:

lol:notworthy

BULLITT 02 January 2007 01:03 PM

I hate the term personally. I always refer to the Impreza as just Impreza. Only time I don't mind referring to it is talking about company names Scoobyclinic etc or this forum.

JohnHamer1977 02 January 2007 01:40 PM

It was in the past for XR2's.

I used to wonder why people were all saying they wanted a scooby, until I realised people called the impreza a scooby.

noobscoob 02 January 2007 02:19 PM

If i was to call my car by its full title i would be there for a week telling evryone one i own a ..deep breath...

SUBARU IMPREZA WRX SUBARU TECHNICA INTERNATIONAL PRODRIVE PERFORMANCE PACK MY05 JDM UK300 TYPE-R WR1 P1 RB5....pant...TYPE RA....zzzzz thats why i call it a scooby :)

note to all..i own non of the above models of car lol

al-g 02 January 2007 03:34 PM

Scooby was always used for an XR2 by ours. Personally don't like using Scooby myself. Me and my mates have always called them bru's. :freak3:

What can i say though, everyone's different.

Ryo 02 January 2007 03:36 PM

Scoobarubamadoo - that gets my vote!

:D

Untitled 02 January 2007 03:52 PM

I heard Scooby Doo originated from an american film where one guy was a car sales man selling subaru's. In the film the car sellers mate is asked by someon else what he does for a living and he replies that he sells cars scooby doos or something as he cant remember the name.

Cant remember where i read this think it might be in an impreza book or fan site. I remember them claiming this to be where the term originated, for subarus anyway.

donnas roo 02 January 2007 10:14 PM

All my mates who haven't got there own used to call them scooby's.
Because of my reg plate they now call them ROO's

KIPS 02 January 2007 11:54 PM

Ive allways known them as
XRPOO'S
KIPS

hectic 03 January 2007 12:03 AM

Fiesta's are Fezzers or fizzy's .. never known then as Scooby Doo's .. XR Poo's yes, scooby's no

gemmawilks 03 January 2007 12:29 AM

I have a Subaru and a Fiesta as the Subaru I can nothing for the Fiesta that I drive for work what a bag of **** sorry but had to reply to that, and im on maternity leave :-)

donnas roo 03 January 2007 04:57 PM

Take it you are not from around the Manchester area, XR2's have always been known as Scooby doo's from the day they came out.

Bat-Fink 03 January 2007 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bullitt_Rich
I hate the term personally. I always refer to the Impreza as just Impreza. Only time I don't mind referring to it is talking about company names Scoobyclinic etc or this forum.

:notworthy

bob r 03 January 2007 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by martx
Good thread!,

Not.

donnas roo 03 January 2007 05:41 PM

no- one asked you personally to read it .

cw42 03 January 2007 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by donnas roo
Take it you are not from around the Manchester area, XR2's have always been known as Scooby doo's from the day they came out.

Born in Openshaw, had all my fiestas, from a supersport to xr2i's in the stockport area, NEVER heard them called scoobys! :)