ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Number Plates (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/569583-number-plates.html)

D00 29 December 2006 11:55 AM

Number Plates

Illegal Number Plates - Do you have them? What's your oppinions?

Just ordered a very small front one for the car - but have reservations about using it

WR1JLD 29 December 2006 01:24 PM

:nono: Scoobys attract enough attention off the Law without asking for it:nono:
IMHO

Julian:D

ksa74f 29 December 2006 01:58 PM

Got one on mine and no grief so far,then again i dont go cruising round the town centre.

AsianGunner 29 December 2006 02:02 PM

on my front i have legal sized numbers but not much excess plate, basically its 16" x 3.5"

PPPRob 29 December 2006 02:43 PM

Its the same as everything really, if you feel you want to break the law 'a little bit' and feel ok about it then chance your luck.....

..... You're still breaking the law though :)

Its like Lee Hurst once said 'you wouldn't see an old lady in the street and say "how much you got love? Oh 20 quid, I'll just nick 5 then"'

Rules is rules mate. Choose your own path :thumb:

I have had them in the past but as mentioned before, you're attracting enough attention already so be careful how much more you get.

JohnD 29 December 2006 02:51 PM

If you get nicked, just don't come on here bleating about it!
JohnD

B9GLY 29 December 2006 02:53 PM

i dont think smaller plates are too bad as long as the numbers and letters are sized and spaced properley, however those stupid people that buy a private plate and then put gaffer tape and extra drilled holes and screws etc in them to make them slightly resemble there names are pathetic! if you cant afford the proper ones then dont bother!

pnbond007 29 December 2006 02:54 PM

8 x 2 on the front,

Not to avoid the law just to maximise air through the rad......

Looked at but never stopped.....

donnas roo 29 December 2006 04:24 PM

I got swamped by 3 traffic cop cars blocking me in on the M60 3 weeks ago.
Mine were just fancy numbers and letters {no smaller than the legal limit, i offered to swap them as they are only held on by velcro, but i got a £30 on the spot fine when i asked why? he said "i was asking for it by driving a car like that", then he told me to put my foot down to rejoin the motorway, because he had pulled me over to close to the exit road.
The matter is still ongoing as it was totally uncalled for, sorry no faith in the law....

Bug Eyed Peas 29 December 2006 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by donnas roo
Mine were just fancy numbers and letters {no smaller than the legal limit, i offered to swap them as they are only held on by velcro, but i got a £30 on the spot fine when i asked why? he said "i was asking for it by driving a car like that", then he told me to put my foot down to rejoin the motorway, because he had pulled me over to close to the exit road.
The matter is still ongoing as it was totally uncalled for, sorry no faith in the law....

They probably wanted to see a proper car accelerate :norty:
Hope you get it sorted though. :thumb:
Anthony

D00 29 December 2006 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by donnas roo

What they did to you is unforgivable. Well I will put my plate on - 16'' by 3.5" and if I am told to take it off I will! Its a plain white plate, with a normal font, which imo will make the front of the car more attractive. I have tried a road legal front plate - and they are so big - it looks stupid on a newage.

Mark.

MattW 29 December 2006 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by D00
What they did to you is unforgivable.

Why? Unless there was something further to the story. Illegal plate = £30 fine. If plod had given a warning then I'm sure the old plates would have been back on in no time.

D00 29 December 2006 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by MattW
Why? Unless there was something further to the story. Illegal plate = £30 fine. If plod had given a warning then I'm sure the old plates would have been back on in no time.

3 cars blocking the guy in over a poxy number plate - OTT IMO!

Maybe they were a bit jealous of the guy's car! Would they have done the same to an old granny?

Oh and there's a teenage type around me who has black number plates on his corsa - not been stopped I bet!

sarasquares 29 December 2006 04:59 PM

i got a mahoosive fine for my plate :cry:

filfy 29 December 2006 05:25 PM

I have had my small plate on for nearly 3 years now,but still keep the front one in the boot.In all that time i have only been stoped once about the plate.Said to the officer sorry i was at a car show and i had left my show plate on by misstake,told him my plate was in the boot.He gave me a look as if to say your full of sh1te lets have a look then,the look on his face gave me a cheeky smile and i was sent on my way after being told to change them as soon as i get home:) I suppose i should get on with it really:norty:

Lydia72 29 December 2006 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by D00
3 cars blocking the guy in over a poxy number plate - OTT IMO!

Maybe they were a bit jealous of the guy's car! Would they have done the same to an old granny?

Oh and there's a teenage type around me who has black number plates on his corsa - not been stopped I bet!

I think DonnasRoo is female.:)

Jamo 29 December 2006 05:27 PM

i got loads of fines because of mine, I have it on now but its spaced legally, got to the point they threatened to remove it and put the car on a q plate.

sarasquares 29 December 2006 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by filfy
I have had my small plate on for nearly 3 years now,but still keep the front one in the boot.In all that time i have only been stoped once about the plate.Said to the officer sorry i was at a car show and i had left my show plate on by misstake,told him my plate was in the boot.He gave me a look as if to say your full of sh1te lets have a look then,the look on his face gave me a cheeky smile and i was sent on my way after being told to change them as soon as i get home:) I suppose i should get on with it really:norty:

i said exactly the same when i kept getting stopped but it was the same cop everytime so i didnt work :(

sarasquares 29 December 2006 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
i got loads of fines because of mine, I have it on now but its spaced legally, got to the point they threatened to remove it and put the car on a q plate.

when i went to court for mine the cop asked for the courts to confiscate my plate but the court said that it wasnt down to them to do it. but if i do it again i dont think i will be so lucky:wonder:

jd5217 29 December 2006 05:34 PM

got black & silver on mine. not illegal here, but got stopped in Taunton.

sarasquares 29 December 2006 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by jd5217
got black & silver on mine. not illegal here, but got stopped in Taunton.

one rule for one......................:p

jd5217 29 December 2006 05:50 PM

dont think speed cameras like the black & silver though

EmEm 29 December 2006 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by D00
Illegal Number Plates - Do you have them? What's your oppinions?

Just ordered a very small front one for the car - but have reservations about using it

I have a small plate on the front of my car and as yet, have not been pulled over. I have the Japanese size on the rear, and have been told its the wrong size for the rear, but it was ok when I had it on my 4x4 jap import?
Dont worry about it. If you get pulled, just act dumb...just say your sorry, you bought the car with it on and you will get it changed. I know someone who is always getting tugged for the "illegal" plates.
The small front plate looks cool, and suits the car better than the normal size plates.

scoobydoobydean 29 December 2006 06:25 PM

:luxhello: Ive had a private plate on all sorts of cars and never been pulled over once. Ive had small letters and large spacing. My new plate one of the letters actually looks like number. Its just luck of the draw really. Im all for them. :luxhello:

F1 CJE UK 29 December 2006 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by AsianGunner
on my front i have legal sized numbers but not much excess plate

yep me to, never had any probs so far and it does look much better :thumb:

Abdabz 29 December 2006 06:51 PM

My plate is private and legally spaced.

I hold the owners of illegally spaced plates with the same contempt as those who drive with their foglights on - spakkers who think it's "proper cool and clever" to JUST step over the line :nono:
Renounce your illegal plates and join me in the waving, at those who do not, in a manner that questions the drivers personal habits :)

sarasquares 29 December 2006 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Abdabz
My plate is private and legally spaced.

I hold the owners of illegally spaced plates with the same contempt as those who drive with their foglights on - spakkers who think it's "proper cool and clever" to JUST step over the line :nono:
Renounce your illegal plates and join me in the waving, at those who do not, in a manner that questions the drivers personal habits :)

i'm with you on this one, now i have been done i cant affort to have an illegal plate anymore as the local cop is out to get me, so when i see illegal plates i get really angry because i cant do it and i still want to.....i sometimes feel like reporting them;)

BAN ALL ILLEGAL PLATES AND THIER DRIVERS:luxhello::luxhello:

:lol1:

Maz 29 December 2006 07:09 PM

I have had small ones on mine for a while with absolutely no problems.

Before. http://i18.tinypic.com/29yk491.jpg

After. http://i12.tinypic.com/47jrei9.jpg

mickywrx 29 December 2006 07:10 PM

Not had any hassle with my vynyl number plate :norty: Can't be having something gettin in the way of my FMIC.
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...x/Finished.jpg

richiewong 29 December 2006 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by AsianGunner
on my front i have legal sized numbers but not much excess plate, basically its 16" x 3.5"

Likewise, legal font, slightly smaller plate but does not draw attention.